My Tanks

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by BoelderBeestie, Oct 4, 2016.

1. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Hey broccoli is awesome hahaha.

Hendre likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@f-fish This is the best I've seen fish travel in my life. Thought they'll be pitch black, burned fins and hugging corners. Non of that, just a little barring and it's getting less everyday. They are eating and swim around without problems, they seem to like very small food particles. I had one that was a little shy because the water in his bag went a little off but he's bouncing back now and joined the others yesterday. Considering the time and distance they traveled I couldn't ask for better. Now to get them fat.

4. Ebrahim

Ebrahim

Very nice tanks and fish

5. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Long time since last update. I built a new filter in the mean time and thought I would share. The idea was to add as much water volume as I could while making it easy to clean and not cost a fortune. I got a quote for a sump that would do the same but the price was just insane. I then got 2 food grade barrels and made a recirculating wet dry filter instead. It is basically 2x25L buckets where the water trickles through and fall into the barrels and gets recirculated by the pump barrel with a spray bar. The buckets hold 10kg of ceramics each with floss on top and a fine mesh to catch big particles.

Here's the result.
    20181005_193743.jpg

Top view.
    20181005_193803.jpg

Where it comes from the tank via a overflow box.
    20181005_194219.jpg

The recirculating sprayer.
    vlcsnap-2018-10-18-09h24m00s12.jpg

The water coming from the tank via overflow box.
    vlcsnap-2018-10-18-09h24m18s31.jpg

So far I'm very happy with the end result. I've been doing maintenance once a week and replacing 200L of water but I'm going to see how long it holds the water quality. I don't see any parameter change in a week. Everything stays so low that my tests can't pick it up. The system can hold 900L but to make it flood proof I'm running between 700-800L to allow for a siphon break. The pump is a 5000lp/h dab nova submersible with a float. It's lifted to a height inside the barrel to allow it to kick off before it overflows the tank in the case of a siphon break.

I've been testing it with 13 fish but it now houses only my 7 wild greens to avoid water changes and to keep the water more stable for them.

6. RobK

RobK

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

8. rsa

rsa

@BoelderBeestie . Very impressed !!!! The ingenuity that people develope being involved in the hobby never ceases to amaze .

9. Innocent159

Innocent159

Keep my slot open for visit after exams

10. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Very well, these wild fish was keeping me very busy. Got the hang of them now so all the drama is over. They are easier in some areas than the domestics but the quirks they do have are serious and tedious to figure out.

They never sit still so getting a good pic is hard.
    20181015_203910.jpg

The pigeon bloods also getting big now.
    20181013_211854.jpg

And sexytimes as usual.
    20181002_200032.jpg

11. hviviers75

hviviers75

Awesome buddy, please post a FTS of these stunning discus

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Those wilds are magnificent @BoelderBeestie !!! They have always been my favourite..

But then so are the pigeon reds...

You have done well, awesome babies.

13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

With all the hybrid / domestic types one sees it is hard to believe that the originals look so cool.

If that is the worst of the issues - what a pleasure, but I am sure this is not the case. Good job in keeping them going and growing.

Later Ferdie

14. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Looking very good. Nice system you have there and the discus look great

15. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Oh no no no hahaha, they brought with them half the flagellates from the amazon, took me 2 months and a brick of metro to sort that out. They where also not taking any food, they eventually took spirolina flakes and bloodworm after a few weeks. Fun times.

16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Just out of curiosity, I assume you did the metro in the water column?

17. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, they weren't eating. Tried all the normal type doses that is all over the net and what people advised but it didn't work. I then asked a friend who is a doctor to explain metro to me. He said that metro is a very weak antibiotic and you must dose high and for at least 5 days but he recommends 10. Ended up dosing 25mg/l. That worked and the flagellates was eliminated and they started eating.

They also brought with a weird bug that is white and in the mouth. I don't know what that was but I did see it move so assume it was some sort of lice. It also didn't spread all over like flukes would do, only one other fish caught it. Two PP baths sorted that out quickly. Now they are clean, eating like pigs and picking up weight. It was extremely stressful, throwing sick skinny fish with chemicals doesn't make them look better at all. They became worse before improving and although I knew this it still doesn't help for your mental well being, I think I dodged 3 heart attacks, a stroke and alienated a few people hahahaha.

18. reuben

reuben

that filter system is so much better than my side filters
    now what do i do with my side filters keep breeding pairs of kribs,

19. RobK

RobK

@BoelderBeestie , how does one start with discus ie what breed and at what cost?

20. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

The type isn't so important, but having the infrastructure before is critical. His words :)

21. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, having everything in place is the way to go otherwise it becomes a nightmare. This goes for the correct tank size, number of fish, water pre filter and prepping and the correct foods. The smaller the water volume the harder you'll work for them. If you have all that in place it's a breeze and you can focus on your fish and enjoy them rather then working your butt off. Buckets and discus gets old fast, so does the garden hose. You want to make everything that's tedious easy and less time consuming. So permanent pipes from water storing barrels to tanks, lift pumps and float valves goes a long way to make the work less hands on and more button pushy.

Strain wise I want to say get what you like but good stock of what you like might not always be available so you'll probably have to settle for the more common strains like turks and pigeon bloods. I like green discus the most and it took 3 years before I got my first group so the wait can be a long one.

And for the tanks themselves, forget about nice, they are tools now. The fish are the important part of the hobby not the plants in a nice tank. I have my pretty planted tanks and I have my dull discus glass boxes.

Recent Posts