Why my 3 spot gourami died?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by KatjaMontaldos, Jun 14, 2018.

1. KatjaMontaldos

KatjaMontaldos

Hi. I fed and checked on my fish before lights off and all the fish were fine, 2 hours later and I heard a thump so went to check on the fish and my 3 spot gourami was swimming around bumping into the glass and freaking out. I immediately did a 35% water change (even though tomorrow is water change day) and waited for my quaritine tanks temp to increase (I keep it at a low temp when not in use) and left it for a bit. I came back to move him over and found him dead. He’s been perfectly before all this started happening. He is the largest gourami in the tank as the rest are dwarfs and young pearls and I’ve never had any issues with gouramis picking on each other as they’re always peaceful. Does anyone know what the cause could be? I do water changes once a week and all tests are normally normal (no ph fluctuations or anything of the sorts). I’m going to test the water again tomorrow since the tests are in the house and I’m in the cottage. I just want to find out what’s wrong Incase my other fish start acting the same and if it’s something concerning I can treat the entire tank Incase others may get the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance Katja.

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Not sure if you have sliders or a hood ... maybe it tried to jump and landed with some heads trauma?

Does sound a bit odd.

Later Ferdie

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Sounds like it go some sort of fright, panicked and crashed into something. And as @f-fish says, got some sort of head trauma.

5. OP
    KatjaMontaldos

KatjaMontaldos

Would the head trauma cause him to then constantly dart around? Thank you so much for you assistance. I’m going to be keeping extra care on the others just Incase.

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Could be.
    Or it was extremely stressed.

If you find this happens again, it may be worth considering putting a small night light in the room

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Sorry forr your loss @KatjaMontaldos

I agree with what has been said as, I have seen this happen before

A fish is startled for some reason and dashes across the tank head first into something
    They do lose their balance, start swimming funny and eventually die

8. OP
    KatjaMontaldos

KatjaMontaldos

Thank you so much everyone. Nothing has happend since and it makes sense with what has been said since he was a skittish fish. If it does happen again I will put a night light though. All seems good for now though.

9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Very good to hear all is OK ... weird thing about skittish fish, they always make the other restless so maybe long term for the better for the rest of the tank.

Later Ferdie

10. mgk

mgk

i have seen this with one of mine as well even with the light on, it did it once and never again. Almost like it bumped it unconscious but then recovered after a few seconds again.

11. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

I don't know if this could have caused a scare, but was the room lit when you turned to tank lights off? I always tell my daughter to remember to keep the room lit when switching tank lights so as to not give the fish a fright or make them stressed out. Just a though.

12. Stalker

Stalker

My Giant gourami do it as well, the problem is when a 64cm big fish do it, it sounds like somebody use a hammer to break my tank.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Recent Posts