Water changes

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by LanceP, Jan 12, 2009.

1. LanceP

LanceP

When it comes to changing the water on a weekly basis. I know ordinary tap water is not preferred, but I don't know why. I've always changed my water directly from the tap and things are relatively okay. I haven't lost any fish (except the Discus that were stressed by the convict cichlids) in the last 5 months

By leaving it overnight and dechlorinating it, what purpose does this immediately serve? Or is it a matter of the fish just lasting longer?

2. Guest

3. Singularity

Singularity

by aerating overnight or maybe even a couple of days you ensure that the pH of the water is stable when you add it to the tank.

4. solex69

solex69

Quite right

I, on the other hand, just add the water straight from the tap to my tanks without any problems. I don't even use any more chemicals to treat the water (unless I'm breeding with my fish of course)....I'm yet to encounter a problem with this. (PS - I know I'm not the only person doing this :) )

5. candym0m

candym0m

I wasn't aware that the water should stand overnight before being added to the tank... Thanks! I just learnt another useful thing :)
    As for pouring the water in straight from the tap... South Africa's water system is seriously screwed at the moment! (test it and you'll see) I wouldn't recommend adding water straight from the tap. I would first treat the water, let it stand overnight (now that I know of this useful titbit) and THEN add it to the tank.

6. LiftCrazy*

LiftCrazy*

I use a hand shower to fill my water change bucket at high velocity (water for topping off the tank), this, according to a few tips i read online, helps outgass the water. I then treat with dechlor and add slowly to the tank (Pouring in at the filter intake)

7. Bobeyente

Bobeyente

Mmmmmmmkay, try this I mix hot and cold water to match the current temp of the tank add treatment and fill again. I have kept fish for 2 decades and never lost a fish due to a water change. The only fish that requires more tact is apistogramma, my oscars get the hosepipe on a hot afternoon.

My old man used to stand water for 24hrs and top up, he never used any treatments on tap water ever.

8. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

do NOT ever use hotwater to fill your tank as the hot water disolves copper from the geyser and pipes into your tank....

9. OP
    LanceP

LanceP

How about filtering the tap water through those household filters? Does that help?

10. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

you mean the carbon filters or the RO filters?

11. OP
    LanceP

LanceP

Ummm I don't know what's in it.:bigsmile:

Those Brita filters I think. I guess those are the carbon ones?

12. Bobeyente

Bobeyente

I have heard that b4 however Copper only oxidizes with a low ph water and that relates to old houses only Henk.

13. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

chat to prof Belstedt.... he gave me the full explination the other day....

14. candym0m

candym0m

LanceP, I know what you mean... The normal filters used for our drinking water. I'm sure that would be fine - maybe test it first?

On that note: what type of test kit should I use for my tank? (14L square tank) I'm always so confused when I walk into these pet stores... there's just so much to choose from!

15. candym0m

candym0m

I have to agree with the hot water thing... My husband is a plumber and you do not want to use, or drink water from a hot tap. The heat erodes the pipes and gets into the water... (gross!)

Recent Posts