Tilapia

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by RobK, May 13, 2018.

1. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thanks guys...
    My ammonia test colour goes 0 to 0.25 then 0.25 to 0.5 so on so on ... so it's is a low as my test can predict. I am going to take a sample to the lfs to get tested and see.
    Nitrates are a bit high ( messy fish and slightly over stocked) but all other fish are health and eating well for now... nitrates also never seem to exceed 50 ppm even if I skip a water change. I have been looking at ideas to reduce them naturally though.
    I looked at the fin fractures it's similar but I don't think it's that? Just because it dissappear and re-appears, I will still keep it in mind

2. Guest

3. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Does look like a fracture on the rays. It makes this white fluff but should go away in a few days. I think the water quality isn't helping him recover. If there's any ammonia present the bio on that tank isn't enough. These fish are as hard as bricks so won't show you there's a problem till it needs to heal from something. I would add some more ceramics to the sump and dose bacteria like stability, that would make the filter pick up the pace. You can double dose prime if you have while you do this, it locks up the ammonia and other bad stuff for about 24 hours per dose. If you don't correct this they will all go down hill slowly.

Your nitrates are climbing because there might be dirt trapped somewhere in the tank or sump. 1.2 tons of water shouldn't climb that fast so check for that also. Naturally rain flushes away or dilutes nitrate so water changes are your only go to at this point and it will be all natural so to speak.

4. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Does carbon dosing work in fresh water (vinigar sugar and vodka) basically nopox

5. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes it does but other bacteria likes it too.

6. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

So it has the same advantage as in an marine enviroment just no skimmer

7. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes the carbon and sugar feeds the bacteria but it feeds all the bacteria not just the good ones.

8. OP
    RobK

RobK

Ok , so did some more tests . I think the nitrates are actually closer to 25 mg/l than 50 but it's a bit hard to judge:confused:. Ammonia is still 0 to 0.25 mg/l.Took some pics for you guys to see. Red is nitrates and yellow is ammonia 20180517_191016.jpg 20180517_191115.jpg

9. OP
    RobK

RobK

Ok so I did a 50% water change , clean and vac plus cleaned out the sump... no noticeable debris other than the expected sump smelled like a sump earthy type smell, did my tests again and still high nitrates, tested the tap water 0 nitrates. So I'm confused what would give me high nitrates? Or is my test giving me a false reading. Also tested my treated water for ammonia and it gave the same result as the tank prior to water change so I assume the reading I'm getting is 0

10. OP
    RobK

RobK

Also forgot to mention I have two Chinese algea eaters 3 guppies and 1 skunk loach all of which seem happy and healthy. The sick fish looks like it may have been a fin injury after all... thanks TankMaster for that.

TankMaster likes this.
  11. f-fish

f-fish unspecified

Are you adding any bacteria into the tank, either on WC or as a top-up?
    1024px-Nitrogen_cycle.jpg

Since the tank has very little in the way of plants ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_cycle

Maybe your tank is the ideal candidate for an algae scrubber?

Later Ferdie

mattie likes this.
  12. OP
    RobK

RobK

@f-fish have 13 swords, 5 java ferns, 5 medium Anubias, 2 of these (see pic 1), about 50 floating lettuce, and a couple smaller plants crypts etc. Not sure where this lands on the planted scale but any quick growing plants land up as food:mad:.

I was also thinking on the lines of adding an algea scrubber and an anaerobic (can't remember if this is the right one) scrubber.

1527009116225-1958483312.jpg

1527009160331360775313.jpg

13. f-fish

f-fish unspecified

Think your saving grace is 50 floating lettuce .. but that covers the water surface so less light for the others to get on with it. Give the scrubber a go, nothing to loose.

Crypts and swords more root feeders ... you need quick action in the water column.

Later Ferdie

14. OP
    RobK

RobK

@f-fish I guess this is what you consider heavily planted;)J9m8XPMSX4NGJQx3gY99i8_zefzuEq8jqyIClhfQPzDpc6xWN9HpA4SGw55qEIN9EqzScJu9GsZ6nE6PXA=w2200-h640-no.jpg

15. f-fish

f-fish unspecified

Well actually - those are mostly slow growers - but yes :thumbup:

Recent Posts