Slayers 6ft tank

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by slayer, Oct 16, 2009.

1. slayer

slayer

Hi guys

My 6ft tank has heen outside for a while now since I had no space in the house for a while. I recently got rid of the furniture in the spare room and now have space to bring the tank indoors.The wife is cool with allowing me to use the spare room, yipee. My concern is the room being carpeted, the wife says I CAN NOT rip the carpet out. So I got to work around that. Tank dimensions is 1800L * 450B * 600H on a metal stand. This tank will house 5 silver dollars.

Should I put somthing under each leg of the stand so the stand does not sit directly on the carpet, don't want any damage to the carpet.
    What is good to use under the stand legs?

I know pics, will post asap.

2. Guest

3. Donny

Donny

Cut square peaces of wood which is 15 to 20 mm thick x 100mm ,,, will leave indents but shouldn't damage carpet.

4. PeeKay

PeeKay

Hi Slayer,

I agree with Donny, you need to put something under the legs so that the metal won't cut into the carpet. It is going to leave deants, there's no ways around that, but as Donny says, at leat the carpet wont be damaged by the metal stand. My stand is going to be on a wooden floor, I found some some plugs for 32x32 tubing that I'll be using, coz it's wooden flooring I'm going to glue some rubber to the plastic plugs. See pic below. The picture is for a threaded plug, but you can buy them un-threaded with no holes, which is what I got. It seals off the tubing quite nicely and the metal wont be standing directly on the carpet.

[​IMG]

Square Tubing Plugs.jpg

5. OP
    slayer

slayer

Thanks guys I was thinking of wood as well, but was not 100% sure. Guess I needed the second opinion.

6. Donny

Donny

I would first check the strength of the plastic feet wouldn't want it cracking.

7. OP
    slayer

slayer

where you bought the plugs, looks like a neater solution.
    Maybe I can go with the plugs and a little piece of timber, will look better.

8. PeeKay

PeeKay

It's a plastic plug that inserts into the square tubing, only about 2mm is exposed to the wall of the tubing, which is the thinckness of my tubing, so it will cap the tubing perfectly with no protruding plastic and no overhangs, I don't think I will have problems with it cracking as it the majority of the plug is inside the tubing with only the walls of the tubing resting on the 2mm sides of the plugs, as there is no protruding parts it works perfectly for me as I'll be building the cabinet flush with the stand all the way to the floor, so the plugs wont get in the way of the wood. I know it is alot of weight that will be on the plugs, but it should be OK. I'm going to my boets place this weekend (my stand is still there) I'll take some pics with the plugs in and post them on Monday. I got the plugs from Gelmar, there is a branch in JHB, they dirt cheap, I paid R10 for 6!

9. Donny

Donny

ok will wait for pics , I always try and have the tanks foot print were the weight will be dispersed. Instead of having 4 small legs rather have 6, and instead of having the legs being 15mm x 15mm try and put a foot on to make it 50 mm x 50 mm

10. OP
    slayer

slayer

my stand has 6 legs and will go with the 50mm * 50mm pine wood under each leg, ordering pallets for the warehouse so I will ask the pallet guy to do me a favour and cut me 6 cubes of pine.

25mm thichness

11. Donny

Donny

That sounds perfect. :) .

12. OP
    slayer

slayer

I'm so dissapointed.

Drained the tank this morning. Went to builders warehouse and bought new polystyrene for the tank. Also got glass cut to redo the bio filter. By the time I got home it started to rain. So the tank is lying outside and I'm unable to do any work on it.

13. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

And TASA is D-E-A-D today... so you can't even spend the day chatting on Tasa. hehe

14. OP
    slayer

slayer

Yes. This weather sucks. Been hopeing the rain would stop since 1:30. It finally stops now and but the damage is already done. Waste of a day.

15. OP
    slayer

slayer

No rain today.

So I managed to wash the tank and bring it inside. Was lazy to redo the bio filter. I cut a number plate and used 5cm cubes under each leg.

Pump : Boyu 1500 lph
    Heater : 2 * 150 wt resun, 1 * 100 wt LifeTech

6ft%20slayers.jpg

16. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

looking very decent dude, nice!

17. OP
    slayer

slayer

Well I put in 4 tetras about 3 hours after I filled the tank. No recycled water from any other tank 100% tap water dechlorinated.

18. OP
    slayer

slayer

News : The tetras are still alive.
    I have a major problem, bought 2 new 3ft to go under the tank(fry growouts). They fit in the bottom as you can see from the pic, thing is there is only 7cm space above the tank. Didn't do my homework before the buy. The canopys don't even fit on. Any ideas

19. Donny

Donny

The tank looks good, but as far as the 3ft grow out tanks i have no ideas, had same problem a couple of years back on a 3 tier stand, landed up cutting the stand inserting 150 sections to give me space.

20. ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

Nice tank the 6ft

On the 2 x 3ft it's either adding in the extra metal to be able to get canopies in there or what I would do is to get the 2 tanks cut down to a height you can use and just re-silicone them.

Adding the metal might create a height problem to clean the 6ft??

21. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

The other option would be to make DIY hoods... but I would second ACE's recommendations and shorten the glass.

Not sure if 7cm would be enough space for you to even do maintenance on the 3ft even if you did make a DIY hood.

Recent Posts