Warning to Fishkeepers - Giant Fish for Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SalmonAfrica, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Aceman

Aceman

This gives me a whole new perspective on wanting to keep "exotic" fish...........:unsure:

2. Guest

3. AKovarsky

AKovarsky

You see so many Panganthius sharks in pet shops and when you speak to people they have them. They have been told that they will grow to the size of the tank. What a lie.

4. HvNDhF

HvNDhF

It is actually so sad to see that in almost every LFS I walk into they have the Pagasius Catfish for sale...

They sell them as community fish, and people buy them because of bad advice.

I actually took the one salesman on in a store and told the client that this fish can grow up to 4 Feet in the wild

5. TigerBarb

TigerBarb

Pleco

Amazing thread, thank you.

I`m feeling worried now cause i was told that a Common Pleco would be fine in a 300 Liter tank.
    That would be the (pet shop) --->

6. F1refly

F1refly

It will be. For a while...

7. Charine

Charine

This is a great thread!! I will post a similar one myself with similar experiences in hopes that it would create more awareness. Not one LFS I visited had ever given me advice on which tank size I would need for certain fish, luckily I am well read on any fish before I purchase. When they do give advice, it is completely wrong. My fiance went to our lfs a week ago in search of a dwarf gourami. They didn't have in stock and the owner suggested he get two small eels instead. He googled them on the spot and found that they grow to 1m in length! How could she advise this purchase without even checking if we have a big enough tank, and surely no common fish owner has a tank big enough for two 1m eels! She also adives we put aggressive fish with our parrot fish, which in fact is bossy and territorial but not aggressive enough to keep with other aggressive fish, they don't even have teeth! I saw a parrot and oscar together once and the poor parrot was bitten several places and very frightened. I also wanted a female BN Pleco and she told me that there is no way of sexing them, while with BN plecos it is quite obvious as the male have many and long whiskers where the female has very few or none at all...This I found quite quickly on the internet, I have no idea how she owns a pet store when she obviously has no idea how to care for them. I am by no means an expert and have so much to learn still, but I feel that lfs owners should know their facts before selling and giving advice. I feel like they only do it for the money, they don't even bother asking for the size of your tank and whether you already have other fish etc to check compatibility. I have only been doing this for about 4 months and can already tell when they are talking crap.She also has about 20 extremely small jars, about 200ml of water with Beta fish (siamese fighting fish) in them and she sells them with the jar and tells people that you can keep them in that jar and also sells the beta kits. If you read anywhere on the internet you will find that they do need proper filtration and steady water temp as well. You can't just stick them in a jar and feed them food, they also need place to swim!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Rainstorm likes this.
  8. Jwh

Jwh

Welcome to the wonderful world of fish keeping in SA! This is a frustration most of us share every time we visit LFS's.

9. Ortaega

Ortaega

One of the LFS shops in Boksburg over the weekend was very ignorant in explaining to a customer how big Pangasius Catfishes grow.

He called someone for assistance and asked for 6 of them. After the guy left to get his bag and net I quickly asked the guy out of interest as I expected he would have a nice big tank and might be working on a nice future aquarium. He told me he had a standard 4 foot aquarium and assumed that this would be sufficient for these little guys as they were 3 - 4 cm big. I briefly showed him a few pictures and referred him to go and visit a close by lfs which have a few very big ones and to go and have a look at them.

The guy thanked me and did not go forward with the sale. What happens, I do not know. I just hope this guy learned a valuable lesson and that he must do some research before adding fish to his aquarium. I myself wanted some of these and have almost taken the risk. This website educated me more in making choices when getting fish although I will not say I'm 100% safe but I do ensure that if the fish get to big that I get better/bigger homes from them.

10. Jwh

Jwh

The 6 tankbusters you'll pretty much find at any shop:

bala sharks
    tinfoil barbs
    hi-fin leopard pleco/ gibbiceps
    oscars
    clown knife fish
    pangasius/ iridescent shark

11. Ortaega

Ortaega

Went to 3 different shops in last 4 days and at all of them 5 out of 6 of the above mentioned were available at all of these stores.

12. Charine

Charine

Don't forget the "tiny" common plecos

13. RABUBI

RABUBI

So would the Chinese sailfin sucker then be good pondfish? I see on the first page it prefer cold water?

14. Charine

Charine

It would depend on your pond size.

15. RABUBI

RABUBI

1500 litres, with a bigger one in planning for September (at least 8000L)

Are they freely available, and do they eat goldfish?

16. Jwh

Jwh

you see them from time to time, no they won't eat goldfish, you'll probably need to provide around 1000l per fish.

17. Titanreaper

Titanreaper

Great info, thanks!

18. Arno

Arno

As a new hobbyist myself, I find that some pet shops (especially the more general ones) really don't have the knowledge to assist new hobbyists in buying the appropriate fish for their tank size, setting them up for failure. There are however many at least 2 in my area (PTA East) that Have helped and guided me in making good and appropriate choices for my tank size. It is important to note this does not negate the responsibility of a new fish keeper to do the research himself... This thread absolutely needs a Sticky!

Titanreaper likes this.
  19. David Kusner

David Kusner

This happend to me a couple of times years back when I got my first 1.5m tank, bought a Hi-Fin Pentgasius, it grew to monster size. In the and I had to give it away to one of the petshops that specialized in fish. Then again with some guramies that turned out to be the giant species and very aggressive. Great Thread!!

20. Saturn

Saturn

Would love a tank that can host giant fish. not to be sadly mabye one day...

21. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Saw someone locally trying to sell their paroon/irredescant sharks for R800 each... Poor tankbusters.

Recent Posts