Whsat is up with fish prices in Gauteng? PTA...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by fhmarais, Jan 27, 2014.

1. fhmarais

fhmarais

Went browsing in a few LFS and LPS.

Must say the prices are getting a bit steep out there.
    Guess it must be the e-tolls pushing prices up.
    Would say a little fish that was R22-00 each now goes for R35-00 (same shop)
    And seen the trend at 3 shops.

2. Guest

3. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

@fhmarais: Yeah I have noticed the trend too for the last 4 month the prices just climbed by 10-20% it is just insane. Not to mention at one shop the fish would go for R8 and in another it would go for R32. I understand with the rand what it currently is that prices would increase but not by this much.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. iamdieter

iamdieter

Currency related 100%, and to top it shipping charges are also escalating.

5. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

I have noticed this for months now, and some of the fish are bred locally. So still does not explain the price difference between shops.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. DewaldC

DewaldC Magikarp

Some shops have a higher profit margin.:confused:

7. iamdieter

iamdieter

Yip, and location, size etc. will all be factors. Don't think anyone is getting rich running a LFS in SA.

8. L~C~G

L~C~G

Some shops need a higher profit margin. I run my own business and the margins are getting tighter every month.

I bought a 10cm Milomo two weeks ago that was priced at R240.00, he was a stunning fish so I paid it. Another shop wanted to charge me R390.00 for a 12cm Tiawan Reef.

9. OP
    fhmarais

fhmarais

I understand the R/$ thing. I see it with IT purchases as well. A case I bought for R644-00 now will set you back R750-00 and I got my case a week back.
    And overhead I can understand as well. People must pay their personnel. Think it is time to look at trading stock and getting a breeding setup going...

10. Caudelia

Caudelia

i understand the rand exchange rate but i know also that pet shops have to cover their losses so they mark up sometyms at 100%. sometimes fish land in SA and half the shipment doesnt make it! so i can understand price hikes for the rare fish but for all the common live bearers, cichlids , etc most pet shops are buying these from amatikulu on the north coast of Durban! theres no exchange rate there last i heard! in october i paid R45 for juvenile clown loaches , in nov/dec i paid R74 for same size clown loaches! i was hoping its just for the festive season and prices would get back to normal now.

11. iamdieter

iamdieter

I hear you in regards to locally produced fish, but what happens with all exporters when the ZAR devaluates, is that they have the opportunity to make more margin on exports, and their export demands grow, as they are suddenly very competitive globally. In-turn the fish are not sold cheap locally as they are in demand internationally at higher prices.

Recent Posts