Two unknown species, to me at least

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Oldtimer, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

I went shopping for blood worms yesterday and came upon these fish at the LPS. I know they are apparently Cichlids as there was price tags on the tank. I bought three of the one species and two of the other. Problem is that when I paid they were substantially more expensive than the price tags on the tank. I still took them home and introduced them into my tank. I have discussed what fish I already had and was assured these will fit in nicely except for maybe one or two neon tetras dissapearing. Well, this morning my last remaining yellow fluorescent was missing. When I switched off the white light I could see small pieces of yellow fluorescent pieces lying around the tank.

I am now not sure what I bought so please assist with identifying these and if possible explain their traits.

20181229_093604.jpg

20181229_093503.jpg

2. Guest

3. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

You have an scat amd an archer fish both brackish water fish scat can become huge and the archers aswell.

4. Ammar

Ammar

Ok so i checked the first one, i think its a spotted scat or argus fish - Scatophagus argus , if it is then these like being in a bigger school and they do get big 20cm .. fron what i read they like brakish water.

5. Ammar

Ammar

Lol Barry beat me to it

6. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Agression levels?

Are they suited for my tank?

7. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Not at all they beed brackish water and like to nip fins.

8. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

So my last yellow fluorescebt's disappearance coul be ascribed to one of my older fish.

You know what is in my tank. What would your honest opinion be who the guilty party could be.

9. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

So you've got the ID down for the most part. While they will tolerate freshwater for a while - especially as youngsters - they will need saltier water as they grow. You might run into some problems otherwise.

These fish aren't aggressive in the way you'd say for a cichlid. Archerfish are proper predators, and are likely to make attempts at eating smaller tankmates, sometimes succeeding. Scats I've never found to be aggressive, but are definitely opportunistic. They're true scavengers, and if there is a sick or dead fish lying around the tank, they'll probably pick at the remains.

Bear in mind that these fish will reach 20cm plus, so they definitely can't be housed with fish the size of tetras for the long term.

MariaS, Barry Roux and Ammar like this.
  10. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

I will swop these five fish for rainbows or tetras or fluorescents any day. My tank was in great state throughout the holidays while we were away for two weeks. Since I bought these fish it is as if all the fish that usually swam in to top 3rd of the water are now hiding between the plants and decorations. There is defenitely stress in the tank now.

11. Ammar

Ammar

Always good to research the fish bwfore buying. I have an app on my phone to quickly check what im buying into. Gives you temprement, tank size etc. Tropical fish guide pocket edition

Marcel_73 likes this.
  12. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

It will also be good if the pet shops that sells these fish give proper advice. I explained exactly what I had in my tank and relied on their suggestions. I know I need to research better and the responsibility still lies with me to buy or not but I feel these places really are judt making a buck.

13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

And it is getting harder and harder for them to do so ... so yeah you almost need to know why you are at the LFS before you go in the front door.

Later Ferdie

14. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

A good few of my impulse buys ended in disaster. Best ask the people on the forum for stocking if you're not 100% sure :)

There is one true freshwater archer species, but I don't think they'll be commonly available in SA. And are also somewhat pricier apparently.

15. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

My problem went away this morning when another of my fluorescents dissapeared overnight and I noticed a marked decrease in my neon tetra numbers which I was not really watching before.

I removed all five new fish and disposed of them. The stress levels in my tank are back to normal and I will go and buy some new fluorescentes, a couple of rainbows and I will be looking for cardinal tetras.

I know some here will say I am heartless but the stress I put into my tank the moment I released those five was unbearable to watch on my old stock.

ancistrus likes this.
  16. Ammar

Ammar

Would the petshop not swap them for you?

17. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I can't believe what I've just read. No respect and pure laziness, probably down the toilet as well. And it's ALL not some. We are animal lovers here.

18. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Boeldertjie, thanks for your valued opinion and your supernatural ability to see from your keyboard what I do in my house. It is really appreciated.

19. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Moderators please lock or delete this thread, I think it has run its course and is not brining any further value to the forum.

20. Ammar

Ammar

@Oldtimer i just want to mention before this thread is closed. I suggested rainbows for your tank, they are very peaceful but please be aware that at full size they will also eat your smaller fish like neons. No matter how peaceful fish are if they find something they can go for they will do it. If you like smaller fish, rather stick to smaller fish. There is nothing more beautiful than 50 neons schooling in a tanks or even better rummy nose tetras. Do some research on best schooling tetras, i cant remember the name of the third one.
    Im just saying this to make sure you didnt missunderstand me. Rainbows are not cheap and i dont want you to buy and regret.

Barry Roux likes this.
  21. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Noted Ammar, and you know I value your and Barry's advice in the highest level.

I will be sticking to smaller size fish and the wife already gave a warm ear about these last five.

I will be buying many neon tetras and a couple of rainbows as I know they get along with everything else I have in the tank.

Again, thanks.

Recent Posts