Using materials you find in nature question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tetra92, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Tetra92

Tetra92

Hey guy's, so this may be a bit much to say but I'll summarize the questions first.

1. Is it frowned apon if you collect material for your aquarium in nature? (not for commercial sale)

2. If the above answer is no then what can you safely use in nature to increase gh and kh? (with out the use of crushed coral)

Background:
    I've been using natural material I find in nature for all my tanks for years now. I haven't payed for sand, rock or wood in ages. Even my 90L community tank has a big peace of kraalbos (Galenia Africana) in it as a centerpiece. Took the dry bush, cut it into shape and leached it for about 4 months.. No issues

So why the issue with gh and kh
    Really want healthy plants and fish in the tank and I badly want to try shrimp. My water is really soft and accidic pH 6 or below..
    I have a big pile of crushed coral I'm hiding behind the tank but by the time I do my weekly 30% waterchange my gh and kh is back to zero and it takes too long to build up again.. (I'm not putting crushed coral in the foreground, it kills the natural look.
    I recently added some fossilized shells I found on a beach.. Diatomb algae went nuts. Silicates I gues..
    Point is I need some kind of stone/common shells/anything besides a product that I can hide in the tank that's safe and common in nature.. If I'm crazy for any reason let me know, its fine :)

IMG_20210806_164548.jpg IMG_20210806_164614.jpg Screenshot_20210806_164829.jpg

If Balazs from Green Aqua was reading this he'd die of a heart attack..

2. Guest

3. Radesh

Radesh

tanks look so good.

Tetra92 likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day Moderator

Tank looks great!
    Sorry can’t assist but what I use is crushed coral, usually in the filter (pantyhose or mesh bag). Seems to do the trick with my very soft water but mine comes out of the tap at 7.

Tetra92 likes this.
  5. OP
    Tetra92

Tetra92

Crushed coral is prob my best bet and putting it in the filter seems like the best logical idea.. I'd have to get more creative

6. Radesh

Radesh

I am not so clued up with this, but you could do a bit of searching on using limestones.

Tetra92 likes this.
  7. Radesh

Radesh

sorry, forgot to add you could also use aragonite. I have a large cichlid tank with aragonite substrate and it helps a lot.

A new day and Tetra92 like this.
  8. OP
    Tetra92

Tetra92

Going to look into that, thank you!

Recent Posts