The fishy room.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bart, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BradK

BradK

Thanks for the info. I still dnt know how u guys know when these fish breed..it amazes me how easy it sounds.

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow @Bart

This is amazing success... lie Christmas for the kids!!!

Really well done, congratulations and all the best, you going to have your hands full raising all the babies but its just so exciting

Cant wait for those pictures!!

4. OP
    Bart

Bart

@BradK it is not always as easy as it sounds. To get the parameters just right takes a while.The you need a fertile male... so my noens bred and the male does not look to be fertile. None of the eggs hatchet, and i found an Article where they said that some males are infertile due to the way they are bred commercially with hormones being added and so on.

Therefore, I will try again and will try to with a different male and female to see if I can get the same results. So tonight, I will add them to the breeding tank and hope for the best as the parameters are still the same.

So that was n bummer but would love to get a few and then the males will be fertile from the batch and i can get females and spawn them with more success. Will keep you updated if it works.

5. OP
    Bart

Bart

The picsIMG_20190602_194650.jpg IMG_20190602_194808.jpg IMG_20190602_194817.jpg IMG_20190602_194745.jpg IMG_20190602_194754.jpg IMG_20190602_194714.jpg IMG_20190602_194723.jpg IMG_20190602_194709.jpg IMG_20190602_194849.jpg IMG_20190602_194655.jpg IMG_20190601_081619.jpg IMG_20190602_194700.jpg IMG_20190602_194835.jpg

Ashen, A new day and David Kusner like this.
  6. David Kusner

David Kusner

@Bart I saw pic of a bristle nose did you have any success with breeding them yet?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

7. OP
    Bart

Bart

@David Kusner yes i had. The last pic you can see e some babies. I have about 30 plus i think. The male is in his cave again protecting some eggs. IMG_20190607_104232.jpg

8. OP
    Bart

Bart

And one of the females. Also some more random pics. IMG_20190607_104122.jpg IMG_20190607_104301.jpg IMG_20190607_104426.jpg IMG_20190607_104605.jpg

9. OP
    Bart

Bart

So today was and interesting day. I added my neon’s to the breeding tank again last night. I changed things up a bit. I added one female with 2 males to see if it would work. The group I am using consists of eight neon’s. This morning when the lights went on the breeding started. The males were chasing each other around like mad, I wanted to remove one and then I saw that when the female goes over the mop both joins her and then the eggs are released. Therefore, I decided to leave them in for the reason to have more changes of fertilization and toe keep each other busy as the eggs drop. I saw a few eggs drops a few times safely in the moss or the mop. I removed them after the female were not interested anymore and after they start looking for food, I then closed the tank off from any light because I read that that can have an impacted on the fry survival raid. I was lucky enough to get two pics. The small white dots are a few eggs if you look very close. The other interesting thing is a bought two 4 ft. tanks… again… so I will get them tomorrow, it was a deal of a lifetime.

MariaS likes this.
  10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Sounds promising @Bart ,

Keeping fingers crossed for you, good luck

11. OP
    Bart

Bart

IMG_20190609_081255.jpg IMG_20190609_081250.jpg IMG_20190609_081248.jpg

Ashen likes this.
  12. OP
    Bart

Bart

Finally. I have neon fry.:tt2::thumbup::D:p

A new day, BradK and Cale24 like this.
  13. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Congratulations

14. AmithS

AmithS

Wow, awesome news

15. Chandz

Chandz

Wow! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Very nice.
    Well done :thumbup:

17. OP
    Bart

Bart

It has been a while.

I have been extremely busy for a while now and lost some of the interest with the fish room. As all thing will happen. Instead of downsizing I a bit over board. I got and awesome deal on 2 x 4foot tanks with stand and I just took them in. I set them up and the one has fish in the other one will be the new home for the leleupi (I can no longer call them fry because they are almost the size of the female). The other one is just for the fish the I took out of my main tank in the house. The leleupi tank will be completely redone and will maybe become a 4-foot shrimp tank… still looking into it. Also yes, I have shrimp now, I bought 10 cherry shrimp about 2 months ago and he are picking and reproducing nicely in a deep-planted tank. IMG_20190711_160154.jpg They are expanding and would like to have a tank in place for the colors not desired. I shut down my Corry breeding project after I had about 60 plus corys and gave a lot away. I moved some of them and some sterbai Corys to my main tank with my discus (just love the corys and breeding them). I selected two pairs of convicts to pair off again and have a bunch of babies again. Want to make a nice convict tank as a display in my fish room, so they are using 3 tanks as we speak. The leleupi parents seem to be ready for the next batch but only time will tell. I shut down my one 1.6 meter tank, as I need to change it up a bit, thinking of making it into two tanks. Then the BN, I just love them.IMG_20190711_155831.jpg IMG_20190711_160010.jpg My one male is always on eggs and they are growing like crazy. I have 3 batches now in one tank and will move them out soon as they are getting too big. Then the Neon s, I managed to get a few fry up and then I lost all of them due to a faulty hitter so that is what caused me to just stand a bit back and reevaluate the Fish room. The awesome thing is I think I have the breeding under control as they are spawning in my tank every morning. Once I have, the fishy room the way I want it again I will condition the males separated form the females and try again. I only have a few pics but hope you enjoy.

It is nice to be active again on the forum. Also did some DIY on my main fish tank.

Ashen likes this.
  18. OP
    Bart

Bart

The DIY and some shrimps. IMG_20190709_143202.jpg IMG_20190615_143527.jpg

Ashen, Cale24 and A new day like this.
  19. OP
    Bart

Bart

During the week, I got a tank from a friend a 3 foot as he moved. Therefore, I am looking into have 2 shrimp tanks one for the less red once and one for a pure strain.IMG_20190801_162200_resized_20190804_022036745.jpg As I have started with 10 and now have about 40 with six females holding eggs that I could see. Therefore, shrimp breed like rabbits and I am looking closely after the water parameters. The Leleupi are still in breeding behavior as it looks like they have egg or will in the next month. The fry I have are now almost at selling stage as they are 6 months old now. The neon’s will be moved and separated so that I can have a look and start breeding them again, also going to move all my baby BN that I have, looks like 50+ that I counted today. Regarding my sailfin mollies I am really struggling with them and I have determine that the bloodline I have has been inbred from the LFS, in Rustenburg we only have two LFS and both got there molies from the same supplier, I now thinking of just keeping them with my convicts until I have none left and start a fresh with a new bloodline that I get or will introduce the new blood line, on the other hand I want to start with guppy’s as I love the colors of them, but time will tell. The biggest development.
    IMG_20190801_171542_resized_20190804_022035674.jpg
    Yes, those are discus eggs and yes, they ate all the eggs after laying them. However, I am please as I got them to breed. Now the only thing will be to give the time and practice then I hope I do not have 2 females as I can happen, but if all goes well someday I will have baby discus if that will happen we shall see.

20. OP
    Bart

Bart

May I just start to say it has been a while…

Even though I did not post, I always checked what was going on, on the Forum. Some awesome success were had especially on the ray’s side of life.

The fishy room what to say, what to say.

Well as all of us know, life takes a lot after a while. One gets smarter, better in what you do, and how you do it. You refine and if it means to remove, certain components that does not work you do it to improve efficiency.

Therefore, that is what happened; I have seven empty tank now. Full with water and cycled but now fish, the reason is that I in the process of expanding my breeding program. My sold all my convicts except for two pairs, my only have 2 Leleupi left and will be looking to sell them also. My BN is going strong but I need to improve the raising of the baby’s as I am just leaving them in the tank with the parents and the other fish. I have about 150 baby convict (from the two pairs) that will be moved to a new 1.6 meter grow out tank. The baby BN shall be moved to a separate tank with a nice window view and the breeding pair to a new tank just next to them. The shrimp I got back in June just took off. I have about a 100 now and still going strong; I started to move them to a new tank and will split those 50-50 between two tanks. If something happens, I will to colonies. I also got myself some zebra fish and bred a few just to see how I goes; I have some fry but know where to improve on next to get more. As I have tanks now for male and female zebras, also I have cardinal tetra that will be the next breeding project to happen once they have reached a nice size and will be split into male and female. The discus are close to breeding hopefully soon. The corys are doing great and I will bred then hopefully next week, the bronze and sterbai cory. The plants are just booming at this moment without any algae issues, I am still no using first but as using some potting soil in some tanks with pots, my main tank only get light and food from the fishes for the plants also some natural sun light helps a lot. Then the 200 + apple snails. I started with 10 for a friend puffer but now I have a hell of a lot. Only in one tank. I also want them when I start full scale breeding tetras and the zebras. I want a school of fish in my main tank and how awesome will 100 tetras be in a planted tank. Therefore, that is what I am up to and what I am doing for the next few months for now.

Then the tubs. I have a 500l liter for fancy guppy’s and getting two more. The two will be used for a project that I am still keeping under wraps but will be interesting to see if it works.

Cale24, MariaS and A new day like this.
  21. A new day

A new day

Wow you’re busy! Would love to see some pics please!

Recent Posts