New Planted Set-up

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by TetraJacques, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I would give it a try, the cucumber cant harm anyone
    Your corries will definitely enjoy the cucumber

As for the Rainbow shark... only time will tell what will happen long term
    They usually get more and more agro with age but as with many other things you do get the odd exception so you will just have to monitor him

2. Guest

3. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

After a long wait my tank is finally completed except for the CO2 which should be delivered today.

I made some changes to the substrate and added JBL Aquabasis at the bottom for long term storage of nutrients and capped it with the Amazonia II.
    The filter has also been replaced with a Tetra EX600 Canister Filter.

Complete Plant list:

1. Ludwigia sp Rubin

2. Rotala Rotundifolia

3. Rotala sp. H’Ra (Gai Lai)

4. Rotala sp. Green

5. Rotala Nanjenshan

6. Hygrophila Coryombrosa Stricta

7. Hygrophila Coryombrosa Angustifolia

8. Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'

9. Hygrophila Difformis

10. Alternanthera Reineckii Lilacina

11. Star Grass

12. Staurogyne repens

13. Hydrodoctyle Tripartita

14. Bucephelandra Type 3

15. Cobra grass

16. Nymphaea micrantha

17. Nymphaea lotus 'Red'

18. Vallisneria

19. And one plant in its emerged form which is still changing but I thinks it’s a rotala species

All the rotalas are still in the emerged form, once they change everything will look different.

1.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  4. Cale24

Cale24

Awesome - that is gonna explode with CO2 added. :cool:

A new day and TetraJacques like this.
  5. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Ok, I received my CO2 system and as a bonus my LFS ordered a mix of 24 amino and cherry shrimps for me. Just as a gift to say thanks.

This was kind of a surprise to me as I've never owned or even thought of having shrimps. I know nothing about them but just another thing to take on.

I should perhaps have a look at the fish I'm planning to add to the tank. Exciting things are happening and I can't wait for the end result once everything has established!!

T. Guppy, Cale24 and A new day like this.
  6. A new day

A new day

Wow that’s great!!

TetraJacques likes this.
  7. A new day

A new day

I think you better start getting a second tank going because you have enough plants for it :lol:
    Seriously dude, it looks great! Well done:thumbup:

8. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thank you, I finally got the CO2 dialed in last night (let me just say this is not as easy as it looks on Youtube) I ended up rushing to my LFS yesterday afternoon to buy a wave maker. That log creates a lot of dead spots in the tank!!!! but the wave maker is making a hell of a difference.

These plants must still transform to the submerged state, so as soon as that has happened and I do trimmings I'll kindly donate to anyone who asks. There's no need for me to hold on to it or to chuck it away if someone can use it. I also don't want to start another planted tank. I have a 150l sump system that I want to use for Cichlids, but that will have to wait for now.

A new day likes this.
  9. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Guys some help here please.
    I tested my water for amonia etc. and saw my nitrate level is at 0. Should I worry about this during the second week of the setup?

I am dosing SCAPE complete every morning. My lights only come on at 3 in the afternoon and CO2 an hour earlier.

Note the tank is still cycling.

10. A new day

A new day

What’s your ammonia and nitrites?

11. A new day

A new day

If I remember correctly you’re doing a fishless cycle, which will take longer so probably nothing out of the ordinary. The beneficial bacteria need an ammonia source to establish themselves, which could be from:
    - fish poop (not in your tank), but the fastest way
    - decomposing plant matter
    - dechlorinator (a smaller amount of ammonia is released as byproduct) probably negligible
    - you could add a pinch of fish food as ammonia source

12. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Yes fishless cycle. Apparently the amazonia soil releases ammonia for the first month. The ammonia and nitrite tests was quite low though.

13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Ammonia between 0,05 and 0,1 ppm
    Nitrite between 0,01 and 0,05 ppm

14. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I did add Sera filter biostart though. I don't usually do this for tanks but wanted to speed things up a bit

15. A new day

A new day

Yes the ammonia and nitrites are very low, with the ammonia still higher than nitrites, and nitrates 0 so very early stages / low activity.

Do you think the Amazonia leaches enough ammonia on its own to feed the bb you added in the beginning? They’ll populate according to food source (ammonia) available and will die off without enough food.

I’ve never done a totally fishless cycle but on the 65L I added hardy fish on day 10 only, and by day 8 the nitrates were already 10 and ammonia 0.

If you want to speed things up you could add Stability for 8 days. Also, if your filter has the option of adding matrix that will provide a wonderful home for bb to grow on.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  16. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I've got the Tetra EX600 Cansiter filter, at the bottom is Tetra Ceramic Rings, second layer is Tetra BB Bio balls and at the top a filter floss pad. I just removed the carbon pads. There is enough space for Matrix but do you think I would still need it if I have the ceramic rings in? I'm on day 14 of the new setup. Should I take the risk and add my Xray Tetras?

17. A new day

A new day

Ok so no you’re probably sorted with the rings and bio balls. I don’t know how hardy Xray tetras are, perhaps others can help.
    I used my platys (very hardy) and Seachem Prime to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrites during the cycling process. Plus the Seachem Stability to introduce the beneficial bacteria over 8 days. The platys have cycled both my tanks and they’re fine - continued to breed like rabbits throughout the process :lol:

18. A new day

A new day

Although matrix is almost a miracle product. The way @Hawk described it to me is that matrix is the Ferrari and ceramic rings/noodles the Toyota :thumbup:

19. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I've used the Xrays twice after rebuilding and they still perfect so ill employ them for thids job again :thumbup:
    Ill have a look for these products and try it, one problem is my LFS doesn't sell Seachem products but will look online. I'll just add the matrix on top of the rings.

A new day likes this.
  20. A new day

A new day

I landed with my bum solidly in the butter with one of the many freebies I got from @Hawk : all the used aquasoil at the back of my 180L mixed in with at least a liter of matrix (from a dismantled tank). All he asked for is that I pay it forward, that’s why I’ll be giving away plants, platy fry and whatever else for years to come :)

Yes the matrix rises to the surface but because it’s behind the rocks and covered with plants it’s not noticeable. That tank is unbelievably stable as a result. You could put matrix in mesh bags/pantyhose hidden under your rocks. Not saying it’s necessary but I’m in awe of matrix, Stability and Prime.

Cale24 and TetraJacques like this.
  21. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Wish I had a 180l to play with, in fact I would enjoy even larger than that. After this tank I have so many ideas of different scapes I would like to do but space becomes a problem.
    Ill do my sump tank next but that will only happen in a month or so. I also wanna do a low tech tank with anubias, java fern and what ever else that doesn't need a lot of light.

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts