New Planted Set-up

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by TetraJacques, Aug 13, 2019.

1. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I saw at my LFS they sell it loose, I actually bought my phosphate test kit loose the past weekend.

I had a look at my set and it expired this month. Bad timing lol:lol:. I saw quite a good JBL set this weekend that I think I should get. 55257.png
    I don't think I'll get a proper reading until I get a new test kit.

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

If it only expired this month, it should still give you accurate readings for a while as they dont expire exactly on that day so dont throw it away yet
    Just compare the reading to the reading of your new test and see first

Mine had expired months ago and one is still accurate and giving the same reading as my new JBL one
    The other is out by 0.5 so i threw that one away

4. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I'll hang on to it for now until I can get a new kit. Thank you. I'll keep updating as soon as theres progress.

5. David Kusner

David Kusner

I tried JBL and Serra and both have different readings on the same tank when it came to Ph. Ammonia readings were close. I also experimented with Pool test strips just for Ph measurement and it have the same reading as the Serra Ph test.

So I ordered a PH test pen (Havent got it yet so cannot comment on results yet). I saw on one of the youtube channel's that I follow, called Marks Aquatics, he seems to swear by the readings of these pens as long as they are calibrated correctly and he breeds all sorts of species.

I never used to worry about any of this stuff but with multiple tanks now I have to check from time to time especially when I suspect that something is off.

As for C02 I am also about to venture down that road and yes I agree its the fear of the unknown, hence I have been doing as much research as I can. One of the tips I found about effectively disolving and distributing the C02 effectively was to have the C02 diffuser near the intake of a canister filter, that way the C02 is sucked up inside the canister and the bubbles are shredded by the impeller and dissolved in the water and sent back into the tank. I think I saw it on aquarium co-op channel.

Perhaps the more seasoned aquascapers can chime in on this.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  6. louwla83

louwla83

TetraJacques and A new day like this.
  7. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

My CO2 is perfect now. All I do is try and keep as many bubbles in the water as possible.

My plants on the left side of the tank that's not even close to the CO2 diffuser has small bubbles under the leaves. The more bubbles you see "the more light/CO2/nutrients are being converted into oxygen". I'm happy with the placement of my diffuser and also my spraybar fits exactly at the back of my tank. I even removed my wavemaker.

There's definitely enough flow and CO2 in my tank now. It took me about two weeks and a lot of shifting and trying different things to get this dialed.

The guy at my LFS also recommended I put a small power head in the tank and place my diffuser underneath it. Problem with this is my plants take a beating from the water current so I don't do it like that.

Good luck with you journey into CO2 injection. Its a slow process to get everything balanced but it's worth the wait. I think my surprises will still come.

David Kusner and A new day like this.
  8. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Tested tap water for PH and its on 6.8. Did my other tests again last night and exactly the same as yesterday.

9. David Kusner

David Kusner

Yup one thing this hobby will teach you is patients, perseverance and not to rush things. Actually that's 3 things.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

TetraJacques likes this.
  10. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Very true, many aquarium hobbyist don't make it two years because of the hurdles. I myself did it for about 1.5 years and almost gave up completely. I just gathered my thoughts, started to do a lot of research and tried again and I'm very happy today!!!

I think one thing that's very important is the equipment you use (not saying a you should by the most expensive), daily maintenance and inspection on fish and water quality.

A new day likes this.
  11. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Did some more tests tonight and the only difference is nitrates shot up to between 10 and 15ppm from 1 the previous two nights. Nitrite is still 0.05, ammonia <0,05 and phosphate <0,02. PH still an issue at around 6 and KH still at 2.

Fish and shrimp are doing well except for my one glow light that's still floating around but alive :(. Don't really know what to do. I'm suspecting it's swim bladder disorder so I'll get some frozen peas tomorrow and feed them that rather than their freez dried food that they usually get on Fridays.

If you guys can think of anything else please let me know regarding the glow light.

12. A new day

A new day

How’s your glow light doing?

13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Can't find him, I have been looking since I got home. I think he is somewhere between the plants. I'll keep searching.

A new day likes this.
  14. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Update on tank. Things are coming along pretty well. I've removed the cobra grass though and most plants need still need to gro in after the trimming the other day. I'm still trying to get the java moss to take off. If it doesn't look beter in a couple of weeks I'll replace it with healthier ones
    DSC_0260.JPG DSC_0258.JPG DSC_0259.JPG DSC_0257.JPG

15. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Just realised the growth from Saturday's update to now and what an improvement!!!

A new day and necris like this.
  16. A new day

A new day

Looks great - so lush and healthy! And yes, awesome growth :thumbup:
    Yeah give the moss some time I think. The hydrocotyle tripartita (spelling?) looks nice.

TetraJacques likes this.
  17. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I think I just need to add a small midground plant in the red area. I don't like the look of the rotala nanjenshan straight out of the substrate like that. It looks a buit bare. Any suggestions or should I leave it is? _20190914_113034.JPG _20190914_113129.JPG

18. A new day

A new day

Perhaps transplant one or two small cuttings of hydro?

19. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I thought of that. Will go to LFS now and first see what they have available

A new day likes this.
  20. A new day

A new day

“I’m just going to the lfs quickly to see what they have / buy 1 small plant” :lol::lol::lol:
    Let’s see if you have better impulse control than I do :thumbup:

louwla83 and T. Guppy like this.
  21. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

LOL :lol: Well the plants was a complete disaster but I ended up with a PH pen and they finally got oto's so I added 3. They did have some large Ludwigias I suspect but I walked away, returned again and then convinced myself I don't have space for it :D Think I've got enough red plants if not to many.

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts