Tropheus sp. with Mbunas

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Chongkie, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Chongkie

Chongkie

what do you guys think about mixing Tropheus cichlids with Malawi Mbunas in one tank?

I understand that their water parameters are quite different, but if the water parameters are in the middle of the 2, would it work?

Reason I'm asking is that I was to change my mbuna tank to a tropheus tank, but don't want to do it all in one shot. I want to slowly substitute my mbunas with tropheus cichlids.

I know that introducing new cichlids at a later stage is a semi no no, due to their aggression and territorial behaviors. But will the mbunas harass the tropheus? I hear that the Tropheus are way more aggressive, but only to their own kind, unlike the mbunas.

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

2. Guest

3. Swagasaurus

Swagasaurus

4. Africa aquatic

Africa aquatic

Hi Not sure if that is a great idea. Tropheus may very well struggle with Mbunas which are pretty rough. Also they are demanding of water quality and may not appreciate the compromise. You have 2 groups with the same dietary needs which my create trouble. All the info on Tropheus suggest keeping them alone, this is not my area of expertise but my 2 cents worth.

5. OP
    Chongkie

Chongkie

Hehe, i've actually read that thread before. Just wondered if anyone in SA has done it like how I'm proposing to do it.:amuse:

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The water conditions are fairly similar.
    And the both tend to be vegetarians

But Tropheus are hyper aggressive.
    I wouldn't do it personally.

7. Africa aquatic

Africa aquatic

Mbunas are no slouches in the aggression department either. So I would concur with reedfish.

8. OP
    Chongkie

Chongkie

Thanks guys,

I'e read on cichlid forum that the Tropheus won't bother the Mbuna's. But the mbunas will harass the Tropheus though.

I understand all the concerns, however, this is a long term swap of mbuna to tropheus. I'm not planning on keeping the Mbuna's at the end of the day. or maybe in another tank... ai so many tanks i want, but cant .. :cry:

Currently I do not have the most aggressive mbunas, so that is ok. Also, I tend to purposely (controlled) overfeeding them so they are not as aggressive.

I'm not too worried about the mbunas, more about the Tropheus... and I've also read that with Tropheus sp. you need to get them all at once, or else they will bully the new comer...

9. Tyrek

Tyrek

@ chongkie

Tropheus exert there aggression on each other largely ignoring the Mbuna.

Mbuna on the other hand do not totally ignore the Tropheus but with a big enough tank maybe you can pull it of.

10. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

Howzit!

That would be my main concern, it is far easier to buy a large group of small Tropheus and let them grow out together than to add to the group later. There are enough pitfalls you can hit keeping Tropheus so it helps to get a good start by ensuring you source as large as a group of healthy juveniles as possible. 12 is often suggested as a minimum number for an adult group, so you'd want to start with 20 juveniles and later remove excess males. Get the Mbuna out of the way first then get your Trophs in all at once, rather safe than sorry.

11. OP
    Chongkie

Chongkie

Thanks guys for the info. Will have to save up for a lekker group.

12. Tyrek

Tyrek

[QUOTEhongkie;269900]Thanks guys for the info. Will have to save up for a lekker group.[/QUOTE]

If you Interested I have two variants that breeds quite regularly now duboisi and tropheus sp red ( lupota) will be probably getting some ikola kasier frys soon as well. Pop me a pm when you ready.

Recent Posts