Tail Standing, dark, not eating

Discussion in 'Problems with Discus' started by 1300wipass, Nov 20, 2013.

1. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

my water usually over 30deg and my discus very well fed so they dont rush to eat any frozen food still at the top. Usually when it heats up in the weater and falls and breaks downs to the bottom do they only eat the froazen foods so I doubt its that but could be a possibiliy

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@1300wipass,

I have heard of fish having problems after eating frozen food.
    I thaw mine and bring to room temp before feeding to my Disucs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

so day 3 on kanaplex and no difference :(. Found a place who stocks metro but will only get a chance tommorrow to get. he doesnt seem to be getting thinner so he must be eating (when im not looking) but havent seen any droppings from him so not too sure. Getting my hospital tank back tomorow aswell so placing him in there and will be able to tell if his pooping or not which will give me a positive or negative if he is indeed eating

how would i manually administer metro if i were to "inject" it directly into his mouth, what dosage and dilution?

thanks
    Waleed

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I wouldn't inject any medication into a fish's mouth.
    Catching it, and attempting this is really going to stress it.

I would keep it in the tank it's in and treat that whole tank.

6. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

yeah you right, ill probably just seperate the tank with egg crate so that he gets enough time to eat if he does eat that is,

7. Dinky

Dinky

Flagyl is a prescription drug and not many vets / pharmacists are willing to assist. If you know your pharmacist, he or she may be willing to assist you with a couple of pills. It's sold as Metronidazole at the Pet stores. I found flagyl more effective than the Metronidazole although it's said to be the same thing.

Hope you fish makes it!

8. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

So flagyl is the liquid form right? how do you administer it?

9. Dinky

Dinky

@1300wipass - the flagyl that I managed to get are unfortunately in pill form. I see in some threads they mention a liquid form but I'm not familiar with that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  10. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

just did abit of research and they say the liquid form contains glucose which can be harmful to gills so i should use the powder form. thanks! will try and source flagyl

11. CAPE SHARK

CAPE SHARK discus fanatic

I get my flagyl from Durbanville Animal Hospital (021-9763031). it comes in tablet form which I dissolve in a cup of tank water before adding to my tank. these tabs are relatively cheap compared to the metro you buy in pet shops........hope this helps.

12. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

thanks Cape Shark.

So some bad news, the discus will probably not make it by the time i get home tonight. He was completely laying on his side with pale white translucent parasites coming out through its gills. this started happening about 4 hours after I adminsistered Metro. So it seems the metro worked, but to the detriment of the fish.

I guess I used it too late and the fish doesnt seem to have the stregnth left to erradicate the parasite which is what is currently happening. I'm thinking the actual process of erradication of parasites (when taking place) must be a stressfull process and the fish needs to be in a relatively "healthy"(strong) position to deal with the errasdication succesfully. It didnt help that he was'nt eating for 3 weeks before me getting the metro

the upside is that I now have a few antibiotics in stock should anything like this happen with my other fish and should i suspect internal infection i will be able to dose relatively early in the infection

this is the first discus I lost in the 3+ years since i started keeping discus and was a learning curve indeed

thanks for all you're help guys

regards
    Waleed

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@1300wipass,

If your fish has gill flukes, Metro will not help.
    You need an some sort of anti-parasite treatment.
    I use Kusuri, not sure if it is available in SA.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

thanks Reedfish, wouldnt that just fall under flubendazole here in SA?

15. jabula 7749

jabula 7749 jabula

Phishman might be able to help with kusuri

16. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

thanks jabula, just wanted to know about your previous head standing thread, did that discus make it after a dose of purbac?

17. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yup, as far as I remember, that is the active ingredient.

18. eros111

eros111

If the fish is still alive - don't give up on him - carry on treating him - I have heard that some Discus can lie on their sides for 3 weeks and still make it !! I would treat ALL the remaining fish If I were you - get them all cleaned out and cleaned up, if he has parasites the rest are bound to be infected also. Maybe the disease experts can help you on this - but for sure I would want to protect ALL my remaining fish.

19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yup, if one fish has parasites, tne chances are all of them will have. I would treat the entire tank.

20. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi,

Sorry I only saw this thread now.
    Parasites did not kill this fish guys. Though the pics are not clear and I cant see the fish properly I would guess at bacterial septicaemia. The tail standing symptoms you described is typical of septicaemia caused by most likely an internal blockage. The food then starts rotting in the intestine and the time period in which this fish went backwards further convinces me it was the cause.
    If this was parasitic in nature the symptoms would be vastly different and it would take much much longer for the fish to finally succumb to the attack.
    Did you notice a swelling in the stomach region?

Sorry for your loss. I say loss even though you have not confirmed that it has died but once at this stage there is very little to be done to save it.

Rgds

Marco

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

21. OP
    1300wipass

1300wipass

Hi Marco, no swelling that I have noticed, i will check when i get back home. Fish was barely breathing. i started manually feeding last night as it has been sapped out of all its energy and cannot move, just laying on its side moving its eyes and occoasionally breathing. Doubt it will be alive when i get back home today.there was white slime (possibly parasites) which was translucent coming from its gills. This was after the metro treatment. Have put him in a hosp tank. BUt at the same time treating my main tank with metro

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

Recent Posts