Water circulation and flow in heavy planted tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TetraJacques, Sep 30, 2019.

1. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Hi TASA,

Am I missing something???

Now that the plants has grown out I'm losing a lot of water circulation due to the dense plant growth at the back wall where the one filter outlet is placed. At the front I have my other filter outlet moving my CO2 around but the filter is so weak the moment the water reaches the other side there's hardly any current meaning all my CO2 flows up to the surface. The plants on the right side of the tank is showing lack of CO2 and ferts as my star grass is turning black and my rotala nanjenshan is turning brown.

I have tried everything to get the water flow stronger. I have a wave maker but the thing is so strong that is blows the plants flat and my fish will suffer with the strong current. I have used the spray bars on both filters but I'm loosing to much CO2 to the surface. There's nothing I haven't tried.

Are there any suggestions you guys maybe have? The photos below shows the red circulation at the back and the blue in front. There you can see the rotalas are still green. 2nd photo you can see they aren't doing well!!

_20190926_191549.JPGDSC_0310.JPG

2. Guest

3. Figeth

Figeth

In my tank I added a wave-maker (covered with a stocking for the shrimp) to add circulation...

4. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I've added the wave maker now to where the front outlet was and it seems a bit better. Some plants are taking a bit of beating but it's fine. My fish are also more active now.

I guess this all comes part and parcel of the learning process.

5. David Kusner

David Kusner

@TetraJacques It looks like you are using a canister and it looks look like that tank is around 100L, so I would suggest that you DIY your self a spray bar from 20mm pvc conduit and make it run the back length of the tank. That should solve the problem.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I've got a spray bar for both canisters. Do you mean vertical of horizontal? I've seen some people running it vertical at the back. Proplem is the aqua ones flow rate is a lot stronger that the tetra ex600 but the spray bar is to long even if I just use half of the pipe. The ex600 spray bar fits in nicely but the flow rate is not strong enough. The plants are just to dense at the back.

If I run the aqua one horizontally it fits perfectly. I'm just confused where to place the CO2 diffuser then because the Ex600 doesn't create much circulation.

In all honesty, I think this tank is just to small for all the plants and if I have to do it again I'll rethink the whole idea.

Its feels a bit like I knocked my head big time on this one.

7. necris

necris

Dont feel too bad, did the same on my tank, its so damn full i cant clean properly. even my mini syphon is too big.
    plecos love it, hardly see them during light cycle.
    have you considered a small powerhead, may give you a little less flow than the wavemaker

8. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I have tried a little China shop power head o_Oand its not to bad. After adding the wave maker last night it actually blew out all the old leaves in between the dense growth and was much easier to remove at the end.

I can't get in between the plants at all against the back and I can't just use the pipe from the gravel vac, because my shrimps are in between these plants and there's two carrying eggs and I have a couple of small ones that made it from the last time there were eggs.

For now I'll stick with the wave maker. It makes removing of the old leaves much easier and I know there's enough water flow at the back.

necris likes this.
  9. Toy

Toy

10. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

11. A new day

A new day

Told you you had enough plants to supply the whole of mpumalanga :lol:perhaps time to start that plant trade business :thumbup:

T. Guppy likes this.
  12. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Maybe a good idea to get the funds for the fish room lol :lol:

T. Guppy, necris and A new day like this.
  13. rsa

rsa

Why dont you just use a cheap wave maker ? Builders sells one for R80 and its rated at 150l/h

TetraJacques likes this.
  14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I think a wavemaker is better choice than a power head as it creates current everywhere and as ou say bring the debris trapped under and around the plants out

A power head just blows current in a straight line

Given a chance, i think the wavemaker is the way to go

15. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Will see the results tonight especially regarding the CO2 distribution. I am using two drop checkers in the tank. One on the side and one at the back and the one at the back never changes colour. Meaning those plants do get enough CO2 and possibly no ferts.

Water wisteria is suppose to grow super fast and even faster with CO2 and mine is definitely not growing that fast. My hydro tripartita is growing faster than the wisteria.

This is clear signs of problems with the circulation.

16. A new day

A new day

FIY I’m having the same issue with my water sprite (floating). Not doing much at all and taking forever to transition. I thought it was such an easy plant and grows like the clappers, but not in my tank when other ‘more demanding’ plants are doing well. So don’t read too much into the water wisteria growth.

TetraJacques likes this.
  17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Lets hope it works, im pretty confident that it will

TetraJacques likes this.
  18. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Main reason I'm on this forum.. Best advise you can get is from people with experience. I have read so many different information on the Internet that completely contradicts it self.

A new day likes this.
  19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Unfortunately internet can be your best friend but also your worst enemy

You need to go through a load of websites and gather all the info and then sift out the more consistent info but as you say, advice from experience and sharing of thoughts and ideas is the way to go

TetraJacques and A new day like this.
  20. Amakawa

Amakawa

Have you perhaps a link to show the item?

necris likes this.
  21. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

These work quite well
    https://www.aquaempire.co.za/product-page/sobo-wp-50m-wave-maker

I used the WP300M in my 4ft 350 litre tank.
    It was installed above the CO2 diffuser, and spread the CO2 throughout the tank.
    You can adjust the flow by pulling the grid forward or pushing it back.

Take a zero off the advertised flow rate, to get a more accurate rate.

Recent Posts