Water change ideas

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Subaman, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Subaman

Subaman

Hi guys,

I am looking for some ideas on how to setup a water change system for a large amount of tanks.
    Bucket and suction pipe is pretty cool, but with 15 tanks plus, I would like to find an easier way.

Perhaps a piping system with taps, etc.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. Jwh

Jwh

The easiest is often to take it off the filtration, what type of filtration do you have, are any of the tanks connected common sumps, or something like that?

4. OP
    Subaman

Subaman

The tanks are all independent, and have a compartment built in which allows the water to overflow like a sump, and then is pumped back into the tank.

5. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic

In my fish room I have one of those square 1000 lt tanks (insulated) for aging / heating water with a pump connected to a long 15mm silicon pipe used to re fill the tank and the syphon is connected to another 15 mm silicon pipe witch leads out into the garden, Quick and easy20150706_174407.jpg
    20150707_172713.jpg
    20151027_190735.jpgBoth pipes have a valve on so that, on the vac side you don't have to start the syphen every time as the pipe stays primed (just don't let the vac suck air) and on the re fill side, when the pump is switched off the water doesn't get sucked back into the water tank.

20150706_174407.jpg

20150707_172713.jpg

20151027_190735.jpg

6. butcherman

butcherman Administrator

a central sump would save a lot of effort, but joining systems can be risky in terms of overall health, if you have an outbreak in one tank, it might and probably will spread to order tanks.

7. Sash

Sash

@GaryG 's suggestion is about the best that I have thought of as well except that I will end up using a wheelie bin for my space.
    I will also have a pump, airline and heater in it.
    For siphoning I am thinking of getting the one with that airball in the pipe (squeeze an release) which can go straight outside. Problem is that will be a long pipe.....looooooong pipe

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Subaman

Subaman

Thanks guys, I will plan for something like that.
    So with such a big water tank, how do you get it fish ready?
    What products do you use, and where do you get it in such quantities.

9. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic

Well I have 13 tanks running, so lots of water is needed. Luckily I use borehole water so no problems with chlorine etc only problem i have is that my borehole water is very high in nitrates so i have a biological filter with purigen running on my storage tank and that is all i need.

10. OP
    Subaman

Subaman

Thanks Gary, so if I collect rain water, what would I need in the biological filter to make it safe?

11. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic

Not 100% sure about using rain water, specially just rain water as it is generally very soft....i think? And then the way you collect the rain water is another factor in that if it is a tile roof it should be clean, depending on dust etc lying on the roof but if it is a corr iron roof you may end up with contaminants from the galvanized sheeting so I wouldn't do that.

I would say use the rain water together with the municipal water and treat it with seachem prime for the chlorine, etc and age it for 48 hours ( put an airstone in the aging drum) and you should be good.Maybe collect some rainwater and have it tested to see what the peramaters are and go from there.

12. Jwh

Jwh

You'll need to treat pure rainwater like RO water and add buffers to it, that will depend on what fish you want to keep, hard water for african malawi cichlids, softer acid water for discus. A number of commercial preparations are available...

Recent Posts