Advise needed on moving a big tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by Ortaega, Sep 6, 2020.

1. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Thanks!

The tank already cycling. Waiting for the dust to settle did not rinse the sand good enough as what I thought. Started tank as always with Seachem prime & Safe. LFS was happy to see me helped me out with some of his old media to cycle my tank faster well.

Got fish what I wanted at not too bad of a price, all in quarantine.

Got
    7x Burundi Frontosas
    3x Cuckoo catfish
    10x Mbuna was added as part of the cycling as cost me the same to get 10 Mbuna as what it would've cost to get 10 Danio's {Gonna to leave them in as a test to see how it goes}
    4x Brichardi {Gonna to leave them in as a test to see how it goes}
    1x Pleco {Gonna to leave him in as a test to see how it goes}

Scary how small they will look in this tank still, but when they grow up all should be in place. Had to behave as when I went to the 3 different store I visited all I could see is All the fish I've ever wanted to keep and for that I would 2 -3 more of these aquariums :tt2:.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

We want photos :)

Once those Frontosa grow out they will look good in the tank
    And once they start breeding the numbers will increase nicely too.

4. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Still have a lot more cleaning on the way as well after all the dust settled.

Damn, how do you feed such small fish in such a big aquarium, same as normal?

Replaced one of the older pumps sofar which barely ran at 800l/ph in my opinion got 2x 2100 l/ph pumps than can be adjusted. Will be running them at full at first and then drop it down a bit until the fish get a bit bigger or will play around with this and see how it goes.

only bought pfs for now looks more than fine and any other substrate would've added to the cost too much for me and reused all the rocks and wood I got with the tank for now. When the dust settles I will update on some more pics.

T. Guppy likes this.
  5. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

hahaha as soon as the dust settles. Need to sort out my lighting as well. Thinking of getting a 1.5meter proper marine light/zetlight type and to place it in the middle think this should give more than enough light? Else might build my own lights, still deciding on this.

Prices on Frontosas are damn expensive. The place I bought them from had then on markup for R395 each got them to sell them for at least R200, makes quite a difference when buying 7 of them at once.

Now i need to behave, on more stocking! damn difficult at the moment, but the wait will be worth it.

Forgot to add, also added 2 golden apple snails to the mix as well.

6. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

This is awesome! Thos fish will look great in there once grown up I'm sure :thumbup:

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I am giving my fish at the moment what I call "The Discus Treatment".
    Feed twice a day as standard, but if I am at home all day, they get fed up to 4 times in the day. I want them to grow on quickly. But of course one then needs to increase the water changes too
    Make sure the food is evenly distributed so fish at both ends get something. I think this is is especially important when they are still small and shy.

Frontosa are quite costly.
    But soon your colony will be breeding and the numbers will increase.
    I had the same issue with the Cyps I got.

Yes, I know !
    It is so tempting to add another pair or two.
    And especially since the lfs I go to gets such fantastic Tangs.

8. top dog

top dog

congrats man

9. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

I really do hope so, always been my dream to keep Frontosas.

Thanks will do this early in the morning and afternoon and maybe ask my wife to do a feed session as well during the day.

I know Frontosas don't grow as quickly as Oscars, but their growth rate should be quate fare in this tank.

Would not mind if that is the case, don't care much for breeding them at this stage, but would not mind if that is the case. Not yet sure how my female to male ratio is in the tank.

I saw some amazing fish over the weekend of all types. The red Frontosas was also tempting but, love the blue ones way more. Even saw beautiful jaguars over the weekend which was also tempting and one of my other favorites is convicts, will do a full tank of just these fish love them. Then there are also these beautiful black diamond rays I saw as well as angels and Discus, the list is almost endless, felt like a little lost kid again this weekend just wanting it all!

Gonna now sit back, relax and see how this mix goes.

thanks, glad this move is over

10. top dog

top dog

I have always wanted to do single big cichlids with a colony of convicts with tones of hiding spots
    ie big jag with 10-12 pairs of cons would work great great in the tank.
    fronts would be first prize start with 30 keep removing the biggest and try end up with 3-5 females per male and have a huge colony breeding.

think tank is bit small for rays long term and with only a build in filter the water changes needed will drive you crazy

Whoknows and Ortaega like this.
  11. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Damn, my mind already now racing on this Jag & Convict idea!

Thanks, will keep an eye on the Frontosa and see how they grow, wish I could get more but the price on them is quite hefty after all I had taken out in the last 3-4 days. In the end, it was still worth it. Now just want to keep an eye on the water and cycling and the fish health and make sure they all eat for now. I think my scape looks okay for now. I do not know so much about them as what I know about keeping Mbuna.

I'm just hoping the mix I got is more towards females with 1 or 2 males and not 1 or 2 females and the rest males. I only saw the best way to know the difference is growth in males is faster than females. Haven't really seen much to determine the difference in sex in others was yet. I was hoping that Jack Stone was still around as then I would've saved up for a month or two and bought them in that way.

My wife wanted me to convert this into a marine aquarium but after she found out the costs involved doing this it became a write off for now. Also, she found out how much stingrays cost, and then she also did not really know at that stage the cost and work involved in keeping these.

I have settled in maybe doing a small marine set up for when I have some money available again maybe a 120 Litre Boyu set up and see how that goes.

In the long run, if the Fronts can breed I can maybe sell a few of the fry off to better sustain the hobby for me in the long run and to properly sort out my own colony.

Think the mix I have should work for now. Must just not get more stuff now.

12. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

a proper led light at 150cm in the middle of the tank should do the trick for adequately lighting?

I've got a little cheap 60CM led loose light in the middle and it lights up +/- 70% of my aquarium and I doubt I will be going high tech planted route in this aquarium.

13. mxz

mxz

A few LED floodlights will also work

Ortaega likes this.
  14. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

O yeah, forgot about those as well. I've got 2 nice ones that I will give a try, maybe need about 2 more at most and will not cost even close to that of what the zetlight or marine led light would've cost me.

Whoknows likes this.
  15. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Congrats. You work fast :thumbup::thumbup:

I can't wait to see the photos of it. :)

16. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

yeah, all happened faster than expected. My plan also was to only get this tank in about 2-3 years time :tt2:

Whoknows likes this.
  17. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

No turning back now :lol::lol:

Ortaega likes this.
  18. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Some pics I could do so far. The tank was still cloudy last night, quite a lot better this morning. Need to wipe all the glass again and move some of the gravel in between and behind the rocks, now that I can see a bit again. Lighting also still needs to be redone as not so good yet, tank had 1x 90cm bio light 1x 90cm moonlight & 1x 120 cm moonlight in it. Just loose fluorescence with the Daro lighting kits. Want to see if I cannot do a DIY light upgrade over the weekend and need to replace 2 of the cabinet hinges, still waiting to go pick up my sliders as well and one more duckbill flow nozzle.

IMG_20200914_175146.jpg IMG_20200914_214548.jpg IMG_20200914_214817.jpg IMG_20200914_214823.jpg IMG_20200914_214832.jpg IMG_20200914_214848.jpg IMG_20200914_214905.jpg IMG_20200914_215218.jpg IMG_20200914_215223.jpg IMG_20200914_215240.jpg IMG_20200914_215247.jpg IMG_20200914_215254.jpg IMG_20200915_055214.jpg

This morning one was a bit more clear, but the light is quite a low level and I think the thickness of the glass that is still a bit dusty makes it a bit more difficult to take nice pics. I Will see if can take some nicer pics tonight else over the weekend after I'm done with the lighting.

Shabir, Reedfish, Whoknows and 2 others like this.
  19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Ortaega

Looks good.
    And those frontosa look really nice. Am sure they will develop into fantastic adults

Whoknows and Ortaega like this.
  20. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Thanks,:thumbup: Looking forward to seeing them grow! Gonna continue with my safe treatment and feeding them as suggested and then do another 25% water change over the weekend.

Just glad sofar all of them seem fine. Trying to keep tank for now simple as possible with some cover for them in the rocks for now and to have big enough open space to swim when they are much bigger.:)

Reedfish likes this.
  21. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Seems like 2 or 3 out of the 7 is the reddish colored Frontosas instead of the blue ones I've asked for, but o well to late now. Will still look good but a little bit upset.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts