Marco's Fish-room

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Marco, May 6, 2016.

1. Cale24

Cale24

Figured I'd post this link at ram HQ haha:

Interesting to see the Israeli farms.

2. Guest

3. BradK

BradK

Love his vids, but i really wanted to see a long video of this fish farm.

4. Cale24

Cale24

Yeah, I thought it would include the video footage they took over there when I posted the link but it seems that's still coming.
    Some nice imagery nonetheless - serious operations over there.

David Kusner likes this.
  5. David Kusner

David Kusner

I also like his channel and have been following him for a while now. He has great knowledge and info on this hobby. I have picked up many useful tips from his video's.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Cale24

Cale24

Here is the video as posted elsewhere by @Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7 likes this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Nice videos, thanks for sharing

If I may suggest... can we post all these videos in their own threads.... we sort of really hi-jacking Marco's fishroom thread with all sorts of posts we find on social media

Nico Hamman likes this.
  8. Cale24

Cale24

Yes sorry I realise! I posted here only because of the ram focus but can delete the posts if need be.

MariaS likes this.
  9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I know... that's ok

10. FischAutoTechGarten

FischAutoTechGarten

Green Valley, AZ, USA and Alamos, SON, MEX
    Marcos, your powder blues.. I like them allot. Did you incorporate the work you were doing with your Perlmut like fish into your line of powder blues? Gorgeous fish.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi there,

Thanks. The Powder Blues are a favourite line of mine also. The colour on them is just amazing.
    The Pearlmutt is actually a spin-off of the Powder Blue line development.
    From a genetic perspective I'd explain it in this way
    A powder blue is a Golden Electric blue, and a Pearlmutt is an Electric blue Golden. Does that make sense to you?

I am busy redeveloping the Pearlmutt line and want to spend some time working on it. Will see what it can develop into

Regards

Marco

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Marco,

Have you got photos of your latest developments?

13. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @Reedfish,

At present I am not really working on anything "new".
    It is not all that easy to develop new lines without either a mutation occurring, or lots of time to pass in order for line breeding to hopefully get you there.

That said, I am trying to achieve a few things.
    I am working on a German Blue line without the black spots on the side. Its not something that really appeals to me, but rather something I can possibly use in a different application. I now have a small % of juveniles that seem to be free from the black markings.

I am also working on a Pearlmutt line again. I want to develop them and see how much can be achieved with it.

On the Dark knights I am striving for an even more solid black body. The fins are now really darkening and I estimate that in 3 to 4 generations I should be very close to solid black fins. You can see the photos
    On the females I am aiming at dorsal ray expression. Its a trait of Dark knights to have quite pronounced dorsal rays, so I would like to get them well developed across all spawns.

Blue Knights - well, these are tricky. They dont breed easily like my other Rams, spawns are small, and results are inconsistent. I would love to get a solid black body with very blue fins. I also want the winning lottery numbers....
    Odds seem about the same on both these

The most excoting thing I am probably busy with is my collection of Wild Caught Columbian Rams.
    They have spawned whilst in QT but I have now moved a pair to a breeding tank and I am hoping for some luck soon.
    They are not spectacular or anything, rather dull actuallg, but from a genetic perspective they should at least offer me a great deal.

I also got some wild caught Guyana red spotted Angels that I am raising. Will see what happens, hopefully they breed for me

I attach some photos of the fish.

Best regards

Marco

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Reedfish, top dog and MariaS like this.
  14. Cale24

Cale24

Stunning as always! Those Dark Knights with the blue fins (Blue Knights?) are seriously beautiful. Lot of breeders abroad seem to be aiming for that exact fish, ha.

Also been reading about some ‘super red’ rams that seem to resemble the gold with the red band down the side? A few generations later and perhaps the red really takes hold?

15. FischAutoTechGarten

FischAutoTechGarten

Green Valley, AZ, USA and Alamos, SON, MEX
    This fish is incredible in terms of it's potential for having Ramirezi that express allot of red.

[​IMG]

At first glance, other than the presence of deeper black banding/spotting... would be interesting to know what it is about that fish that you are developing. Is it just wild stock that you are introducing into your lines? Don't have to answer now.… I'll happily wait for you to reveal something from it in the years to come. :)

[​IMG]

The Dark Knights and the Blue Knights don't need comment. Absolutely stunning. Is the Blue Knight the direction you are going with the Sapphire? Or is the Sapphire still another line you are developing?

Excellent that you are moving forward with your Perlmut line. Are you keeping that European designation or are yours going to be different enough and consistent enough to be a line/strain onto themselves?

I know... I ask allot of questions. LOL. You are doing nice work Marco! Thanks for sharing. Next Spring, I'd love find a way to order a mess of fish from you and have them shipped to the USA!

Let's see:
    6 German Blue
    6 Individuals w/ the Red Banding
    6 Golden
    6 PerlMut
    6 Powder Blue
    6 Dark Knights
    6 Blue Knights
    6 hmmmm of some other future Ramirezi line you are developing.

Did I miss anything? ;p

top dog likes this.
  16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Stunning as always @Marco

The Dark Knights and Blue are simply amazing, you have certainly done a fantastic job....

Good luck with your wild caught, that should be interesting and im sure you have plans up your sleeve with those too!

17. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi Cale24,

Thank you very much.
    I have heard/read numerous times of red Rams, but it always turns out to be nonsense.
    I know there is a chap in Germany, Peter Guennell who has worked extensively on Orange Head Golden Rams. His Rams are nearly orange across approx 50% of the body. Very nice. But they are not red.
    Coincidentally, Peter Guennell was also the first person to breed the Powder Blue Rams.
    Here is a photo of one of his Goldens

[​IMG]

MariaS likes this.
  18. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Thank you very much @MariaS
    I hold thumbs the wilds will breed soon

MariaS likes this.
  19. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

@ODwyerPW,

Thanks for the kind words.

The first fish is the one I have used recently to breed a Blue Ram without the black markings on the flanks. I have about 300 fry from her at 5 week age, and can spot a few here and there that do not have any black matkings on their flanks.
    You are right, she has a very nice pink belly, but the problem is that if developed it will always only be a female trait.

You are quite correct about photo no 2.
    That is a wild caught male. Not much to look at I guess but from a genetic perspective they offer a fresh start.

I stopped using the Sapphire name and went to the original name I used, Blue Knight.
    I will hopefully be able to work on this line for a few years still, and hopefully it eventually develops into the exact fish I envisioned. Its challenging cause to get more blue I am breeding to fish with lots of blue on fins from Electric blue lines. This sets it back 3 generations and makes only very very small improvements on the blue, but with loss of density in black on the body. Hopefully i get there

Pearlmutt was always a line I copied from Peter Guennell. I wont change the name and will rather try and just get it a bit more refined. I, like you believe it still has potential. We live in hope

Not ling amd then the documents for US shipment is ready on my side. Then I can send to you guys sure.

Foe now I am really holding thumbs the Wild Rams breed and do a good job raising their fry. I am very excited and really hope to have some F1 fry very soon

Best regards

Marco

20. Cale24

Cale24

Thanks, that's interesting. Beautiful fish.
    Look forward to seeing all your lines progress,,,

21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Marco,

Thanks for the updates
    Your fish are fantastic.

But.......as I have said before. I think those Dark Knights would look stunning with a red eye :)

Recent Posts