What price do you pay for plants?

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by pierreschoonraad, Aug 17, 2019.

1. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

This question goes two ways. What do you pay in R terms per plant and how many losses have you had with emersed plants melting when going submersed.

Seeing that lab grown plants are slowly taking over the plant market, high end side. These plants are not cheap at all. But in the end what do you get?

I spend R150 on one pot of ADA hygrophila pinnatifida a week ago. Yes it is expencive for a pot of plants and not in everybodies budged. I got 9 plants in the container with some funny looking black gell, used to the clear gell. I added these plants to three different aquariums. 30cm cube, soft acidic water. 2ft shellie tank, hard high ph water. Log tank, no idea what the water paramaters are. 2ft gourami tank, soft acidc water. Only 2 plants showed signs of melting/drying. Both of them are on the log, roots in the water and top emersed. All the other plants have doubled in size without any melting. I don't add any ferts, only 2 tanks have a planted substrate.

So for the money spend it was defnitly worth it. Please give your oppinions and experiance with the plants you got and reasons why. I added some foto's of the plants in the cube, shellie and log tanks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

If forgot about the one I added to the wabi jar. Which majes it 10 plants at R15 a plant that was a very good deal

4. fux940510

fux940510

I also managed to get some of the ADA h. pinnatifida, along with some crypts and e. tennelus. Amazingly, the crypts didn't melt at all, which was a pleasant surprise. The h. pinnatifida lost some darker colour leaves, but quickly replaced them with new bright green ones. The black gel was a bit strange, as it made it a bit tough to see what root growth was like. Everything else had clear gel

In terms of number of plants, the crypts had about 8 plants per cup, and the e. tennelus had about 10 too. I usually buy plants that have already gone through the conversion process, so i have never had a plant melt. Luckily enough.

pierreschoonraad likes this.
  5. Chandz

Chandz

I find that invitro plants are too expensive. On average my plants cost R60 per pot and I get the same if not more out. Luckily I have never experienced Crypt melt.

6. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Good to hear both sides. In general potted plants are way bigger than their invitro counter parts which is a big plus for them. Although I found that the potted plants take some time to adapt to their new parameters where the invitro plants start growing from day one.

7. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I usually pay R40 locally in Nelspruit, R50 online. I have ordered some Invitro cups on Friday for R150 each I think. This will be the first time using plants from invitro cups. I'm glad you asked this question and mentioned that the plants don't melt. Thank you!!

8. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

I paid 8 GBP for a single pot of bucephalandra in the UK and as expensive as it is, it was worth it because I could split it up into 7 pieces and super-glue it into different spots on the same rock.

Minimal melting and loss of older leaves but still growing well and not one sign of dying yet. Also no ferts in the tank as well, I know I need to get some but for a small tank, I think I'll be better off getting Seachem Flourish and Excel long term as it's not like having my old tanks where I use a lot more fert.

9. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I love it when both sides of the story gets told.

I must just add that this was the first time, in a long time, that I actually bought plants. This was also only my 2nd time I got invitro, all other plants I got were potted plants. Mostly anubias, which are grown emersed or submersed but in 100% humidity. Can't remember when last I got any other plants as I just removed exsess to other tanks.

Which plants did you find started growing the fastest out of a pot?

10. fux940510

fux940510

Glosso did pretty well, but I did a dry start with that so it probably helped a lot.
    Hemianthus Micranthemoides lived up to its name of Pearl Weed and grew obscenely fast, even without CO2.
    Rotala Colourata also grew pretty quickly, but not like the HM.
    Amazon swords took a while, but once the roots were well established they grew at a decent pace.

11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I don’t buy plants often. Wouldn’t last 2 minutes in my tank with the dollars.

However about 18 months ago I bought a few Dennerle tissue cultured Marsilea for about £6 (R100) per tub.
    They are growing with my other semi tropical ferns as part submerged aquatics. They adapted well and quickly filled the pot. Thought they were a bit expensive at the time, but have done well so I can’t complain.

12. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Who in the UK did you buy your tissue culture?

13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

There is a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics about 15 mins from me.
    They are all over the UK. A branch near you should be able to get something if you are interested.

Also a fish shop in Enfield called Wildwoods

And finally Ebay also sometimes has Dennerle TC plants for sale.

Rainstorm likes this.
  14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

And I think even Pets at Home might also supply tc plants

Rainstorm likes this.
  15. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Ah I was just wondering as I got my first plant order from https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/ - I think the prices are reasonable and you get next day shipping as well so I don't have to travel to petshops that have terrible looking plants.

Last time I checked Pets at Home in Selby, they didn't even stock plants but they had nice wood for a good price. I still got to visit Ferrybridge Aquatics which is about 17 mins drive from me.

Reedfish likes this.
  16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The UK is very good for mail order.
    But tbh I like going to the fish shops and having a walk around.

Rainstorm likes this.
  17. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Yeah me too, specially if you want to get fish or shrimp and prefer to inspect the tanks in person.

18. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

It depends on the style of tank you doing but vallies grow super fast. In a couple of weeks you will see amazing growth with plenty of new shoots everywhere. Amazon sword is also a good.

Hygrophila difformis in the submerged or emerged for grows super quick. I have the emerged state in my tank and saw bright green growth within a week. Adding that the current substrate is not near as good as Amazonia or any of the other quality substrates on the market. Please not this was without CO2 or basic ferts for the first week.

What do you guys pay for Anubias? I pay R75 locally

19. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

All depends on the type. I have paid from R50 to just over R400, for a white anubia which I killed in two months.
    There is an advantage of going to the local pet shop that stock fish and plants. They will most likely stock non aquatic plants, put you might find the odd diamont between the coal.

@Reedfish and @Rainstorm. I know Greenaqua is a Bulgarian company, but have you seen any of their branded fertiluzer or used them?

A new day and Rainstorm like this.
  20. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Yeah I got my DHG from a local pet shop and it's growing well, DHG is pretty easy to grow and quite hardy.

Never heard of Greenaqua, let alone used their products.

21. Pezulu

Pezulu

I have quite a few different crypts, and have experienced melt with some or the rarer varieties.
    Cryptocoryne Balansae is known for melting, and doesn't like being disturbed once it has been planted.

Another issue with most crypts is that absolutely hate Seachem Excel, and will melt with even the tiniest bit of Excel in a tank.
    I have a 4ft display tank, that isn't worth much of a display as a result of Excel.
    Most of the Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown and Green melted away completely.
    There are big ugly empty patches where there were stunningly beautiful plants before.

Recent Posts