Are my discus stunted?

Discussion in 'Problems with Discus' started by Hee hee, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hee hee

Hee hee

Hello

I started a thread earlier today about buying some small discus, and some questions arose about the discus I currently have.

Two of them have eyes that seem too big for their bodies, the rest seem fine to me. I'm new at fishkeeping, though I did a little research before starting.

I have two sponge filters in there (like the one in the first picture - I used to have two power sponge filters, but I don't think they liked the current).

Taking the pictures was a bit harder than I anticipated - the discus got somewhat spooked by the camera.

The second picture is of one of the two that look like their eyes are too large.
    You can't really see it in the picture, but the others have outgrown him.

What do you think?

IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Guest

3. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Start feeding them with a good quality food. Feed them so that you have to clean their feces daily. Start with once in the morning and 3-4 times in the evenings. What are you feeding now and how old are they?

4. Discusnut

Discusnut

Pic one not that bad. Others are stunted. As stated before lots of good food and water changes will give the one some hope. Others won't grow much. But they look healthy

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

5. OP
    Hee hee

Hee hee

When I fed them beefheart mix (twice a day), I changed about half the tank's water daily, after both feedings were done. They were in a 450 liter tank.

The beefheart was just too messy.

I switched to some "premium" discus pellets. Apparently this contains everything they need. After the switch I changed half the 450 liter tank's water every second day.

A few days ago, I moved them to a 250 liter tank. Since then I've only been changing about a quarter of the water daily (when I siphon out the poop).

I feel like I've been changing more than enough water. Should I have changed more?

Maybe I should have fed them the beefheart mix more than just twice a day. Could this have stunted them?

They have definitely grown a lot since I got them (I think it was about 3 months ago). I have no idea how old they are.

All the water they get is from a stream of mountain spring water with a pH of 8.3.

What have I been doing wrong?

This is sad news for me.

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

If you got the fish as they were, then you have done nothing wrong. The stunted one arrived with you as such.
    But don't be hard on yourself. I also started with 5cm Stenkers and had about a 80% success rate.

Beef heart is messy, and feeding it is controversial, but one can't argue that feeding it results in fast growth.
    And yes, in order to maintain water quality, big water changes are needed

A ph of 8.3 is a bit on the high side
    Where in SA are you?

BoelderBeestie likes this.
  7. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Try and get benkers royal. It's not as messy as beef heart. Pellets won't grow them like a good frozen food will. Your water management sounds good too. I dump about 30-40% each day while siphoning on my 250L and more over weekends.

8. rsa

rsa

As much as I am amazed by the beauty of discus the water changes are hectic.... respect to all discus keepers !

zaid.moosajee likes this.
  9. Discusnut

Discusnut

Only hectic if growing them out. If u have a good trickle filter with adult discus its really easy.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I didn't do those hectic water changes when I had Discus.
    Had some Corries in the tank, so there wasn't any food waste lying around.
    And I monitored the Nitrates for a few weeks and found that I didn't to change huge amounts of water to keep them at a reasonable level

11. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

The little corries do an amazing job at clearing left overs, I also find a pair of geos sift through everything and pick up any food left over, obviously they are bigger than the corries so tank size needs to be taken into account

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yup, I have a Geo in my tank at the moment and it is constantly picking through the gravel.
    Don't think it would be happy with Discus temps though.

13. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

If you are not cleaning daily you're not feeding enough with juveniles. It's not the nitrates that gets them although it does slow down their growth. They will fall sick a few months down the line if clean water isn't added regularly. You do it to keep the bacteria count low.

14. rsa

rsa

15. rsa

rsa

Wow, didn't know this !!! How often do you wc with adult discus.

16. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

That depends on your water volume, stock levels, what you feed and all that. There's no magic % of water to change. I clean daily, removing feces and leftovers. The water that comes out with that is around 20-30% on a 250L tank daily. This is for 6 adults.

Think about it this way, rather than about water changes think about keeping it clean, the water will get changed regardless.

17. eros111

eros111

Where do you live ?

18. OP
    Hee hee

Hee hee

Paarl, Western Cape

19. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Not too far from me.

20. eros111

eros111

Oh wait sorry - stupid question I asked - you are using spring water not municipal water. have you had that water tested?. Is it really that pure - it could contain harmful chemicals or pesticides that you might not be aware of. Check for Nitrates, and check the TDS in that water.
    There really are no secrets to raising young Discus - but there are a few rules which have been proven over the years to work well !
    Feeding frozen food is without doubt the best you can do for them ( beefheart/fish mixes). Baby discus need feeding every 3 - 4 hours - up until they are adults. Keeping the temp of your water at between 28 and 30 deg is necessary. LARGE water changes are part of those rules and must not be avoided - 50% a day is the very least you must try and do if at all possible ( also because of the heavy bio-load caused by the feeding schedule).
    pH is not a major issue with young fish, but as said above 8,3 is on the high side - if you can bring it down it would be better. They do prefer soft acidic water.
    Unfortunately, if your fish have not been raised correctly they will be stunted and will remain so for the rest of their lives. The large eyes in relation to their body size, are an indication of being stunted. All this means is that you might never have large 14 -16cm fish but they will remain smaller and still beautiful.
    I see in so many pet shops, thin emasciated baby Discus that are not fed correctly - sometimes one fish per tank - those fish are sold to the customer and when the fish don't grow out correctly people say Discus are problem fish.
    Discus are not difficult like everyone makes them out to be - BUT they are demanding little buggers.

21. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I read the whole thread again and the only thing that stands out is feeding. Don't worry about them being stunted and focus on fattening them up. They are still under a year old as you would have seen them forming pairs if they where older and will still grow out some more if you correct their food. Your PH is fine for juveniles as they prefer harder water. My tap is in the low 8's too, if there was anything chemical or pesticide wise in your water you would have known by now. Temp 29c. So for now get them back on your frozen mix with the pellets and feed hard. Your water changes will go up by themselves because of the feeding. Take a pic of them today and in a month again and compare, you will see a very noticeable difference.

How much to feed? Feed them till their bellies are round, wait a hour or two till it's flat and feed again. So feed before work and continue when you get home until you go to bed. Start saving for a breeding cube so long, the fun will begin in a few months.

Recent Posts