Tank Smell

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DrNeoCortex, Dec 28, 2018.

1. DrNeoCortex

DrNeoCortex

Just wanted to know, what should fish tank smell like once it's established? I get an earthy smell, that's non offensive and wanted to know if that's alright

2. Guest

3. Mister MP

Mister MP

Hi @DrNeoCortex.
    I have also wondered once in my life how an established tank should smell like when I first started with fish. I have noticed if a tank is fully cycled and totally established, it will have an earthy smell. That is totally normal.
    In my experience, I will say that your tank is established.
    If you have a planted tank with fish or no fish, it will also smell like that.
    Do you have plants in there? If so... that tank could also be established. Hope this helps you!

DrNeoCortex likes this.
  4. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Honestly, I'm not one to gauge if a tank is cycled by smell alone - one should use test kits for that. The only time I'd judge a tank by smell is if it smells off in any way, in which case I would immediately think something is wrong!

DrNeoCortex and MariaS like this.
  5. OP
    DrNeoCortex

DrNeoCortex

Sorry let me rephrase it better, I know the tank is cycled I just wanted to know if fish tanks in general have a distinct odour to them. I mean you can only smell it upon going right up to the tank.

6. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I dont know about heavily planted tanks but my tank has no smell but I dont have live plants at this stage

DrNeoCortex likes this.
  7. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Wet grass / earth .... esp after a wc - if you get a fishy smell during a wc you left it too long.

This is made harder when the tank does not have enough ventilation or a cover and you start smelling the mold or other bits that seem to be dying in the cover.

It must be a slight faint hmmm wet grass smell - if it is heavy like when you rinse an open cell sponge then time for that WC for sure.

Pick a time of the day that is not directly after feeding time - all depends what you feed them.

Above is for planted tanks with a low to medium bio-load. I am almost sure a correlation can be drawn between TDS, DOC and tank smells - if only we had the snout of a blood hound.

Later Ferdie

DrNeoCortex and MariaS like this.

Recent Posts