What Apistogramma species are you keeping??

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Big G, Jun 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Hi Folks,

Just a question of interest really.... What Apistogramma Species and colour variants/morphs are you keeping?

I'm interested to know what species are currently being kept in South Africa?

Another question could be, what species have you had success in breeding?

Regards
    G!

2. Guest

3. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

I should probably start it off I guess?

I currently have a trio of Trifasciata (Possibly 'Gaupore', sold as Maciliensis) and two pair of Agassizii 'Dutch Gold' coming once I set up my new tank?

Looking to try and get some Bitaeniata, Borelli or something more unusual?

Regards
    G!

4. Fub4r

Fub4r Glaukos

Hi Big G,

We met at Altums Shop a couple of days ago. I currently have a pair of Agassizii and had a spawn in the first 3 days, but unfortunatly the little fry where either eaten up by the new discus or got taken into the filter. I am setting up a breeding tank and will move them to that in the next few days.

5. Go-Big

Go-Big

Apisto Cacuatoides orange flash. Unfortunately the female died on me.(possible nitrate poisoning from transport). Waiting for my book...lol. Planning on setting up 6 tanks for breeding them. Will identify a specie or 3 and get stock.

6. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Hey Fub4r, yes, it was a pleasure to meet you, although I'm still sure I met you somewhere else before?!

Those Agassizii 'Dutch Gold' are absolute stunners huh?! Feel free to put up some pics here.

The best bet for breeding is to use a sponge filter or two, that way they cannot get sucked into the filtration. Obviously this only works in a smaller tank! Best of luck!

Cheers
    G!

7. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Hey Go-Big, yes, your book will arrive in due course! Sorry to hear of you female woes! I hope you manage to find another soon? Any pics of the male?

Infact, anybody feel free to post pics of your Apistos here, should you be keeping any?

Regards
    G!

8. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Can these be kept in the temp Discus require???

9. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

What temp are you keeping the Discus at? The Agassizii are fine upto around 28 ish, after that, it can get a bit too hot for them? I know there seems to be some differential between discus keepers as to temps, some say must be minimum of 29'C, others anything over 27'C?

Hope that helps? I'll try and see if there are any Apistos that prefer the higher heat? I'm sure there are?

Regards
    G!

10. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I know this is completely off topic.. sorry @Big G you can moderate the thread if you feel it necessary. I've chatted to a few discus breeders and got a lot of information regarding the temp. I'm changing to discus hopefully by the end of the year, hence the research.

Discus will "survive" at lower than 29 deg temps, however at anything lower than 30 their immune system is lessoned. Everybody I've spoken to says that the discus are more prone to illness in water less than 30, and show healthier signs, and breeding behaviour at temps at 30 or higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Go-Big

Go-Big

[​IMG] I got this from TM.

12. Fub4r

Fub4r Glaukos

The temp is between 29 and 30 deg at the moment, Altum has said the temps will shorten the lifespan of the apisto's. I am on my way to pick up a 60cm stand for the breeding tank and will hopefully have the pair in there by the end of today.

Discus are doing well so far, just had to close up all hiding spots in the tank to force them into the open so far so good. Feeding about 6 - 9 times a day.

Will post pics of the apistos and discus once everything is sorted :)

13. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

@Go-Big... Thats a nice pic there! A beautiful specimen!

@Fub4r, once you put the Agassizii in their own tank, and start looking to breed them, you should look to stabilise the temp at around 26'C. This seems to be the most widely accepted practice, and should give you an even split between males and females from any spawns.

@Zoom, Nay probs me laddie! Its relevant at the mo, since we are talking about keeping them with Discus.....

@every one else.... What you guys got then? There must be more than two Apisto keepers on the site? Especially after all the recent imports over the past year or two??

Regards
    G!

14. Toshi

Toshi

I got some cucatiodes

[​IMG]

15. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Nice @Toshi! Its good to see some actual red in those Triple reds! Haven't seen any 'triples' that red in a good while! Most I've seen have been very orangee, and hardly red at all!

Cheers
    G!

16. Go-Big

Go-Big

Big G, what is the minimum tank size for a breeding pair?

17. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

I have had success using a tank at 40cm x 45cm x 45cm, but did find that to be a little cramped when dealing with larger spawns.

If I were to do it all again, I'd use 60cm x 45 x 45cm tanks. The important thing is floor space. You could go as shallow as 30cm water line, but I prefer the extra volume of a 45cm (or higher) to allow for the water to stay at a higher quality. More water volume can help keep the quality higher.

Also important in my view is to provide good tank setup... I would use fine sand, place a nice twisty piece of Mopani into the middle of the tank, place a few teracotta plant pots cut vertically in half into the sand around the wood, and plant out the back half of the tank heavily. This provides places for the fry to hide, and allows some protection. You could also add some smaller plants around the front to if you wish, but keep a clearing so the female has somewhere to bring her brood out to.

Hope this helps??

Regards
    G!

18. Go-Big

Go-Big

Yes it does. What im doing with my kribs currently is; They breedd in the community tank then i remove the fry into a small tank. After that they go to the LPS and the new fry go into the tank again. My plan is to have a breeding tank, then a fry tank, then a larger tank to handle 40-50 fry to sub adult.(All x3) So one breeding pair needs 3 tanks and the fry moves over as soon as the new batch hatch. Does it makes sense?

19. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

That makes sense, but when I had mine, they bred every two weeks like clockwork! Particularly my Agassizi 'Red Gold' and Sp. Steel Blues. So, before you knew it, you could have three spawns together in one, and the female would happily look after them all in one go! Only once the fry approached 1cm would the female start chasing them off! I tried removing fry, but what I found more effective was to move the parents, so I'd let them have 2 spawns in one tank, then move the parents to the next tank and allow the fry to grow out in that tank, then after 2 spawns (if close together) in the new tank, would move the parents again. The only issue with this way is that you have a lot of tanks filled in no time if the pair are prolific breeders? Thats when things get complicated!

Its at that point that you seperate the male and female for a while until you've cleared you tanks of fry!

Cheers
    G!

20. Go-Big

Go-Big

I see what you say. I'll start setting up the tanks and in the mean while looking for stock. Have any?

21. OP
    Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Don't have anything. Packed in the breeding setup, and will just be keeping Apisto's in community tanks now. I only have a trio of Trifasciata, and they were expensive! It would cost you a lot to buy them, and get them to George!

Cheers
    G!

Recent Posts