Wanted: UPS battery backup

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by Ravs, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Ravs

Ravs

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a UPS with a battery back up. Just to run my return pump and wavemaker.

2. Guest

3. David Kusner

David Kusner

How many watts is the pump, I can help you.

4. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

It's the Sebo 5500 l/h return pump. From what I can see, its 75W. The wavemaker is a Sunsun 10 000 l/h. I'm not too sure on the wattage of that.

5. David Kusner

David Kusner

How long do you need it to run for and how often would it run off backup power.

6. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

4-6 hours would be ok. Will only need it if load shedding starts again, so hopefully not often.

7. David Kusner

David Kusner

I have a 1kva UPS that would happily run the equipment, but would probably give you only 2 maybe 3 hours. I also have an inverter that will give you 4 hours, but it will require a large deep cycle battery to achieve this. These types of batteries are usually around R2.5k and under the correct environmental conditions can last up to 5 year before it needs to be replaced. So it comes down to how much you want to spend. PM your details if you want to discuss further.

8. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I use two 1kva's for my air pumps during load shedding. I don't run sponges in my discus tanks anymore but when its load shedding time they make a comeback. a Very energy efficient and cheap way to keep things going and your water quality up during a power outage. Temp drops isn't a problem for me as my fish room is insulated. I run three air pumps per UPS, the batteries last 3 hours.

9. David Kusner

David Kusner

I am running USB nano pumps that run off USB and they are brilliant. Cheap and run for hours of a power bank if their is no power. They run most sponge filters or even just a plain air stone perfectly. I find this to be the most effective solution.
    20190705_094101.jpg 20190705_094702.jpg 20190705_122203.jpg

Cale24 likes this.
  10. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

This is awesome

11. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

Thanks for the info, Definitely something I can read up on and take it from there.

12. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

This is very smart.

13. scotty_88

scotty_88

Why would you need a wavemaker during an outage?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

14. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

Its actually for my marine setup. The return pump doesn't create much surface agitation. My idea is to have the wavemaker creating surface agitation and if the return pump is running then I would not have bacteria die off in the sump.

15. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

You sump should be oxygenating the water as it enters the sump and goes over baffles

16. OP
    Ravs

Ravs

Cool, didn't know that

17. scotty_88

scotty_88

Yeah, correct. Oxygen is the least of your worries in a power outage, it's all about keeping water passing over the media as to avoid anaerobic conditions in your sump.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

18. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

I disagree. Livestock die without oxygen in about 18hrs. If all the bacteria die (which is unlikely) you can cycle the tank with fish in over the next 2 weeks without killing fish.

David Kusner likes this.
  19. Adam K

Adam K

Ok, so I'm also looking for a backup solution but one that will ensure all my attached equipment - that includes heater, 4 filter canisters (not sure of Wattage but assume an average size for 350L tank for each), maxspect gyre, air pump, UV sterlizer will all carry on during any outage for at least 12+ hours. Altough power outages are a few hours we have had 6 days without (Cape Town, a few years back) and I like being over cautious...

Is there a basic kit one can get at online, builders or anywhere which can plug in at the source plug and take over if a power outage happens?

Any advice appreciated.

20. David Kusner

David Kusner

@Adam K So the problem is once you start talking of standby power for anything more than 2 hours, you are looking at a big cost. Inverters and UPS system are generally cheap, the expensive part are the batteries. A single 12v 100Ah deep cycle or marine battery will set you back around R2k. With say a 1kva inverter/UPS that will give you roughly 500 to 600 watts of power and will probably run for around 2 hours max, depending on whether or not you use the full load or not and also the age and condition of the battery.

To make it run longer you could essentially double up on batteries. But now you are already at R4k just for batteries. For the kind of time that you are looking for you may be able to get away with about a R10k system but remember depending on environmental conditions and battery quality you are going to be replacing batteries every 3 to 5 years.

A much cheaper option is to invest in some usb nano pumps for air and perhaps a couple of 12v DC circulation pumps or water pumps then that way you can run everything basically off 12v Dc. This will cost a fraction of the price. I am starting to slowly switch over all my air requirments to individual usb nano pumps. I have been running them now for 6 months and although one or 2 have failed, I am still happy with the results as they are almost silent, produce little to no extra heat, able to run off a power bank and run seamlessly during power failures.

In our office we setup a 200L tank about 4 months ago. As an experiment and also becuase we continually have power outages their, I am running the entire tank with 2 usb nano pumps, one running a airstone and one running a large spone filter. Plus a 12w power head with my DIY internal canister type filter. The tank is perfeclty clean and the water is crystal clear. Stocking is 4 bronze corries, 3 angels, 2 clown loaches, some guppies and some platies and lost of Malaysian trumpet snails. Some val plants and 1 heater that barely comes on since the led lights in the lid of the tank produce enough heat to keep the tank at a almost constant 26 to 27. So far we (the fish) survived all the recent power outages including one that lasted almost 24 hours.

Heating will always be a bit of an issue, but this will only really be in winter and you could always use a gas heater to keep a room at a decent enough temp for the tank water not to drop to low.

When it comes to fighting constant power outages in SA you learn to become very inventive very quickly.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

T. Guppy likes this.

Recent Posts