Hi Fin Pangasius, Help please?

Discussion in 'Problems with Discus' started by AmandaMikey, May 15, 2017.

1. AmandaMikey

AmandaMikey

I have a hi-fin pangasius for 8 months now. I bought it at about 2cm and fed it mostly blood worms and smaller fish. (Expect for his fish friend, a tetra). 5 months ago I had to buy a bigger tank to accommodate his size. All had been well.

A month ago I had severe electricity problems resulting the pump and heater to be off several hours during the day. I then also moved.
    I've noticed that the hi fin (now about 15cm) and was looking pale and didn't want to eat. I assumed it's from loss of oxygen and stress. Added water conditioner, anti stress drops and oxygen tablets.
    Within a day the hi fin and tetra was looking back to normal and was eating again.

2 weeks later (yesterday) I noticed that the hi fin was changing color again, it looks like white patches, almost like he's peeling, while swimming up and down in front of the pump. I thought he's lacking oxygen, so added more oxygen tablets and more anti- stress drops.
    He's not looking any better.

Please advise?

2. Guest

3. Jaco83

Jaco83

I know it might be hard to get one, but a picture will help a lot!

4. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Amanda you know at some point your hi fin will eat the tetra as they grow extremely big, can't remember exactly how big

5. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

What size is your tank at the moment. Pangadians grow to about 1.5 m. Prepare yourself for this please. And no he will not stay small in a small tank. Photo from the web.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rainstorm, DoubleDutch and Ladysphinx like this.
  6. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Every time I walk into a lfs and see these for sale I feel upset and sad at the same time because people who buy them don't know. I always check the size of a fish I want to buy. And what really angers me is 2hen you ask them what size a fish grows to petshop workers will actually tell me it depends on the tank. That's the moment I tell them off

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Hi, and welcome to the Forum

Sounds like he is suffering from adverse water conditions
    Read up on cycling a tank. Plenty of good info on the Forum

As has been said above, Pangs grow huge and are not really suitable for home aquaria

8. OP
    AmandaMikey

AmandaMikey

Thank you I will read up on cycling the tank

Screenshot_2017-05-15-17-17-06[1].png

Screenshot_2017-05-15-18-51-36[1].png

Screenshot_2017-05-15-18-52-05[1].png

9. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum

I agree with @Reedfish that there is something wrong with the water parameters possibly from the tank not being cycled after the move

You dont really explain what your tank maintenance schedule is
    A little more info on your setup as well will also help

Long term... and i know this is not what you probably wanted to hear but... the advice given by others regarding the size etc of a pangasius is true and you should think about it very carefully...
    They grow very large.. and as they get older eat every thing that fits in their mouth and if it doesnt, they usually bully or terrorize their tank mates
    You end up with a huge tank (if you keep upgrading as you will need to) but not be able to have many fish in the tank with him
    I once watched in horror two pangassius, about 25cm.. attack and tear a 25cm oscar apart which had to be rescued and i landed up bringing home.

So... dont be upset.. just think carefully about the future

10. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Agreed, additional info would be helpful here.

From what I can make out in those pictures, though, is that they may be abrasion marks on your fish. Pangasius - and in fact, many larger and active fish in aquaria - frequently bump and bash into the tank walls and decorations. This often results in superficial injuries.

Combine this with the possibility that the water parameters may be out of check, those injuries may not be healing well. At worst, what you may be seeing are the beginnings of an infection of sorts. Be careful with the water parameters with Pangasius as not only are they messy eaters (given the types of food required to keep them happy), but they output a lot of waste as well; quite likely enough to outmatch your filtration system.

Pay attention to your Pangasius. See if it's very active and bumping (even a little) into stuff. See if anything frightens it (lights turning on, you approaching the tank, sudden movements, etc.). These are indications that you may need to either remove items from the tank, or provide it with more space, with the latter ultimately always the case for an animal easily exceeding a meter in aquarium conditions.

Kind regards

Recent Posts