Dark knight Ramirezi

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Marco, Mar 29, 2017.

1. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @2time,

No there is no LFS in CT. I do not breed enough to enable me to offer to the shops in CT, I would need to stop other lines and I am not willing to do so.

I can however send some to you via airfreight if you want some.

At present I am focused on the Blue Knights and so they are occupying most of my breeding tanks.

You are welcome to let me know if you are interested.

Best regards

Marco

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Jonathan O'Duffy

Jonathan O'Duffy

Hey @Marco ,

Since you created the Dark Knight Rams, and you are currently working on the Blue Knights.
    Would it be possible to create Gold Knights and Red Knight Rams?

I am just thinking of the other ways the genes could evolve and mix with other Ram types.
    Ballon Rams to me look like giant heads in a tank, but I guess it is possible to create Dark Knight Ballon Rams, or even long fin versions.

4. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I'm thinking gold would be possible if he finds the mutation. No clue for red!

5. Jonathan O'Duffy

Jonathan O'Duffy

Gold would be cool.

I am sure it takes a long time and selective breeding of each fry along the way to get the right qualities. I am currently going over the old posts about the Knight Rams and learning.
    It's pretty cool how far it came from a dark variation of German Blues.

Are these fish limited to South Africa?

6. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi Jonathan

I have now replied to your PM also. Apologies for taking so long to do so.

Lots of people have tried developing a solid red Ram. I actually dont think its possible unless, as Hendre said some mutation occurs. Contrary to belief I dont think there is enough red in a Ram to exploit.

Long fin and balloon Rams can be bred from any colour strain. I do not breed either of these, I do not like the long fins, and the balloon body do an injustice to both the fish and the species. Its a deformity which is selected for and should not be bred.

As for Gold. There already is Golden Rams in various forms. Orange gold, yellow gold, blushing, they have been around for ages

I am in the process of acquiring the documenta in order to export the Dark knights to the USA. So hopefully not too long now.

Regards

Marco

7. Jonathan O'Duffy

Jonathan O'Duffy

Thanks Macro for the PM.

With regards the Ram variations. I was thinking more along the lines of Rams in those various forms crossed with the Dark Knight Rams. From the pictures I seen that the Dark Knights have orange on the edges of the fins, and the Blue Knights have blue. So I was curious if other colour variations could be made to the fins if crossed with other Ram variations. I think it should be possible.

8. Lee

Lee

I one have and will be getting another at the of the month there so beautiful

Marco likes this.
  9. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi Jonathan

I have made every conceivable cross to Dark knight and am in the process of devwloping the ones I find worthwhile.
    Of course others can do it differently and that will bring some nice variety over time.

Unfortunately the Dark gene is limiting so not everything works
    But time will tell

Rgds

Marco

10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Marco,

How about posting some photos of your latest creations?

11. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @Reedfish

Sure.
    Thanks for asking

I recently stopped keeping Discus. It was a difficult decision, but it now gives me much more time and space to focus on my Rams.
    I have worked on developing my own lines from all the different Ram varieties, and will continue to do so in coming months. I hope to have 3 to 4 unrelated lines of each strain, as this will provide large genetic variability.
    To help with this I am importing a group of Wild Caught Rams in the next few weeks.
    This will enable wild genes to be bred to all my lines, as well as offering the oppurtunity to hopefully establish a few Wild lines with which I can work.

I now have 3 lines of Dark knight. It would be false to say they are totally unrelated, but they are at least diluted in their genetic connectivity.
    I am in the process of selecting pairs from these lines now. I attach a photo of the first pair. You may notice that they are even more evenly black than before, and the black pigmentation is bleeding nicely into the fins

Then I have the Blue Knights breeding. Finally! I dont quite know why it has been such a challenge, but developing them was easier than finally breeding them. I now have 2 batches of fry from 2 different lines.
    I am not happy with the Blue Knights yet and will probably focus a great deal on refining them in coming years. I do believe they have scope for further development.

Thats about it for now.

Rgds

Marco[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Amazing @Marco i recently aquired one of your black knights. Any tips on keeping them in top health?

Marco likes this.
  13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Marco,

No more Discus! Wow!
    I guess you have to do what makes you happy! :)

Your Rams do look fantastic though.
    Very nice. :thumbup:
    And thanks for insight into your plans going forward.

14. top dog

top dog

wow
    love your work, commitment and passion.

15. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi Amakawa

Rams need good clean water. That is the most important aspect. As long as you make sure the filtration is adequate, they should be fine

Rgds

Marco

16. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

@Reedfish

Lol well I wont say Discus do not make me happy, but yes, at the moment this is what brings me more pleasure. Its been fun and it still holds promise which keeps it interesting.

@top dog - thank you for the comments

Best regards

Marco

Reedfish likes this.
  17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Marco...

Hard to think of you and.. no discus..... but life takes its turns and you are right
    Sometimes your passion takes you elsewhere and to concentrate on something of the magnitude that you doing it takes time and dedication and you have to sometimes sacrific

Thanks for sharing with us

The Rams look absolutely amazing..well done and all the best going forward

Marco and Reedfish like this.
  18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Very true.
    My hobby has gone in the direction of dead fish - millions of years old!

19. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @MariaS,

Thank you very much.
    Yes, unfortunately it sometimes happens that we have to put reason ahead of feelings.
    It is not so easy to breed discus whilst having to run your own business. It takes time and a great deal of work, and they are affected in so many ways by things which, in SA, are out of our control.
    This is further limited by various other "environmental" variables, and all these factors made me realise that its very difficult to develop into a truly great Discus breeder

I was most definitly not near achieving that, and I doubt I could, but if I focus on Rams and spend the available time I have on them, well - lets say I'd like to think I could be a great Ram Breeder. And that is, for some reason quite important to me. I dont think I need to unpack or rationalise why, it just is

But, I will always look fondly on nice Discus, and roll my eyes and scream inwards at the state the Discus hobby finds itself in. I just do not have a dog left in the fight.

Best regards

Marco

20. OP
    Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Lol yes... And you dont even need to feed it

21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I know exactly how you feel and the reasoning
    As you know, Cesar also started with the Discus and the Rays.. as much as we loved the Discus, we alo got to a cross roads ..
    If you really want to go into serious breeding.. developing strains and certain traits... it takes a lot of time and hard work and to us.. you either do it giving it 100% or you must rather let go so.... we gave up on continuing the Discus project and concentrating on the Rays

As you say... my heart still goes out to a stunning tank of Discus and looking back at photos of the tank we had sometimes i miss them but in my heart i know we made the right decision...

Recent Posts