Amano Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Christiaan Duvenage, Apr 28, 2018.

1. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

Yes Ferdi..If you want to reproduce Amanos on demand you will have to have a SW setup....Sorry but unfortunately there's no other way around it.Unless someone like me who has discovered the key to open the lock can supply on a continuous basis.Im not in it for the monopoly so I will spill the beans...

Breeding Amanos isn't all that hard..It's like having a lock and finding the right key.. mmmm
    From my experience there is just a view steps...

1; Keep Amanos in FW like any shrimp....
    They will,copulatate and carry the eggs as usual.Relase of Zoes takes place when the time is right in FW.
    When you see zoes in you're tank(there will be a lot),flash a strong light for them to come to the surface,they are attracted to light ..catch them with a small holed net(i had to custom one using sidecurtains).Put them in a pre prepared marine setup of 35 ppt full marine salinity setup..(Catch them and throw them into the SW setup immediately ,it makes no difference as long as the temperature is the same,it's not necessary to acclimatese them,main concern here is temperature,and this is the most important thing right through the whole process. It's beneficial if you have had this setup run for a month or so before hand so that algea can build up.Wich brings me to the setup...I used a 50l tank,50w heater,1 airstone,bubble filter filled with ceramics (pls take note this was my 1st attempt at it and I have discovered that a filter isn't necessary).Which brings me to this conclusion and in short the winning recipe is....

Any sized tank with relevant heater...
    Any light on for more than 12hrs to promote algea growth.Ive read about 24/7 lights on but I didn't find it necessary as long as algea flourishes.My lights are on from 6am to 8pm which is more than enough for algea growth.
    Cover you're tank with something(in my case a glass top to eliminate evaporation,it makes life easier not to worry about constant salinity checks and waterchanges).In my 2cnd attempt using a glass top it wasn't necessary to do any waterchanges).I used aquavitro remediation with my 1st attempt to introduce bacteria to the ceramics.I guess it plays a big role later on as with my 2cnd attempt my setup was matured and a 35ppt salinity was maintained without any effort due to my tank being covered with a glass top.With my 1st attempt I added seachem reef phytoplankton for nutrition/feeding,i followed instructions as directed on back of bottle.

Now I'm rambling on which I feel is unnecessary...
    Let me give you guys that's advanced enough a short summary..

1:Any sized tank,according heater.
    RO Water +(I used red sea coral pro salt) 35ppt
    1 or 2 airstones(When zoes are "new born" set airstone/s to minimum/slow airflow to give zoes a chance to strengthen,as time/days move along increase airflow.As I stated I added aquavitro remediation to introduce bacteria,I would recommend it,it's beneficial.Add seachem phytoplankton as directed on bottle for the 1st week or 2 (Zoes need food,So if you don't have algea growth this will essential for them).Sooner or later you will start getting a pea soup(water starts becoming green'ish),Don't stress this is a great sign,it means you don't have to feed again,so sit back and wait for you're zoes to morph.This means they will sit on the sides of the tank and look like very small shrimp,some of mine started at day 31.Something I learned very quickly is that although they look and act like shrimp if they not see through,they are not ready for the FW(From day 28 or so they become red in colour,and act like shrimp when they morph,but if you introduce them to FW when they reddish they die immediately.I made the mistake of killing a few to try introducing them to FW before i learned they have to be see through/transparent and very active,I.o.w going crazy so to speak.At this stage not all my zoes have morphed,so im waiting for them.I have successfully caught 2 zoes and introduced them to FW by just catching them and throwing them into FW.After a few days they still alive which in my books is a success.The key is temperature and salinity stability and patience.When you introduce them back to FW its instant,no need for acclamation,the important thing here is temperature and that they are truly ready for transferring.

ancistrus, alpesh, MariaS and 5 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Nice summery, so one needs a two compartment tank - or tank in a tank, that way you can keep both that same temp 1x heater , same light cycle, and even that same airpump with a split feed? 3X6wmYLizfR9K5RSqblYd1EloaRSMDIWSR3-HuQG0ZHtCjrZsJxXgng6vz7OSFq5PmLiZ4xsEio9qRPhvsC=w390-h220-no.jpg
    9ovPcWD7R0hGzHkKpXT9L9Gls52gHdyvNkXfgnirrMqIBFD0ld5xgcOy8SKxQBMPyqyK_qxUV421bJmZxA=w1680-h947-no.jpg

suspect the above kitchen scoop will work for catching the smallest of the guys.

Now a healthy 35ppt for somebody who has never done sw ... that is the challenge.

Later Ferdie

4. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

It's been a few days and things are going great with the shrimplets.I managed to get 4 out so far.Yeah I know it's not a record breaking number of Amanos but it's hard to spot these transparent little shrimps.You have to sit in front of you're tank for a long time till 1 comes in range.Most of them also still haven't morphed yet.

Here's some pics of the shrimps in fresh water.Currently feeding them small pieces of Hikari mini algae wafers.I had to zoom in a lot,they approximately 7mm in size....
    20180723_191122.jpg 20180723_191001.jpg 20180723_190924.jpg

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Pretty awesome huh. Plenty of algae growth shouldn't hurt either :D

6. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Lots of patience required. And good glasses/eyesight

7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

8. Jaco83

Jaco83

Well done bud. :thumbup:

9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Wonder if they light up different under black light or uv light ...

10. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

Hi all just a quick update.So I managed to get around 40 successfully to freshwater.They all doing great and growing.Theres still a few that hasn't morphed yet but I imagine they won't make a hudge difference to the overall total.I'll probably get another 3 or 4 out.Ill post some pics as they mature.At the end of the day it was worth it for me.I might go on to breed at a bigger scale,let's see what happens.

darkmold, MariaS and nate like this.
  11. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

They around 8-10mm now.20180816_160657.jpg
    The red colour is from the tetra prima I fed.
    20180816_161142.jpg

12. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Awesome @Christiaan Duvenage !!

That was quite an achievement and 40 is not a bad number at all for starters

Its been a very interesting thread to follow

Well done

Christiaan Duvenage likes this.
  13. nate

nate

They look really stunning man. Can't wait to see your bigger trial with these guys.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

14. darkmold

darkmold

May have some more adults for you if you decide to breed them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

15. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

Tnx @darkmold i appreciate it,but I have enough for now.

16. hviviers75

hviviers75

Hello Christiaan awesome thread and well done on the amanos, lots of moolas made their. Enjoy and keep us posted....

17. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Impressive achievement. Well done

18. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Well done. Worth all the efford in the end.

19. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

20. Pezulu

Pezulu

... so when can we expect to see them available for sale? :D
    I won't mind a few.

21. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage

Tnx everyone for the wonderful comments.:thumbup:
    I think I'm going to keep these as a breeding core to breed on a bigger scale.Hopefully I'll have plenty to sell early next year.

Aqu4R7U8 likes this.

Recent Posts