Metronidazole, Metro appeal

Discussion in 'Problems with Discus' started by Biggles, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Biggles

Biggles

Can anyone in the CT area help me get some? PM me please.

Our usual vet who did the last prescription has moved.

One fish recently passed away and it had gotten thin quickly. It was the weakling in the tank and I take it as a sign of impending doom. I want to precautionary treat the tank. The tank has been a closed system for over a year and all water parameters are rock solid. No change in diet (even the same batches). It has been over a year since the last metro treatment.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

IMO, I wouldn't treat with Metro, just for the sake of it.

If you have a flagellate problem, and have identified it as such, then by all means.
    But fish die for all sorts of reasons, and from many causes.

My 2c.....

4. OP
    Biggles

Biggles

Some of the other fish are down on energy, some are getting thin. I am away from the tank and no-one can tell me if there are anal slime trails (no-one is watching the tank)

When I previously had an issue someone said that an annual treatment is not a bad idea.

5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Would you take anti-biotics just for the sake of it?

Could be other types of internal parasites, worms, flukes etc?

6. dash

dash

Hi mate have to agree with @Reedfish here. We need to establish if and what is going on with the fish before treating.

Seachem makes a brand of metro that some good lfs will keep. A bit expensive though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    Biggles

Biggles

@dash I have a 1000l set up. Getting enough of the seachem stuff will probably drain SA of its stocks. I looked at that before.

OK, taking the advice of the forum i will not medicate BUT does anyone have access to it? Last time it took about 2 weeks to secure and bu that stage I was 5 fish down.

8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Post a photo of your fish.
    Maybe if there is a problem, one of the experts, @Marco or @ pHish_man can try and help.

9. Dinky

Dinky

@Biggles - how about treating them with some Seachem Nourish / Seachem Guarlic Guard first to see if that doesn't help them with a bit of energy and to fatten them up.

With regards to how to get hold of the products, I have found online shopping to be very helpful. One of our Sponsors, Jungle Aquatics has an online shop, they deliver. In the end postage works out cheaper than having to drive up and down to stores looking for products. Here's their link Jungle Aquatics, Petshop Superstore and Retail Outlet

Hth

Ps: Photos of your fish will really help. There are a lot of expertise on this site and they've helped me a bunch!

10. francoisve

francoisve Killinut

@Biggles not sure what you mean with this...? You mix Seachem's Metronidazole and Focus with food, not dose the entire tank. About to give this a try as well with some of my fish that appears to have some parasite.

11. OP
    Biggles

Biggles

Thanks guys. I am over the initial panic. I should change my forum name to the remote fish keeper. My fish are in Cape Town I am in Otjiwarongo Namibia. I have a house sitter looking after the fish, she is quite good with them and a short visit a month ago confirmed they were happy (and the tank had been very well re-scaped) (and a new couple had formed and were spawning). The fish who died looked very thin but she said at the time it was behaving normally.

Anyway I got her to check the poop and it is normal so alarm over. Thanks for the suggestions on where to metro if I need it in future. I am trying to get photos but she has tried with her phone and not much can be seen on them (and that is putting it kindly).

12. OP
    Biggles

Biggles

Thanks guys. I am over the initial panic. I should change my forum name to the remote fish keeper. My fish are in Cape Town I am in Otjiwarongo Namibia. I have a house sitter looking after the fish, she is quite good with them and a short visit a month ago confirmed they were happy (and the tank had been very well re-scaped) (and a new couple had formed and were spawning). The fish who died looked very thin but she said at the time it was behaving normally.

Anyway I got her to check the poop and it is normal so alarm over. Thanks for the suggestions on where to metro if I need it in future. I am trying to get photos but she has tried with her phone and not much can be seen on them (and that is putting it kindly).

Recent Posts