some advise needed (planted)

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by woestynbaber, Jan 9, 2016.

1. woestynbaber

woestynbaber

hey planted gurus i am in need of some advise in regards with a newly setup 5FT

specs.
    1.5mx500mmHx600mmW ~450L
    2x 54w t5's 10000k
    1x 48w t8 white(some pink packaged chinese bulb, slightly more blue than the t5's) in the centre.
    substrate white course gravel one side black fine gravel other side.
    side sump built in.5 x turnover

plant stock atm.
    amazon swords the hard leave one lol
    java moss
    vallis giga
    azola caroliniana
    bacopa monnieri

Plant stock to add
    hygrophilia difformis
    anuibius barteri

My noob questions
    1. liquid ferts? are they enough plus the random root tab now and then. (no nutrient rich substrate)had some sera plant nutriens so it wen in, enough for 500l
    2. is the lighting sufficient
    3.my ph is 7.6-8 how should the plants fare.
    4. co2 flourish excel, will it be ample?

Fish to go in
    3 pea puffers
    4 angels
    4 bronze or panda corys
    l200 pleco (if i find one)
    and some rummy noses or neons. and red eye tetras.
    and some smallish oddball.

input would be greatly appreciated and updates should be regular to document possible growth and so on.

thank you in advance:)

pics to follow.

2. Guest

3. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

DSC_0447.jpgDSC_0448.jpgDSC_0449.jpg bacopa is in a state i know

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Sjoe not a guru but will share some thoughts.

Consider the entire tank ... maybe the question should be more about the fish first then the tank gets planted according to that fish.

3 pea puffers
    4 angels
    4 bronze or panda cories

All of the above can be tricky - so I would say start by researching what each fish in your tank needs - could be that they are not suited for other tank mates or some other the other are not really plant friendly. Then we look at what plants we can grow under those conditions. You have more time to correct a plant issue in the environment than a fish issue.

Now to your q's. All plant respond well to liquid fertiliser, some plants really do need root fertilization - amazon swords are a good example. Most wisdom on planted tanks be it light, what is needed for fertiliser/ CO2 ph etc are actually for well-planted tanks and this is what got to me when I started. I would do everything in my power buy all the right stuff but would not get the results I expected. Took me a while to realise that my expectation was not aligned to the possibility of what I could achieve in a sparsely planted tank.

So will you tank look like a jungle in the future, sure can but it will take time. Will adding all the stuff reduce the time - maybe or not. You need to find the balance between light / co2 needs / fertiliser for fish health and optimal plant growth.

In your tank today, I would lean towards root tabs - since they will leach into the water column as it is. I will probably not look at CO2 - your Ph is already high and your plant mass is low. Liquid CO2 ... could help but it is also a killer.

As for the lights, it all sounds a bit on the blue side to me - but plants will adapt to most light over time just might not be optimal.

I would say for your tank - give it time and make very small changes and for now, consider the fish at every change.

Later Ferdie

5. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

thank you for the input ferdie, greatly appreciated, as for the fish i have kept all of them in a similar setup just a normal 3ft all but the puffers,(have done research and should be fine) the 3 foot also had the same plants and responded well with the lighting exept for the anubius, i think it was to much maybe and was not in for long so could have adapted.

my main concern is light penetration , is liquid co2 enough and the ferts, i will most sertainlly get my hands on tabs for the long run

I actually have no desire for the tank to become overgrown, just want the plants to do good, and stay alive

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

... Good .. sounds like you have the correct expectations.

"is liquid co2 enough and the ferts" sure is

Try Scape's range (local and affordable) .. they have a complete and liquid fertz. But for you tank I would dose 1/2 of what is on the bottle at the moment.

Later Ferdie

7. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

any idea were i can get scape over the net? i see betterweather is offline

8. Jwh

Jwh

Try jungle aquatics, they have a really good online store

9. RoGe

RoGe

Some nice pieces of wood in there!

Agree with Ferdie, especially that one or two root tabs, together with a liquid carbon source should be more than fine. If you do get algae issues (unlikely), then replacing one of your 10 000K tubes with a 6500K tube may help.

Is that PVC guttering that you're using as reflectors? How are they doing?

10. SterlingAce

SterlingAce

Getting back to the fish, I'm worried the pea puffers might "go missing" in such a large tank and you won't be able to appreciate them. Also that the angels might pick on them and vice versa because of the long fins on the angels. Then , please correct me if I'm wrong, bronze cories and reach a relatively large size and are constantly busy in the substrate so might uproot your plants?

11. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

@RoGe thank you, foun them locally on the farm as for the gutter they work great, also the brackets for bolting on makes them work very nice on a rack sytem.
    @Jwh thanks i had a look last night and my wifi decided otherwise, will check tonight aswell

@ sterlingace thank you for the advice, as for the picking on each other i have read that it can be from puffer to puffer and the fact they can get lost in the tank is actually part of the idea, i want them to be as free roaming as can be hence the small amount of puffers,but troublemakers will be moved out off the tank, angels or puffers. bronze corries i believe to only reach a size of 7cm, will have trouble if i decide to carpet one day but its unlikely.

so the water started to get "milky" last night and today it looks worse, can it be a algae bloom of some sorts?

no livestock yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

after a 200km round trip i got some stock

9 neons
    4 marble angels
    2panda 2 bronze cories
    1 ancistrus
    1 hygrophilia unknownus

al to be housed in std 3ft until 5ft is cycled, wil put some pond guppys in today.

ferts
    sera floreplus
    tetra initial sticks

13. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

sad to say one angel did not make it, also replaced two 10 000k bulbs with older 9000k bulbes

14. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

glad to say i am seeing growth on bacopa, swords but pleco is wrecking the new leaves, and anubius has three new leaves:bigsmile:, the hygrophilia thing i added shot up towords the light and became bushy at the bottom, to me it indicates sufficient light penetration, will post pics tommorow after water change.

Recent Posts