The fishy room.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bart, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow @Bart, sounds like you have been pretty busy and very successful yourself so far

Well done!!

Yes... lets see some pictures!!

2. Guest

3. OP
    Bart

Bart

It has been a while. Therefore, I have a few changes and some new updated. My leleupis has found new homes and only have my one male and one female left but they are being kept separate at this stage. My shrimps exploded I have two, 4 -foots (1 with my neon’s and one just shrimp) and one, 3-foot with my BN and my starting colony of shrimps. Juts love to watch them. The one project I worked on was to breed Danios and it worked superb, also very easy, they are in a 4-foot with apples snails and 3 small brichardi for now. They work nicely together for the time being. The other 4 foot has a pair of jewels in and they have spawned a few times but end up eating the egg, I know the will get it right. The convict are in a 4-foot also and have about 10 adults in there. I also have about 60 fry in a 1.8-meter tank. Then I have an experiment running with 2-dwarf gourami in a tub exposed to the elements in shade:rolleyes:. To see if they will breed. They have bred twice now. Seems the issue comes down to the tub being a but small (150 liters) I have a 500 tub that will be running and cycled next week then I will add some more females to the one male and see how It will work. The other tub I am looking to see what I will put in (thinking about minnows something in that line):confused: the other 500-liter tub has fancy guppies in them with normal strains also in there. Looking to see what will be coming out of there, all my tubs do have water plant and the one have a huge amazon sword that has just started to produce a few new plants. Will be nice to have one tub full of just have amazon swards. That being said winter is coming, eventually. I have storage tanks that will be moved to the fishy room for all the tubs. The discus pair is doing awesome, still spawn on a regular bases but each time they are doing better, let us hope soon they will have small fry around them. With then I have some neon’s, some angles, and the corrys of course in my main 1.8 in the house. I will update in pics in due time.:cool:

MariaS and A new day like this.
  4. A new day

A new day

Sho lots of interesting stuff going on! Would love to see some update pics!

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow... that's absolutely awesome
    You have surely dived in all the way
    Look forward to the pictures!

6. OP
    Bart

Bart

Will take better close-ups today and load tomorrow. Also I see i will have to clean the Glass :lol:IMG_20191130_194350.jpg IMG_20191130_194409.jpg IMG_20191130_194416.jpg IMG_20191130_194434.jpg IMG_20191130_195224.jpg IMG_20191130_195245.jpg

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  7. OP
    Bart

Bart

The experiment worked.

Today I saw a few dwarf gourami fry, very surprised that I worked in the first few spawns. Looking forward to moving the adults to bigger tanks and see what will happen with more females involved.

A new day likes this.
  8. OP
    Bart

Bart

just a few pis and a lot of grass :rolleyes:IMG_20191203_083715.jpg IMG_20191203_083745.jpg IMG_20191203_083753.jpg IMG_20191203_083848.jpg IMG_20191203_083914.jpg

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  9. OP
    Bart

Bart

Some pics of the amazon with its flowers in the tub and trying the sweet potato trick now for the 1st timeIMG_20191203_083317.jpg IMG_20191203_083339.jpg IMG_20191203_083345.jpg IMG_20191203_083634.jpg

mattie, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  10. A new day

A new day

Oh that’s exciting!!

11. OP
    Bart

Bart

Updating time.

Yesterday I had to stop my Dwarf Gourami project due to my male that died, the water and everything testes 100%. Life happens. I drained the tub and found 10-baby gourami and the female all very healthy and growing nicely. I moved then to my Danios tank to grow out. Will attach some pics. I also set up another two, 500-liter tubs. In addition, they are all cycled now with plants. I took some of my guppies and put then into the tubs keep the water insects like misquotes larva at bay for now. Still thinking of what I want to put in there, as winter is not too far I do not want to start something to breed and then to remove them. One idea is to make it a convict tub as I have two big batches all at 5cm to 7 cm and would be interesting to see how they do and how fast they grow in 2-3 months’ time in a tub. The one issue that I have is pond snails. They are a pest at this time in my tubs. I am busy culling them but it take forever. Therefore, I bred apple snails a while back for my fry tanks and I have a lot now (they breed like rabbits) but I am controlling the population. The one idea I also tested is introducing them to the tub with the guppies to eat the snail eggs of the pond snails, as I can see for now it seems to be working as I do net get small snails any more. The nice thing about it is that the apple snails are growing super-fast and when they lay eggs on the plants above the water, the small black ants start to eat the eggs and so they fall back into the water for the guppies to eat to ants, so that seems to be the win-win for now.

A few small project that I am starting soon is breeding some danios again to fill my one 4 foot with. I also made Blackwater to breed my neon tetras in a very dark corner so looking forward to that. My angles are starting to gain size by the second and they are putting some life back into my discus tank. The one I am most looking forward is to involve shrimp in my breeding setups. I did read that they would only eat the fungus off the eggs. That will also be superb to increase the yields of the breeding setups. Then the shrimp. Man do they breed … I have about 200 if I must guess and in 3 tanks. So they are set to assist me in the breeding setups soon.

Cale24 and A new day like this.
  12. OP
    Bart

Bart

IMG_20200109_103634.jpg

A new day likes this.
  13. OP
    Bart

Bart

The thing about fish is change and maintenance; it keeps things going and alive. After a while, everything dulls down if you do not keep going. In more than a years’ time I bought many second hand tanks for my fish room, and it diversify into many species tanks very quick, and did a lot of research into a lot of thing and ways of breeding. I bred sailfin mollies, a few differed cory species, neons (only a few lol), leleupi, BN, convicts, guppies, dwarf gourami’s (in two differed ways), zebra danios, a moers lot of red cherry shrimp( close to 200 I think) and almost had success with discus and busy with angles now. All the fish I bred, most were given to new homes free and some sold to cover the food cost only. The thing about fish is every time I see a new batch it amazes me the entire process especially the corys. I bought a new tank for the home and moved my old tank out, so I had to remove my fish and rehome them in some tanks for a while, the corys always loves a good move and the 15 of them spawned like crazy, I removed them as the new home were done and now I am a few corys richer. Also when removing my sterbai corys I saw a few sterbai babies (from the same tank). Even today, the female were busy depositing her eggs on the plant in their new home again.

This year for me I would like to move on to fish that are more difficult and get my discus to breed and raise their own fry, move on to my angels and see what else there is for me and then expand my shrimp collection.

I am standing on 12 full fish tanks with fish in them. Sizes form 1.5 foot to 6 foot. Then I have three, 2foots empty, 1 3-foot empty and a 6ft empty for future expansion.

This was just an update on the progress that has been made. In addition, what is to come.

The new tank pics to follow

IMG_20200218_203208.jpg IMG_20200219_175620.jpg IMG_20200222_180852.jpgThe tank has been cycled and all corys introduced, will add more fish in the coming weeks. As i am looking to build a sump also.

T. Guppy, Cale24, MariaS and 3 others like this.
  14. A new day

A new day

Oooh lots of activity and lots of exciting new prospects :thumbup:

15. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow @Bart,

You and the fishy family have been busy!!

Looking good
    Nice tank, looking forward to the updates and all the best with all the new projects

16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Bart,

Good luck with the new tank
    Will be following to see how it progresses.

17. OP
    Bart

Bart

Just a pic with the some of the plants in, and the sterbai spawned and had to remove the eggs as the corys just love to eats the eggs. IMG_20200226_101520.jpg

T. Guppy, A new day and MariaS like this.
  18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Bart

Looks good.
    If it was me, I would add another tall piece of wood on the left behind that round stone.
    Just my opinion, but I think that would balance it out nicely.

A new day likes this.
  19. OP
    Bart

Bart

@Reedfish

I fully agree with you, there will be more wood and plants in the tank. I decide to buy a new canister for the tank and it is just cycling on one of my other big tanks for now then once installed all the plants and wood will be back.

MariaS likes this.
  20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Oh, ok.
    Will be following to see how it develops.

21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looks very nice @Bart

Its a nice big tank so the extra wood will look stunning

Recent Posts