Tips and tricks for first DIY build needed

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Minerva10210, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Minerva10210

Minerva10210

Hi Guys

So I've watched a video or two on boobtoob regarding DIY building, but would appreciate any other tips and tricks of the local experts too please!

I have had tempered glass made for me, but the dude messed up on the two side panes' sizing, so waiting with bated breath for those to arrive. I have settled on 850x450x450, so just shy of a 3ft-er, but going for the 450 deep vs 300 deep kit tanks.

I did notice that the edging was done quite a way into the edges, would say that the leading edge of the glass is now only approx 3mm. Is this an issue? Also, would it be an idea to use spacers to lay the glass on like the video posted here?

Cheers!

2. Guest

3. Toy

Toy

This should not be an issue if you going to add an inner +- 1 cm silicone layer (old credit card with 45 deg cut on corner trick xD), but of you're opting for the lean (finger spread) silicone layer you may run into some issue if the glass panels are under stress.

You can always add some aluminium angle strips to strengthen the tank and guard against accidental corner chips/bumps.

The spacers are used to ensure that the silicone remains between the glass panels, without the spacers the weight of the glass will force most of the silicone out - resulting in an inferior glass-on-glass bond.

It is also a good idea to do any hole drilling for sumps and overflows before you start to silicone the tank.

4. Blade

Blade

I use the direct silicone injection method which gives 1.5mm between 2 glass contact surfaces with the aid of small cable ties. One must just compensate for 2 x cable ties on end panels height and width. I only use den Braven aquasol silicone as its tensile strenght is 3 x that of bostik marine. Rather pay a few rands extra and you know your safe. Silicone has a curing rate of 2mm over a 24hr period so if your head is 10mm I would let cure for at least 5 to 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Toy likes this.
  5. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Yeah, please don't try to drill tempered glass.

6. OP
    Minerva10210

Minerva10210

Yay, glass arrived in the week, so building can commence at last.

One more Q: How much silicone do you guys reckon I may need? Will a toothpaste sized tube be enough, or would I need to get one of the guns with the big cylindrical tubes?

[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

7. Whoknows

Whoknows

You'll need at least half of the 300 ml tube I'd say or 2 x toothpaste tubes

8. Whoknows

Whoknows

Do you mean you need to make the hight and width the size of 2 cable ties shorter?

9. OP
    Minerva10210

Minerva10210

Thanks guys.

Will post pics over the weekend of the progress :thumbup:

Whoknows and necris like this.
  10. OP
    Minerva10210

Minerva10210

So that did not go as planned.

I put the assembled tank outside on its foam base on a concrete bench to fill it and check for leaks... The base broke

2 days work, and about a grand down the drain.

Where can I buy a pre-built custom sized tank, for delivery in Centurion or Midrand?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

11. Whoknows

Whoknows

That sucks sorry :( dorry pets in Centurion build tanks any size you want. Its mostly marine fish but a tank is a tank. Not sure if they deliver though think you'll have to collect it

12. Toy

Toy

Those benches are very seldom level, best to check your testing area with a water level before filling up the tank.

Better luck next time xD

13. OP
    Minerva10210

Minerva10210

Hey guys, any other places that might be able to assist in repairs to my current DIY job, or where I can order a custom tank - in the greater gauteng area?
    I did contact Dorry in Centurion, but they apparently have a 2-3week lead time. So just wondering if there might be someone who can help a bit quicker.

Recent Posts