Looking to vacuum tank water but for water to be pumped back into tank.

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Barrymore, Aug 28, 2016.

1. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I went to the pet store to buy a few small surface feeding fish to take care of the food that does not sink. All they could provide me with were three discus. It was a case of will the discus eat the small albino widows or the large fish eat the discus?
    Almost a year down the line and so far no problems. Holding thumbs.

2. Guest

3. jc16

jc16

Ceramic rings are just that, you put in your filter, canister, sump for healthy bacteria to grow on

4. hviviers75

hviviers75

Bud just go to your local petshop and ask for it. They have all sorts but if you can get Seachem Matrix get them lots. But you do need biological media which will convert your nitrates down. You cannot only have sponge. Sounds like you have some type of sump setup in your tank. Please give or show us photos.

The Tranquility Effect

5. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I see that Seachem Matrix comes in 250ml bottles. That means I would need six bottles for my tank size. Is this stuff everlasting or does it simply require cleaning from time to time?

My filter consists of four levels, each with a plastic mesh 450mm x 150mm. Lying on each mesh panel is sponge, same size and 100mm thick. How the muck got through all four sponges into the pump chamber is beyond me.

Would I need to spread this Matrix over all four sponges or do I need to make a basket and replace say the top sponge with basket filled with this matrix? Any advice would be appreciated.

6. hviviers75

hviviers75

Okay quick one yes your first stage must be sponge to remove big particles then your matrix and then lastly you can put filter floss which polishes your water before returning to the tank. Yes you would need 6 x 250ml bottles for your tank and it lasts forever just needs a rinse in tank water now and then. Please try and upload pics of your sump

The Tranquility Effect

7. Pezulu

Pezulu

You get Matrix in various sizes, from 250g, 500g and 1kg.
    A Cascade Canister filter basket takes 1kg of Matrix.

8. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

If I click on "My photos" only three old pics pop up and there is no option to browse my PC for a pic.

9. Pezulu

Pezulu

Go to 'My Computer"
    There should be a list which you can choose from. Select 'Pictures'
    Windows saves pics in that folder by default.

10. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

Do I right click on "my computer" or open it? I cannot find anything that says "select pictures"

11. Pezulu

Pezulu

Click on MY COMPUTER or THIS PC if running Win 10.
    Select PICTURES from the drop down list. It looks like a yellow folder.
    Click on the PICTURES folder.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  12. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I'm using windows 7. I read up on the subject. My PC / C drive /Users /Public / Public pictures.
    I placed a pic in that folder but it is not shown when I click "my photos" in my reply.

13. howard

howard

Eheim Quick Vac Pro Battery Operated Gravel Vacuum

@Barrymore..... Did you find a vac system. I have one that people could not get to work.... Batteries were the wrong way round.... It is called an Eheim Quick Vac Pro.

20160911_184126.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Pezulu

Pezulu

To see a photo in a specific pic in a folder, that photo needs to be saved in that specific folder.
    Imagine putting something in a cupboard, and then looking for it in the fridge. It's not going to be in the fridge, but in the cupboard.

15. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I do not understand your logic. I can place any photo in any folder in my computer but this site does not give me the option to browse my computer. Full stop.

16. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

What exactly is the size of this vac? It looks very small. I have been vacuuming the mold out every day onto toweling over a bucket then I return the clear bucket water back into the tank.

17. Pezulu

Pezulu

The clear water you are returning to your tank is loaded with toxic nitrates.
    It is a wonder any of your fish have survived this long.
    Over 6 pages people have tried to give you advice on how to treat the fish you have in your tank.

You need to do regular water changes, preferably nothing less that 30% per week.
    You need to clean out your filter properly at least ever month, and if you have filter floss and/or batting you need to replace that every 2 weeks.
    From the sound of it, you have a caninster filter, with 4 baskets. The bottom basket should have sponge, then you should have something like Seachem Matrix or ceramic rings in the next 1-2 baskets, with filter floss or batting in the top basket.
    Sponges get saturated with muck, and need to be cleaned out.
    Whatever you do, don't rinse the sponge and/or other filter material under tap water. That will kill off the beneficial bacteria your tank needs to complete the conversion from waste to nitrate.
    Nitrate is toxic to fish, and builds up in the tank unless regular water changes are done. That is the reason the nitrate test you did was "off the charts."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Pezulu

Pezulu

Are you having a problem with loading a picture from to this site?
    That should be just as simple as keeping your tank well maintained.

There is an "insert image" icon on the toolbar. It looks like a square screen to the right of the icon with a red cross.
    Select that "insert image" icon.
    You will have a pop-up appear, that gives you the option of loading a picture either from your computer, or the web.

Capture.JPG

Select "From Computer" tab at the top.
    That will take you to a page where you have a number of files on the left, and as default your Pictures folder open in the right hand winow.

Capture 2.JPG

Select the folder on the left where your pictures are stored in, or the picture in the right hand window, if that folder contains the picture you want.
    The selected picture name will appear in the small window to the right of the "choose file" tab, and "Upload file(s)" will be displayed below that.
    Click on the "upload file(s)" tab.

Capture 3.JPG

The picture will upload, and when that is complete the pop-up window will disappear, and you will have a picture loaded, that will look like this:

Capture 4.JPG

Repeat the process for each picture you want to load.
    Once you have loaded everything select the blue "Post Quick Reply" tab on the bottom right of your page.
    Your text and images will then be displayed.

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 4.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  19. howard

howard

20. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore

I click on "my Photos" and get three drop down menus: Albums / All my photos / Thumbnail linked to gallery.
    Fiddling around with all the options simply displays some old photos that are on my PC, possibly once uploaded to another site.
    Nothing that you have shown seems to be available to me.

Returning clean water back to the tank each day of the week was simply to remove all visible brown algae on the bottom and
    most has now been removed. Each weekend I have removed 100 liters and replaced with "new" water.
    But things go from bad to worse. My two wave makers have just been delivered from Amazon and I now discovered that they have been made for a 120 volt country. What a waste.

21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Pezulu,
    Informative posting on how to upload photos.
    Thanks
    @Barrymore,
    Perhaps there is some sort of issue with your computer not being able to see certain file extensions? (I will refer it to admin anyway)
    Maybe somone in IT can assist?

You may be able to get an adaptor?
    Try an electronics shop.

I think if you are having persistent problems, it may be worth your while to strip down the tank, give it a good scrub, and start again.
    Is there somewhere you can house your fish on a temp basis?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts