Zetlight ZP4000 Series

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by TetraJacques, Aug 18, 2019.

1. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Hi TASA,

Some help here. Has anyone got some feedback on using the zedlight ZP4000 series LED lights?

Are these made specifically for planted aquariums? I don't want to order this light and see my plants struggle because of insufficient lighting.

My tank dimensions are 91cm x 45cm high about.

Thanks in advance

Chandz likes this.
  2. Guest

3. fux940510

fux940510

If they are what i think they are, being these: https://www.aquaempire.co.za/product-page/zetlight-zp-4000-p
    (Zetlight naming scheme is a bit weird)
    then i've had great success with them. Your aquarium height may be a bit of an issue depending on what plants you are looking for, but i managed to grow a nice low-tech carpet of glosso in my 30cm high aquarium with those series of lights. Everything i've had underneath them has done really well. There is the option of balancing the red and white leds, in case you want to change colour or help red plants really pop. They're the best option i found that had built in dimming and didn't cost a kidney. My only gripe is that it doesn't have the option of a sunrise/sunset setting to stop fish from freaking out, but at the price i can't really expect it.

4. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thank you, I see these lights aren't that expensive. I should maybe just go for it and see how it goes. I forgot half the name of my current plants and ordered new plants which will arrive on Tuesday but can't remember the names either. Some are amazon swords, water wisteria I think, ludwigia rubin some vallies,java fern and a bunch of others

5. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Most of the plants you mention are low tech plants, that don't need very bright lighting.
    The light you are looking at should be quite sufficient for your tank.
    I use the Zetlight Lancia ZP4000 series on all my tanks, and have no issues with plant growth.

6. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thanks,

So the plants you have identified on my other post https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/plants-id-needed-please.33064/ and the ones I ordered on Friday
    Staurogyne repens https://mcmerwe.co.za/shop/staurogyne-repens-2/, Rotala Nanjenshan https://mcmerwe.co.za/shop/ada-rotala-nanjenshan/, Ludwigia sp. Rubin https://mcmerwe.co.za/shop/ludwigia-sp-rubin/,
    Hydrocotyle Tripartita https://mcmerwe.co.za/shop/hydrocotyle-tripartita/ wont suffer ?

7. Pezulu

Most of the plants will do well with the light.
    Stem plants tend to have higher light needs to grow to their full potential.
    Rotala, Ludwigia, Hydrocotyle and even Staurogyne have higher light requirements.

The older Zetlight Lancia series supply enough light for all low light and medium light plants.
    I have no experience with the newer ZP4000-P series.

Here are the specifications for the older Zetlight Lancia ZP4000 lights:
    zetlight_ZP4000_lancia_led_detail4.jpg

8. Pezulu

I have had a look at the Lancia 2 lights, and am impressed.
    If they are the same as the light you are using, they should work well.
    Comparing them to the older Lancia series, they seem the be a bit brighter.
    One feature I really like about them is the brushed aluminium finish, which is much better than the older series that was grooved aluminium.
    Trying to keep the older lights clean is a hassle, as the grooves trap fish food, dust and other gunk, and the grooves are too narrow to allow cotton buds in easily.

20190428160019459b17.jpg

9. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thanks for the info, I am looking at buying the the P series. Maybe I should wait until the Lancia 2 in available

10. Pezulu

Strangely, the Zetlight website doesn't show the P series.
    The Lancia series is quite expensive, being at least double in price to the P-series.
    I wonder if the P-series is not manufactured under licence, or even a rebranded light from another manufacturer that is distributed locally.
    The local importer is also the distributor for Sobo and other cheap Chinese aquatic products.

I use Lancia lights on all my tanks, apart from a single Z1200P over a 45L tank.
    All the lights are connected to a WiFi network that I control off my phone, and are programmable and customisable.
    Apparently the P-series can't be connected or controlled via WiFi, as it is a budget lighting system.

TetraJacques likes this.
  11. fux940510

fux940510

I've found very little online about the P-series lights, mostly local stuff. One of the other logos/brands on the boxes is Marine Space, which i've only found on SA sites.

In terms of the plants mentioned here:
    I can confirm that the P-series will work well with hydrocotyle as well as s repens. I haven't tried the rotala and ludwigia variants mentioned, so can't comment on those. Swords, java fern, vallis, various mosses etc grow pretty well under them.

12. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Do you guys think I should go for this light or wait for the Lancia 2 ?

13. Pezulu

I always run under the assumption that bigger is better, or in this case more expensive is best.
    The Lancia has features that the P-series don't.

If you are going to be setting up a single tank, the P-series should work well enough for you.
    When you run a few tanks, and want to customise the lighting on the tanks, the Lancia becomes more of a necessity.

The Lancia 2 series has the WiFi controller and receiver built into the light, where the original Lancia had to be connected to a separate receiver and controller.
    Once setup of each light is complete, the system is almost completely automated, and can be changed easily.

On my system, I have the following customisations:
    06:30 - lights come on, at 25%.
    08:30 - lights change to 50%.
    10:00 - lights go to 85%
    17:00 - lights dim to 50%
    18:30 - lights change to Lunar mode, which follow the calendar lunar phases.
    20:00 - lights switch off.
    (This is for the white LEDs only. The Red, Blue and Green I leave mostly to the default for that light period.)

I don't know whether the Lancia series is available locally, as the lights are quite expensive.
    Where a ZP400-590 cost in the region of R1500, the ZP4000-60P cost about R800.

14. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That's very interesting, let me wait for the Lancia 2.
    Thanks for the info

15. Whoknows

Whoknows

Lancia 2 can be purchased from jungle Aquatics so I'm sure other shops can get them too
    I think the 1st generation was probably discontinued in favour of Lancia 2, they still sell the Wi-Fi module though

16. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I usually support McMerwe Farms ( https://mcmerwe.co.za/ ) in Bloemfontein and I'm loyal to who I support. The owners customer support is amazing !! It also works quite easy for me.
    I don't mind waiting a bit for the right thing.
    Thanks for the info though.

Whoknows likes this.
  17. fux940510

fux940510

AquaEmpire has them too. The 895p is the right size, and will be R2099. Shipping will be R150. JungleAquatics has that model for R2116 with free delivery.

TetraJacques likes this.
  18. Whoknows

Whoknows

Heard lots of good things about them but am yet to try shopping there;)

19. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I would highly recommend them, great customer service and good quality product !!!
    I'm 700km+ away from Bloemfontein and I get my stuff delivered the next day !!

Whoknows likes this.
  20. Whoknows

Whoknows

Awesome have you ordered livestock from them too? Or only dry goods?

21. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Only dry stock but I have read the reviews on people getting their live stock by means of courier and it's all good.
    Take a look at the website and contact the owner. He is very pleasant and helpful. You are in JHB so ordering and receiving from him shouldn't be an issue.

Recent Posts