The 30cm Cube

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by pierreschoonraad, Sep 28, 2019.

1. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I have had this aquarium for some years now and it has gone through a lot of changes and various fishes, most of them decided to jump to freedom. This has been sorted with a glass top on it and Odin, my female Betta, name were given before I knew her sex, is the Queen of death for the poor shrimps.

The previous scape was done more than 2 years ago. My fingers started itching when I saw the hardscapes that Aquaman nature studios did. It's just mind blowing. Being a fan of Avatar I always dreamed about doing a scape, with some referance to the movie which doesn't include drifting mountains.

Using only low tech plants, not using any CO2, and only having Langa substrate in the aquarium I decided on using mostly Fissidense then some Buce and a bit of moss here and there.

So last weekend I started building the hardscape on saterday. I soon realized that dragon stone doesn't stick that good when wet. Baking rocks in the oven is only ever allowed when your wife isn't home. By this time my super glue was depleted. Out comes the glue gun, yes it's safe for fish. Took me a few hours to get the dry rocks stuck together. Ripped out everything in the aquarium and transfered the plants to the new scape and put it in the aquarium. Awesome!

Not awesome the next morning. Glue guns also suck at glueing rocks together, espesially when fighting gravity under water. Complete collaps of hardscape.

Plan B. Get more gell super glue and try again, over a few days, with dry rocks that I had extra. Over 4 days I glued and clamped rocks until I was happy with it. Removed the previous attempt and transfered the plants again. Scape has only been running for two days now and a lot of white glue spots vissible, but they will be covered soon.

Now for the best part, the photo's. Insperation. Old scape. Hot glue crap. The final scape. Going to removecthe crypts on the right and move it to another aquarium. My 'style' is way more rugged than the insperation but it works for me as all the different angles gives it a weard, pleasing look to it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

Reedfish, MariaS, T. Guppy and 2 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. Cale24

Cale24

Really cool final result - on its way to bettering the inspiration.

On a side topic, seen a few tanks with marimo balls split up and used as a moss or carpet effect like the reference - can look awesome but they seem hard to find in SA :/ I bought a couple smaller ones and they were not cheap.
    Anyway, that tank has set off on the right foot and I look forward to seeing it develop :cool:

A new day likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day

@pierreschoonraad it looks really cool already! Looking forward to seeing it grow in. Very avant garde.
    Was also an entertaining read eg “baking stones in the oven is only allowed when your wife’s not at home” :lol:

T. Guppy likes this.
  5. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Thanks guys. Will see how this on grows in. Already have plans with the stones of the first try. Now just to get another tank running.

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  6. OP
    pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Update time again.

My female betta Odin passed last week, due to prolapsed intestines. Was heart breaking to see her wither while trying to help her. It doesn't help to try medicated food if she wasn't eating. Luckely my 2nd choice female betta was still at my lfs and I just had to get her for the Avatar cube.

I was able to break the rock structure once again. At least this time it only happened on 2 places so they are held together with good balancing and luck at the moment. Will get glued together as soon as I get hold of some gel super glue.

Plants were added over the last week. Behind the rocks at the top right, not vissible yet, I attatched some Hygrohila pinnatifida. Defnitly my favourit plant at the moment. Where do you els get a stem plant that can be grown from cuttings and attatches to wood/rocks like an epivite plant. Added one to the shellie tank which is also doing awesome. I removed most of the moss, excep the piece at the bottom right, and replaced it with Ricardia chamedryfolia, awesome bright green color. In the substrate I planted Marsilea hirsute on the left front, which is still in the prosess of transition, and some hc on the right bottom. Now being a low tech tank, I will have to see how they do. At least the new shoots on the Marsilea is growing quite low. I have increased my lighting period with a hour and lowered it above the aquarium. Only time will tell if they grow as I would want them to do. Also started dosing Flourish, 1ml, and Iron, 0.5ml, about every second day. I know that it's complete overdose but the plants love it and algae is only visible on the rocks right at the top.

I added 3 Amano shrimpto take care of any algae issues I might run into. Yesterday I decided it will be a good idea to add 2 rcs to the cube. Freya proofed that all Nors gods have a tendincy to kill. The one poor shrimp didn't even reach the substrate before he became a snack for her. Havn't seen the other one again. I will also hide after such a stressfull welcome to the cube.

I'm dreaming big with the cube and hope that it will look as planned by next years IAPLC entry time. If you don't try you will never know.[​IMG]

7. A new day

A new day

Looks great, very dramatic and the perfect swim through!
    Sounds like there’s something going on with the betas at the moment, sorry for your loss...
    Funnily enough I also got hygrophilia pin on Friday. Excited to see what it does.

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

That cube looks amazing @pierreschoonraad
    Wow... what can be achieved in such a small tank... love it

Recent Posts