The fishy room.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bart, Jan 18, 2019.

1. OP
    Bart

Bart

@Reedfish. I bought 4. As it worked out 2 males and 2 female's The one male is very aggressive so he is on a time out. The one pair i have, has a lot of hiding spaces in the tank and they get along just fine without any aggressive behavior. This morning i couldn't find the fry. Later found the mother with the fry in one of the caves. It is very interesting how the tangs do thing different from each other.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yup, they are a fascinating group of fish to keep.
    If I was ever to change my setup, I would def put together some sort of Tang community.

4. David Kusner

David Kusner

@Bart, your discus are beautiful. Its one of the things I have on my bucket list, that I will get around to shortly.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. David Kusner

David Kusner

Couldnt agree with you more!! Once you're hooked your hooked. LOL.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. OP
    Bart

Bart

Just an update.

The leleupi fry are getting nice and fat and big:thumbup:. The male are not leaving them alone for one minute, the female is just hiding in the upside down pots. And only peeks out once in a while.

The Sailfin mollies. Well they are just that a huge amount of mollies. If anyone is interested in some please contact me if you want to swop some fish or anything.

The discus, my pride and joy, they are still loving it and they may be showing breeding activity but still too early to tell or they are just playing around. (Let’s hope for the first).

I bought some BN from my LFS and received fin rot with them:eek:, likely I treated it and they were in a quarantine tank but I lost 3 and only have 3 left. So with time I will have to get some again.

The bettas are going on nicely, will start to breed one pair soon.;)

Also looking to get some Julies soon and have a tank spare for them also and to get more discus.

Then I bought and tank with fish from a private seller and now I am sitting with 3 huge silver dollars. 2 Pangasius about 10cm and 3 ghost knife fish, of which I love and they are in my main show tank and getting nice and big. Also the 45cm Plego found a home in my friend’s koi pond with temp control. So if any one is interested in the dollars or Pangasius feel free to contact me. As I need to make space for the mollies in the winter. I love the silver dollars but they also love my plants in the main tank:D.

Still loving the hobby and also very interesting to spent time with all the fishys.:lol:

7. OP
    Bart

Bart

So yesterday morning when I went to feed my fish I had an emergency. Due to eskom and the loadshedding I lost 3 out of my 4 air pumps. I had to just into rescue mode and start replacing water and pumps and had to clean my main Sailfin mollies tub. Luckily I was not alone and received some help from the supervisor.
    .IMG_20190316_091126.jpg IMG_20190316_080838.jpg IMG_20190316_085520.jpg
    While I was at it I also rehomed most of the fish and separate some species that have co-exists.
    IMG_20190317_093344.jpg
    IMG_20190317_093320.jpg

After finishing the tub I saw that I lost some females. Luckily I have stocked up 70 molies in a separate tank and decided to enlarge my Mollie breeding program as the 70 have start to breed in my raising tanks. I now have 75 + breeding molies and about 150 at 4cm and a huge amount of fry. Also I have some impressive strains coming through that I am excited about.
    IMG_20190316_084049.jpg IMG_20190316_084146.jpg IMG_20190316_084239.jpg IMG_20190316_084719.jpg

When the day was done I had opened 5 tanks. A 1.8m, 1.5m, 60cm and 40cm x2 tanks.

I also increased my lights in the leleupi tank to get more algae growth for the fry, and it worked. They are nice and fat and are just moving around the tank like mad and putting on some size.

Looking forward to next coming months as I am going to make my own external filters with a great idea that I have had, also to increase my racking systems and more tanks of course for more lake tangs fishys.

Slade likes this.
  8. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Looks awesome. Sorry about the loss of fish. Eishkom is doing a good job at making fishkeeping difficult.

By the way, do you have any plain black mollies? I'm looking for a male sailfin black Molly. I have a dalmatian male, but looking for plain black.

Bart likes this.
  9. OP
    Bart

Bart

@Lowflyer7 .
    I only have the one male now.I have some black fry but they are still small.

10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Bart,

Progressing nicely :thumbup:

Bart likes this.
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Bart,

Its looking great, the tubs look very nice too

Sorry you lost some fish... this load shedding is really ridiculous now..
    Between twelve last night and now, we have been off a total of 9 hours!!
    And we scheduled for another four and half hours at 8 tomorrow mornung

12. Slade

Slade

Loadshedding I'm sitting in the dark right now listening to the deafining silence of no filters running... everytime the powers out I can't sleep/rest until the powers back on and I've checked that everyrhing is running properly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

13. OP
    Bart

Bart

Sorry for being quite for so long. A lot has happened some for the best and some for the worst. I lost about 250 sailfin mollies due to a mistake made by myself. So that was a turning point of just almost stopping everything... I just took a back seat move al my fish into 3 tanks for better and easier maintenance. The leleupi fry are starting to grow now as thay grow slowly and loving them. I started full steam again thanks to the BS that i have in an convict tank. With about 30 convict and 4 BS i woke up to vind 6 baby BS. Did not expect that and that was what i needed. I move the fish out to grow out tanks an even my cori cats joined and spawned. So i have a few fry now. So i rearrange my fish room and today introduced more tanks. Now i am on 12, four is cycling and one is done cycling. For now it will house the BS. Then they will more each pair to their own tank. So i have an open 1.3m again and looking for shellies stil in RTB. I will add pics tomorrow. Looking forward to the new challenge and also some tetras will be in them mix.

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Im so sorry to hear @Bart!!

This is an awesome hobby but can be ruthless sometimes too... I think many of us have been down that road too...

Sometimes you just want to throw in the towel and give up... but our love for the fish does eventually win and takes yo back again
    Sometimes you need time to heal..

Glad your little BN's brought you some joy and gave you the bump in the behind to get going again!!
    All the best going forward and nice to have you back

15. OP
    Bart

Bart

The new era has begun.

I have moved the new tanks around to fit as nicely as possible in the room.

The best part is that I went to get some neon’s to try and see if I can breed them, I added them to the new breeding tanks for my brittle nose, it is a 1.2 meter and overkill I know but I want to test something that I have been working on.

Also my cory cats are doing great and they will be ready to spawn again this coming week.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

16. OP
    Bart

Bart

The pics. Stil a work in progress.

IMG_20190505_174408.jpg

IMG_20190505_174319.jpg

IMG_20190505_174314.jpg

IMG_20190505_174253.jpg

IMG_20190505_174246.jpg

IMG_20190505_174154.jpg

IMG_20190505_102143.jpg

IMG_20190505_174240.jpg

Reedfish, Barry Roux and MariaS like this.
  17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I think its looking amazing!

Well done, all the best with your breeding plans

18. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Looking good .. keep the pictures coming.

Later Ferdie

19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Fish, coming along nicely. And especially well done with the fry.

20. OP
    Bart

Bart

It has been a while since updating.

If I look at my setups from where it was as to where it is now. It just blows my mind. I will load new pics tomorrow

Let me start with the neon’s. I bought 8 of them and I have 5 females and 3 male and they are still going strong. I conditioned them for more than a month to see if I can breed them. I started setting up the tank of Monday by using my friend google. I sterilised some peat moss and added it to the tank with water from one of my aquariums to get everything up and running. I then took out 80% of the water (the tank is a small 1 foot) and added 30 % tank water and 50 % RO water with pp 006 TDS.

So I ended up with about pp 45 TDS. I then decide to give it a go and see what happens. On Wednesday night I introduced my pair into the tank and switched off the lights. The next morning I swapped the tank lids and I put a dim light on for the neon’s at 6am. At 7 am spawning started over a plant put in with some breeding mops. Unfortunately I had to go to work and only arrived at home at 15:00 and I removed both parents as spawning was done. I observed the male what look like trying to keep the female away from the spawning area. Today will be the day to see if the will start to be free swimming. I feel that this has already been a success and that I will only get better with breeding them. For the raising part I have everything going nicely and waiting for them. I have another tank ready and waiting to see if I get them through a week then I will spawn another batch and update with photos this time.

My bronze corys turned into breeding machines once I introduced them to the correct parameters. At this moment I have two tanks from 2 different batches and I am standing on about 100 fry of about 3 weeks old and loving them. This is a major improvement from only getting 10 out from my very first batch. The idea with the corys and neon’s is to introduce them to my 1.8 meter in the house with only my discus to have a more natural feel to it. I believe with about 100 neon’s and about 40 corys it would look amazing.

The BN have spawned again and I have about 25 babies from this batch, or the 25 I could see as I did not remove them from the breeding tank with the Neon’s and the 4 big BN. They are going on nicely and just love cucumbers. I am making sure they are eating enough that they do not turn to the smaller BN that’s about 4 weeks old (almost).

My leleupi has started to show breeding behaviour again but only time will tell as I move the tank layout a bit more to give the female more hiding places, at this moment they are always in one pot. So I am expecting some fry soon or hoping for some fry.

I love convicts so I took the best male and best albino female I have and they spawned. The fry will be free swimming tomorrow and just love how they protect their young.

I have a few open tanks that are fully cycled and ready for fish but I am waiting form some fish to arrive hopefully soon. I will post some pics tomorrow of the fish room.

Also the led tube lights I have installed on almost all my tanks are working 100% and the plants are growing nicely.

last but not least the leleupi fry and some 2 month old cory fry and some sailfin molly fry are enjoying the grow out tank and just chasing each other around.

Looking forward to the neon babies for now. Cheers

Chandz likes this.
  21. OP
    Bart

Bart

Sorry for the long read. :tt2::oops::D

Recent Posts