N. multifasciata species tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by JvH, Aug 25, 2016.

1. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Wow @Jack Stone, thanks for that. Observations like that can only come from someone who really has a deep interest in any given species. So far, all your points have been revelations, all confirmed :) Will definitely look into some extra aeration, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. GregM

GregM

@JvH, its a nightmare that stuff.

However i suspect that a combo of the aforementioned kit and more regular wc's will sort the issue. Maybe reducing the amount of time under full lighting will assist.

good luck.

Greg

About the cyano.. I must've siphoned out about a kg of sand already. When will the madness stop? :hmmmm2:[/QUOTE]

4. francoisve

francoisve Killinut

And how are they doing??? :)

5. LunaTic

LunaTic

Just found that another female has a brood :) They must be very happy

6. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Good to hear @LunaTic. Just be aware of the increase in bioload as their numbers increase.
    Thanks for the tips @GregM. Will keep the light duration in mind, for now I want to see what effect the Siporax has over the next month or 2. Then will start looking at aeration and decreasing light hours. A process of elimination, one thing at a time

7. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

8. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

A quick update regarding the battle of the cyano..
    After adding the siporax & a week later adding a sicce nano wavemaker for extra surface disturbance.. Things got even worse.
    Next move was to cut the lighting completely, and I thought it best to shut the sicce down too, seemed to be doing the opposite of helping. This was around 2 weeks ago.
    The lights-off story hasnt actually been unbearable as I thought it would. The tank is right next to my planted tank, which sits about 30cm taller on its stand, so the glow from the aquasky next door has been a refreshing change. Im actually enjoying it a lot, and the fish seem to as well.

A couple of pics to show the changes 1 month later.

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

9. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

10. hencoloots

hencoloots

Awesome fish!

11. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Cheers henco! They are great little fish, full of attitude. Has been fun watching the group dynamic change as the little colony has grown

12. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Decided to get an Eheim Classic 600 (2217, 6.5l capacity, 1000l/hr) for this tank, and my goodness.. After a few hours the cyano was history, and the water is crystal. Fish seem like they're loving the extra flow too

IMG_4530.jpg

RoGe and hviviers75 like this.
  13. hviviers75

hviviers75

Awesome man glad to hear that. Just post a photo with lights on.

The Tranquility Effect

14. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Hell no, I'm enjoying the tank without lights, and the multies seem to prefer it this way. Do the pics seem overly dark (underexposed) to you? Maybe pop into the local optometrist? And FYI, based on my time on the forum, it would go a long way if you'd reconsider the tone of your posts before hitting the post button. Just a friendly tip, if you'd like to see people replying to you and your threads more often :)

15. hviviers75

hviviers75

Glad you happy with it. Enjoy.
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  16. Whatsaname

Whatsaname

What an great thread, thanks everyone, learned a lot here. Awesome little buggers..

17. dorff

dorff

I just took possession of Markus's 100 L 500x500x400 "cube". I am mulling over a Multi tank in my office. But I was wondering whether the 500x500 base is big enough for them. Any ideas on this? I have also never kept them before, so it is a bit of step into the unknown. My idea was to have a very lively tank with lots of smallish fish, and your tank really fits that mental picture I had. BTW, are the shells readily available? I know one can use alternatives, but it would be nice to use the Neothauma shells if I could find them. Any advice appreciated. And congrats on your success with these fish. It is really awesome.

18. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

Hi @dorff - The 50x50cm base should be just large enough for a couple pairs or trios of Multies. You should divide the base using a tall(ish) rock for multiple males to make their home just out of view of one another in separate shell beds. You can get Neothauma shells from Stone Aquatics in packs of 20.

19. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Thanks whatsaname, dorff!
    @dorff, solid advice there from Jack. You'll certainly have a lively tank if you choose multies, practically never a boring moment with these guys. Even the interaction between juveniles is great. The big males, as Jack says, need things to block their line-of-site, as well as their own patch of shell bed for them and their personal harem (and possibly their own offspring? Still watching and trying to work that one out, although I have a sneaking suspicion Jack will have some great info on that too).
    I've got two dominant males at the moment, they've divided the tank up diagonally between them, front left to back right, based on the available rock layout and the sand "berms" they seem to create as perimeter markers. Makes for great flaring and displays along the perimeters of their territories. Even the juvies join in at times, almost seems like a "one team versus the other" scenario :)

I'm sure the time will come when I'll need to thin the colony out owing to too many males and elevated aggression. But for now, things are nice and peaceful. I have though seen the males giving eachother a go in the past, can be very intense

Looking forward to seeing your future setup, especially if you go with the real-deal shells, biotope-style :)
    I was very lucky, worked on an open piece of land in Brits and came across a friggin mass-death scene of these African giant land snails. Collected about 50 in less than an hour. If I start another shellie tank, (I'm looking at you, Occies), Neothauma's will surely be my choice, now that I know Jack has them in stock.
    All the best, and let us know whats happening with your shellie plans

20. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

21. OP
    JvH

JvH aka FishBait

Recent Posts