Wabi-kusa inspired scapes.

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by pierreschoonraad, Aug 9, 2019.

1. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I have always been intriged by the fact that some aquatic plants will grow immersed and submersed.

This is when I started doing my log tank. I also went through a fase where I just had to do Wabi-kusas. This went south very fast. Not due to losing interes, I was just a lazy aquarist at that time. Kept on forgetting to add water or mist the plants. And the biggest mistake was using emmersed plants directly to submersed.

Now I got inspired again by @Rainstorms thread about Wabi-kusa. Now having learned from the log I know that you have to let the plant deside when it's ready to grow submersed, which is actually a very time consuming prosess.

Ok. Let me try and make this a short post ( hopefully he adds while knowing he will never be able to ). I invite/challange all member on TASA to start something similar than what Clare posted. Doesn't need to be a Wabi-kusa, there is more than one way of skinning a cat. Post your foto's here and add what we are looking at and how you you got to this point. Or start posting your foto's of the whole prosess.

I will kick it of with my log tank. On the log I have moss on the right with hc growing in the moss. On the left I have suss which can actually grow submersed. In the center I have a anubia and 2 small pieces of buce, which I hope will grow submersed at some point. At the bottom of the tank I have some more buce going and have some shrimp in there to keep algae to the minimum. No wc, just top ups and a pump for circulation. Light are 2 led downlights, can't remember the W.

And then there is the top part of the gourami tank.

Now the one inspired by Clare. Not trying the Wabi-kusa again, I desided on more of a paladium set-up. Stole some of my planted tank substrate. Added a pice of wood and dragon stone chips. Took 2 pieces of buce, moss and crypt compact to grow immersed. I took some of the moss and hc, from the log, and added them submersed. Planning to do a dayley wc to get the water to clear up a bit. Lighting is supplied by a diy tin, and a 7W led downlight. Hopefully this will go better than my previous tries.

Now I sit and wait for the rest of you to join in. Seeing that it is Womans Day, this challange goes out to all the ladies out there. Show us what you have and we will compare it to the better ones done by the men.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Nice one there, @Pierré Schoonraad. You know you can grow buce emersed - just above the water line?

4. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I have some pieces on the log which will start growing out of the water at some time.

Got some hygrophila pinnatifida today and basicly added it to all my water containers. Been looking for it for a while as it is just one of those amazing plants. And I just had to have it. Already added a plant to the bowl as well.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

A new day and Rainstorm like this.

Recent Posts