What is inspiring you?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by f-fish, May 6, 2018.

1. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

upload_2018-5-6_4-55-39.png

Not sure if we have a thread like this, in short I am keen to learn what inspires you - mostly related to this hobby if you like. The thought and need to capture and ask about inspiration was born from a question.

Why do you want to grow plants underwater and keep fish with them? My answer was cause I can ... not very inspirational, but what does inspire one?

If you are new to pop psych google Maslow and the volumes of motivational stuff on the internet.

Social media and the "live in the moment" thinking I suspect has given me a false sense that Status/Esteem is a big must (almost like starting this thread and then having to explain why I want to start it .... eish, not my intention promise) so for me, I am hitting the pause button on that need. BTW an others need for status does provide great content for inspiration - so lets not totally disqualify this.

upload_2018-5-6_5-6-22.png

Self-actualisation is my top pick, not sure any of the others will lead to great success with this hobby.

Based on this what inspires you and WHY

upload_2018-5-6_5-13-26.png

Later Ferdie

2. Guest

3. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Looking at my youtube history for the last few hours .. it is clear I like to stay on topic. Some are clicks others recommendations - google knows best - right.

upload_2018-5-6_5-20-21.png

I also have my favorites ... things I go back to - but I turn the sound off.

This video was mentioned before on TASA ... I keep going back to it - pure inspiration.

Later Ferdie

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

upload_2018-5-6_5-32-52.png

I would love to see some of your favorite bookmarks that give you inspiration.

Show tanks are actually a big thing, and I really enjoyed this day - still think back how great it could have been if we had coffee on tap. Ah well maybe next time.

For the more consistent in content do not forget about some suppliers and the marketing efforts ...

upload_2018-5-6_5-39-26.png

or the competitions they run

upload_2018-5-6_5-42-12.png

I am not big into competitions ... but if it is your thing maybe competing is your driver and this your inspiration ... you have entered right ?

Note the result of these competitions always inspire me.

Later Ferdie

5. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

upload_2018-5-6_5-53-3.png

As for closing the intro to this thread ... above the other things that I think to some degree inspires me ...

Where do you get your inspiration ?

Later Ferdie

6. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Wow. Very interesting question your asking, with very complicated answers.

I sit with 18 tanks running, and behind each 1 there is a different reason why it is there. But before we get to the reasons the big question is what inspires me. I have a soft spot for animals and always used my daughter as an excuse to get a bunny or guneapigs etc. But all this gives you is a animal that eats and poops. Yes there is interaction but all done on human terms in a human world. Imo fish are the only pets you can keep in their own enclosed eco system, even though still unnatural but you get my point.

My insperation/vision with most of my tanks was and always will be that of a glass box dropped in a river/dam/marsh. Yes I have done hightech but found little satisfaction in it. Looks very good but not very natural.

To look at the Dorry video, from 5 years ago, brings back a huge amount of memories though. Lovely tank and last time I was there still awesome.

But there is 1 tank that inspired me the most, . Takashi Ammanos tank at the Sumda Aquarium, a very close second is his home aquarium. Trying to replecate this is a dream, with the space and tank volumes I have at my disposal. Seeing a tank grow and matures to the vision you had with it is satisfaction enough, eventhough the only other people that ever sees it is family, inlaws and a close circle of friends.

Being a natural recluse I dissapear into my fish room/sanctuary to recharge my sanity which our crazy world tends to deplete on a dayley basis. Sitting in front of the 4ft and watching the Rainbows go about or the shrimps grazing around breaks all bonds with my surroundings.

So basicly what it boils down to is my fish/plants/shrimp is my own personal pshycologist. They keep me sane. Keep me bussy. Keep me focused. Who knows if it wasn't for the aquariums I might have lost it a long time ago.

c04b0d7df29d5cc38029296d02197165.jpgd3bf6e581fff3145cf1908035b2ccc8f.jpg5eca14a6b5a45a7c3b4aeec074a7c4ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Oh man ... this brought back some memories - thanks for sharing. Talk about leaving a legacy that few will ever understand and even less will care about.

n7tfUhihd_E0CzcEEcRBF1kNvGmjcBdg0F4C8FotYtBrCfyClkC7AP0WBIkCdW7oIYlP-bcU2zR9KiOD7fw=w718-h404-no.jpg

Funny how this promotional video had me all teary eye'ed in a foreign country ..

- So inspiration is rather weird and sometimes totally unrelated to the hobby of fish keeping or making green things in a jar. A gluetube content set that I really like are the TED's ...

@pierreschoonraad - think this echo's to some degree what you have also expressed.

but sometimes one really needs to spend a few hours consuming content to hit the gems.

So how does habit relate to actualization of inspiration for you?

Later Ferdie

Christiaan Duvenage likes this.
  8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Interesting thread! Obviously I have a lot to crunch on.

For me fish are a passion, possibly even a study path one day. And seeing such amazing tanks is inspirational to say the least.

In this coming holiday I need to do a big fish (bed)room refurbish. I've hit rock bottom at the moment. My biggest tank is being hit by algae and sagging paint. My shrimp tank has a fading light, my plant holding tank doesn't have a light anymore and I have another tank just sitting with a few small tetras.

A planted tank is definitely on the agenda, you guys are a huge inspiration and help for that. Maybe time to try something other than plain rhizomes and vallis. Slowly been stashing wood and substrate for this.

What I really find inspiration in though, is long term projects. Seeing fish and tanks grow, like my big tank, June 2016-now
    20160715_160923.jpg IMG_20180506_202827.jpg

Even this is due for a tear down and redo.

What comes now is some experimenting. One 60l and two or three 30l tanks to build lights and filtration systems for. But what to do? Aquascapes are not feasible for so many tanks. Also since they'll be arranged "back to back" so I see them at the side.

Killifish are definitely an option for me. I have a thing for African fishies, and you get some very pretty fishies for a 60l.

Guppies for a 30l sound fun too. But we all know how those go here, shop guppies are useless.

Maybe I should find a smaller fish to breed, again killies. All I've bred so far is shrimp. But what can I find that's compact and interesting? :(

Maybe it's more rant than inspiration now. But I'm going to find something! Well, if I can afford it :p

9. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

I've always found animals amazing. Dispite our huge differences in humans and animal some less then others animals can survive without technology. Take away everything humans have and see how many will survive with just using their bodies to cope with nature. Most of us will starve get sick and die. But animals can survive the outside world without any equipment.
    I also look at my pets and I'm amazed at their personalities. They love, get scared, miss someone and get angry just like us. We have 4 dogs and every single one is special. My son's dog is the most recent add on to out family. She's a house dog and an absolute Darling. She is loyal to her new owner to a fault and follows him EVERYWHERE. When he is at school she lays on my bed and watching the gate through the window until he comes home.

Well what inspires me is how awesome and amazing every single creature is ( including guppies).

As for in this hobby seeing things live and grow in a mini ecosystem is inspiration it's self. I look at my plants in my fish tanks and can see new daily growth on some. I love spending my time with my hobby and expanding as I go. Guppy genetics is facinating and strain breeding despite how slow it goes is intresing.

I'm working on my own stain of Blue Phantom guppies. Took me a long time to get where I am but they still ned a lot of work but I'm happy with the results so far. As for breeding fish is fun and challenging. 3 years ago almost 4 years now I started with one tank and 5 guppies. I now have a fishroom (which use to be our dinning room :lol:) with11 tanks and more fish.
    I love all fish. I can't choose a favorite but Gouramis as one of them.
    Who knows where I will be in another 4 years. I don't have a set goal. I just take it one step at a time and enjoy my hobby

10. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Very inspirational ... seeing real driftwood being the backbone, little depressing that I will probably never get to do a tank with this plant volume from day 1 ....

- will play it on loop for a while.

Later Ferdie

11. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

The depression we handle by dreaming and trying to replicate it in a 1ft

f-fish likes this.
  12. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I am not one that spends much time dreaming about housing plate fish .. but man the process and quality of these guys are amazing.

Somehow I just do not know our suppliers to the LFS to our tanks can sustain this type of process.

Later Ferdie

mattie likes this.
  13. andries

andries

'Cause we stay on the "gatkant van die wereld" and the Rand that keeps plummeting, there 'll never be a chance.

14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

They have unlimited access to good quality water which they don't have to heat or chemically treat. Makes a big difference.

15. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

wow ...

16. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

"The water comes. The fish lives"

Amazing video Ferdie. Wow doesn't even come close to describing it. So sad that we here don't cherish our water/nature as much.

17. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Watched it a second time ... very few places or people have this level of symbiosis with the living environment, those streams are so clean ... I want to say industrialisation broke things but think it is actually a lack of respect. We always think we can fix things later or get somebody to fix it for us.

Later Ferdie

18. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

That is so true. I look at that stream of 'used' water and stand amazed. Living in perfect nature. Take what you need and give back what you can.

19. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

So inspiration is not always about what we do, but memories we have associated with sounds - .... this is actually blowing my mind ..

All of the floppotron's are great ...

but seriously ..

or maybe it is just that ...

Later Ferdie

20. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

A lovely studio, man

21. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

very nice ... a little to clinical for me to be practical, but can see why an ADA distributor needs such a space to showcase.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts