Water pH Control

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Kois, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kois

Kois

Hi.
    I purchased a decent electronic pH meter with seperate electrode yesterday and measured my tank water pH, it was 7.52.
    According to my seachem pH disk inside the tank the pH is 6.6. My cheap R20 pH test kit I purchased 2 years ago shows pH of 7.6. Not bad for a R20 kit.
    I tested my tap water (straight from the tap) and the electronic pH meter shows a pH of 9 (and still slowly rising)! I beleive this will drop if water is aged.
    Is there anyone else staying in the Brackenfell area (I am next to Cape Gate Makro) who have measured tap water pH?
    I want to know if I should calibrate my pH meter, according to the manufacturers it was calibrated, so I dont want to mess with the calibration unless necessary.

2. Guest

3. OP
    Kois

Kois

Follow up:
    Calibrated the pH meter and got a reading of 7.31. I previously had Malawis in the tank and substrate is crushed coral. The Malawi tank was running for two years. Could it be the crushed coral that is preventing the water pH from dropping below 7? Will the crushed coral still have such a significant buffer effect even after two years?
    Thanks in advance

Recent Posts