Water Pump Size

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WadeSmith, Jul 23, 2017.

1. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Hello Everyone

I would just like to find out if any of you know if this size water pump is sufficient enough to pump water over the distance that i want.

The specs of the water pump is:
    3000L/H
    Height of 3.5m
    40 Watt(i think)

The distance i want to pump the water is from my aging barrel to my fish tank.
    So the pump will sit at the bottom of my aging barrel and will have to lift the water about 1m up and then back 1m down to the ground and then the pipe runs 7m on the ground before it has to lift up into my tank which is 1.5m up.

Anyone with a similar situation or anyone with opinions or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu

Check what the maximum head height is of the pump.
    Most pumps are rated at either 90 cm, 120 cm and 180 cm.
    The stronger the pump the higher it can pump, usually.

4. andries

andries

Should be efficient.

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree with @Pezulu, check the maximum height recommendation of the pump
    The boxes usually have a chart on the side of the box giving you the height to rate of flow

It's quite a bit of height and long distance so rather make sure, you dont want something that works for a while and doesnt last.

6. OP
    WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Thanks for the input. The head height on the side of the box says 3.5m for that model, its quite a big pump(physical size) and the cost is about R1100. The model just one above the one i want to get is the biggest model of that brand and it costs about R2200.

So the one i'm looking at is still a bit pricey plus its the second biggest model, so i'm sure it will be quite strong. Besides, i'm not going to pay over R2000 for a water pump haha sounds crazy to pay so much. But then again, i don't want to pay over R1000 for something that could not work the way i want it to, that's why i asked for some opinions on it.

7. mjmza

mjmza

Since you are going up / down and then up again and assuming the barrel is on the same level as the tank, the head height would be 1.5m plus the additional height added by any elbows used in the plumbing. If you are using a flexible pipe with no elbows you should stay close to the 1.5m height. But if you are using 90 degree elbows for tighter turns then you can work on an additional 30cm of head height per 90 degree elbow. For a pump with that specs you are looking at I guess about 1000 - 1200LPH at the end which should be fine for a water change.

8. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

It will work better than mine. I use a 1600LPH with a 1.8m head height same distance and tank height with 2 L joints. It pumps my 250L aging barrel empty in 15 minutes. I do 2 tanks with this barrel.

9. OP
    WadeSmith

WadeSmith

@mjmza thanks for the input, i will be using flexible pipe to do the job so there will be no 90 degree elbows.
    @BoelderBeestie Wow so it seems like the pump i want to get will be more than sufficient to do the job. I can get a pump one lower than the one i want which has a head height of i think 2.1m and a flow of 2000LPH if i'm not mistaken, but i would rather overcompensate just in case i want to change things around in the house. Thanks for the input.

I think i will buy that pump this weekend then, i'm really tired of carrying buckets around and messing water everywhere.

10. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

The bigger the better, nobody wants to wait long for a wc like me haha. Get the L joints in case, it doesn't restrict that you will notice and when I didn't have them my pipe landed on the floor sometimes and pumped water everywhere when it came loose from the tank. With the 2 L's you make a U so you just hang it on the side and pump. When you bend the pipe it also pinches and restricts flow much more than 2 L joints, the warm water makes it very soft and it bends easily. I also use one of those U shaped things made for washing machines on the barrel's side to avoid pinching.

11. OP
    WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Ah yes, that does make sense. I will buy the L joints then as well. I didn't really think of that haha otherwise i would of just stood next to the tank holding the pipe while it fills up. So basically i need to buy the pump, pipe and L joints. I think that should do it for now.

Recent Posts