Not Eating, turning black.

Discussion in 'Problems with Discus' started by Ally, May 25, 2015.

1. Quakeszn

Quakeszn

@Marco i was being sincere.Not Patronising.Just to clear it up @Ally hope ur other discus do better.Regarding sexing of discus most people probably guess there are some people that claim they can Sex them 50% acurately.And dnt think becuase two discus pair up and lay eggs they male and female.wait till u have wrigglers.As two of the same sex can pair up.Once u have wrigglers you can then check who lays and who fertalises.But in my opinion there is know way of telling untill they about 2years of age and unstunted as a stunted fish will some times have an od shape.There is a way they say you can tell.Ill draw a picture as to how u can try sex them then perhaps @Marco can tell us if there is any trueth to the theory.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi guys
    @Quakeszn - accepted as such thank you and apologies for assuming you were. @Ally-
    There are indicators to help make an educated guess abt the sex of Discus. I have honestly never really concerned myself with it.

Rgds

Marco

4. OP
    Ally

Ally

Hi guys

just an update, all is well. I did get 3 more discus, made sure they were all the same size. All of them were in quarantine, treated with stressguard and Metro and a good mixed diet. I couldnt keep them in there for to many days for as you know the tank was to small, lots of cleaning and wc.

So in total i have 6 discus, they do have a go at each other during feeding times although i do feed them twice before i go to work (granuals then frozen Discus mix) when i get home i give them granuals again and before lights out they get frozen bloodworm and mysis or Artemia brine shrimp. this is besides the flake and wafers for my other fish. I want to get an auto feeder this weekend so i can feed them during the day to stretch the meals out a bit.

Any comments?
    @Quakeszn @Marco was just trying to figure out what my ratio is between males and female but i guess i can wait and see if they ever breed.

Thanks

5. Quakeszn

Quakeszn

sexing Discus

@Ally i hope you have not introduced these fish yet as recomended quarintine time is 6-8 weeks.Did you buy the discus from same source?And in thier best interest i would move the other fish to another tank and get rid of substrate and plants keep the the large tank bare bottom untill you get things under controll.What size are the new discus i hope they not babies too.Please post some pics of new arivals.I will not give any advice regarding treating sick discus as i do not have too much personal experience.Heed marcos advice and others and educate urself a bit more on keeping discus.And on a lighter matter here are the pics that show how to sex discus.Dnt know how accurate it is though.but note it does not apply to juvies and stunted discus as the shape is off.hope this helps and my appoligies for comming off short

sexing discus.jpg

male discus.png

6. Quakeszn

Quakeszn

How are ur discus doing now.hope things getting better

7. 1300wipass

1300wipass

No offense Quakeszn, but that theory has been debunked...

but maybe those odds are better than waiting for them to spawn i guess

8. OP
    Ally

Ally

Hay all

Sorry for not updating sooner, All my discus are doing well, yes they are in my planted tank as i dont have anything other than the 50l and im not going to tear down almost 2 years worth of work to make it bare bottom.

We are going away for the long weekend so i got an auto feeder setup and running.
    Been working late, will try get some pics done next week.

9. OP
    Ally

Ally

Hi all

Well its been crazy here. So ive had a few ups and downs. For those who saw my other posts in June will know my gouramies were laying loads of eggs and i managed to transfer some of the eggs over 4 weeks of nesting to a grow out tank. Unfortunately only 1 from the first batch survived, im sure she ate most the smaller fry. She is now in my main tank and doing well close to 3cm in length. sad news is i lost the 2 breeding female to bloat.

Now the great news, 2 of my discus paired and end of last week she laid eggs, unfortunately the male ate them immediately. Tonight my wife called me to watch them lay more eggs and he fertilized them. I was only expecting this to happen again in a couple more days.

The eggs are on the leaf of an amazon sward. My issue is what to do next? let nature do its thing and see if any make it or try moving them at some point.
    tomorrow night will be a made rush to get a BBS hatchery going, this will be my first attempt and still trying to find the right mixes of salt, water, etc.
    Some advise from the experts please.
    Will post pics tomorrow night.

Recent Posts