My Tanks

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by BoelderBeestie, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Whoknows

Whoknows

2. Guest

3. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

4. A new day

A new day

Awesome!
    :thumbup:

5. LeeMichael

LeeMichael

I’m definitely going to have to see these in real life one day

6. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I must say I never got why everyone liked rays so much, now I understand. Cutest creatures ever. When they get used to you they press their noses up against the glass and you can see their mouths and it looks like they are smiling hehehe, so cute.

MariaS and A new day like this.
  7. David Kusner

David Kusner

Yup their are certain fish which just catch your heart and once done you become a fan for life. They look awsome. Definitely on my bucket list and getting closer to the top of the list.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

8. WernerP

WernerP

Beautiful!

9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@BoelderBeestie !!!! Oh WOW.. I missed this with all the goings on over Christmas!!!!

You did????

They are beautiful, congratulations!!!!

Yep.. Rays are very dangerous.... they take your heart and boy oh boy that's it you hooked
    They have a character that just interacts with you in such a way that you cant explain to people as they just dont understand

10. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Thanks @MariaS They are very tame now and coming to my hand when doing maintenance. Haha not used to that yet, their stingers have also gotten longer. Theirs are at the top, the marine ones that I've seen are at the bottom of the ray. Top is better as you can see it and know its there haha. Has anyone you know been stung by the Leopoldi's? The encounter my brother had with the marine ray was a nightmare. The one that stung him was the Blue spotted ray and was wondering if the leopoldi's sting are the same, basically 3 days of agony, lots of antibiotics and nerve damage around the wound.

MariaS likes this.
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@BoelderBeestie , I dont know of anyone locally being stung but a lot of the people I chat to overseas have been and from what im told, the sting has the same effect as a marine ray
    First two or three days is utter agony however, they say if you soak the wound in VERY hot water (as hot as you can tolerate} it relieves the pain and tends to reduce the effects of the venom
    The venom does tend to kill the tissue/flesh around it
    Obviously how deep the sting goes will make a difference to the extent of the wound

This being said, trust me.... they dont just sting you for no reason and in fact if startled they will fly away across the tank rather than sting you
    If you corner them, its then very possible that they will sting as they have no where to run but again, @Cesar corners the big rays to move around when needed and they have never tries to spike him, only when he lifts them out the water do they splash around and sometimes whip the tail which can accidentally spike you if you not careful but Im now talking about 30/50 cm rays

As far as working in the tank, if they come to your hand, just relax and let them come they will not come to deliberately spike you
    Keep your hand still, let them smell and investigate and they will go away
    In time you can even gently push them away but.. they just come back again
    As long as they come to you, it means they in their comfort zone although you might not be... but relax.. be gentle and you fine
    Let them take food from your hand, thats fine too
    If I know you... you gentle with your fish, you dont have to worry

As for the sting, you will eventually see another sting start growing from under the old sting, that means a few weeks later the old sting will fall off
    Keep an eye out then, you will see that when the new one gets bigger it starts lifting the old one and if you are observant, your gut feeling will tell you its about to fall off
    You must pick up fallen stinger straight away as they can injure themselves on them if they swim over them at the "right" angle and pierce their belly
    Remember that the old stinger stays venomous for a few months so always hold it from the base and dont touch the sharp side
    Ideally, pick it up from the tank with tongs in case something bumps your hand and it hurts you
    Once out the water, as i said, hold it from the base and either collect them (I keep all of mine) or dispose of it in a way that no one can get hurt

All the best with them, they will bring you loads of joy
    Anything else you want to know, ask anytime.. if I can.. always help

Watch this crazy ray of mine when i try clean...

12. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Thanks for the info @MariaS , needed to know where I stand with them, It seems the barbs where cut off for shipping as they only grew back here by me. I can see the second barb forming now also. Yes they don't seem aggressive like the marine ones, only curious. Never thought they would be so interactive with us though.

MariaS likes this.
  13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Always a pleasure

Sometimes they cut the barb and sometimes they put a sheath of plastic over it for shipping

They are incredably interactive with you which is why they really take your heart!!

Recent Posts