Tank for growing plants.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Swerwer, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Swerwer

Swerwer

I am thinking of putting up a 1m tank just for growing plant. So that i will have plants for the other tanks when i need plants. The plants will be in small pods.

What setup do you need for this. It will be a growing tank for plants.

2. Guest

3. iMG

iMG

Do you intend to keep all the plants in the pots as you'd buy them from the store or pot them yourself? Will you be adding any livestock to this tank?

4. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

From the stor and will pot some my self from cuttings. Will be potting them the sameway as the ones in the stors. Nou fish may be shrimps nothing els.

5. iMG

iMG

Is there a specific reason you're keeping them in pots?

You need to remember that certain plants are root feeders and some are water column feeders, so you'll have to dose fert, especially with no livestock providing food for the plants, and you'll have to put root tabs in the rockwool when potting your own root feeding plants like Amazon swords as an example.

A new day likes this.
  6. A new day

A new day

Yep. I’d probably take them out of the pots (unless they are to be used pretty soon).
    Also, without fish poop to provide nitrates etc you’ll have to dose macro nutrients (NPK) and not only trace elements.

7. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

I was tinking to keep them the way they are and just take them out of the pots when I want to plant them in the other tanks. Will work out a feeding program for the plants. We run feeding programs for plant in ourgreehouses as well. I was thinking of putting up a long turm thing so later on when i have my new big tank I will have plants for it. To get plants from shops all the time is not going to word for the amount of plants i wil need. Thinking of the 1 meter tank first for plants and later on my old 6 feet tank as well. I can my be grow them outside in the greenhouses but then I will have to move them back to water again but I don't realy want to go that way. There is a lot of things you need to check befor you can put them in a tank with fish if you grow them out side.

8. iMG

iMG

While it certainly would be possible to keep them in the pots and run the tank like that, i know you'll have far better growth and better plants to transplant into your new tank if you do a DIY substrate mix (won't need root tabs) instead and actually plant them. I'd also add some livestock and save a little in the long term with macro nutrients.

9. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

Thanks for the info but think I wil keep the the 2 60cm planted tanks i have. And rather go back to breading fish the old way with big stones and wood. Will rather get a new tank for the R1000 they ask for the 8 liter bag of soil.

10. A new day

A new day

Pool filter sand (well washed) should do fine as substrate. Some plants might need root tabs in pfs.
    Better than keeping them in their pots, and cheap.

11. iMG

iMG

Even that will allow for better growth in most circumstances

A new day likes this.
  12. A new day

A new day

Obviously we’re not saying epiphytes should be planted in substrate

13. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

Well the small balloon mollies and the small swortails have the 6 foot tank now. I have put now 18 small balloon mollies in there and 4 small swortails. Will have a look at the old 60cm tank. Thanks for the info. But the new 8 or 9 feet tank will not happen any more only the 3 tanks with fish and the one 60cm with petshop plants. Will see how it go.

A new day likes this.
  14. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

And 5 more small swortails. Time to make some fish food again for the small fish.

15. Gamma

Gamma

What kind of plants you aiming for?

Currently I propagate my extra plants in plastic tubs while keeping them emerged and just mist them every 2-3 days while keeping them under some low-medium light. Works amazing for Anubias, Cryps and Buce. Also due to it being out of water the growth is significantly faster.

Can do it for root feeders and coloum feeders, just need to get a few rockwool cubes and netpots from most hydroponic shops.

A new day and iMG like this.
  16. WernerP

WernerP

I have a 3 foot specifically for that reason. It's dirted with a pool filter sand cap. I keep it outside. It gets morning sun and all I run is an air stone. I dose the tank with ferts. I prefer submerged, so the plants transfer better. I get amazing growth.

A new day likes this.
  17. OP
    Swerwer

Swerwer

Well i have just put my order in for 3 breading pairs of fish. So no more planted tanks the plant will not make it with the fish. Going back to breeding fish again old habits die hard. Will look again at planted tank on a later time. Time to start the 2 small ponds as well in the greenhouses again will need them for the small fish.

Recent Posts