Slade's Space

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by Slade, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Slade

Slade

Hello fishy people, my brief fish history:
    ~25 years ago my dad had a 4ft tank, even with my bad memory I can remember loving it as a 6/7 year old, house was robbed and the robbers smashed the tank on the way out... never had a tank in my house again after that
    ~3 months ago moved into a new place to find an abandoned 25 liter tank with guppies barely surviving, I saved them and they are now healthy
    ~2 months ago can't stop fiddling with my tank and the fish in pursuit to make them always happier
    ~1 month ago my wife was thrilled at my efforts and offered an upgrade, hello 4ft long tank
    ~5 days ago cycling finished and I moved all my guppies to the big tank to give the small one a good cleaning.

Tank: glass 4ft long, 220 liters with plastic hood
    Filter: Tetra EX 1200 canister filter
    2nd Filter: submersible 300 liter filter (just being seeded for 25 liter tank)
    Heaters: 2x 100w set to 25C
    Lights: still being delivered
    Substrate: tan pool filter sand
    Plants: clumps of Java Moss
    Fish: ~20 Fancy Guppies (temporary, will probably move them to the smaller tank)
    Invertebrates: Ramshorn EVERYWHERE (until I get my assassins)

4ft tank left.JPG 4ft tank right.JPG

2. Guest

3. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Hello and welcome. Good luck with the guppies. Score for you for getting the abandon tank and for having a wife that allows you upgrade your tank(s);)

Slade likes this.
  4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @Slade and welcome to the forum

Well done in saving those guppies and awesome that your wife enjoys the hobby too... its great.

The tank looks good so far
    You might consider a back ground, it will hide your pipes
    You can also try move your heater to a corner and conceal it with a tall plant

Slade likes this.
  5. OP
    Slade

Slade

thanks for the tip! it will be nice to hide everything thats unsightly :thumbup: still have a LOT of work to do though, this is just the very beginning :D

MariaS likes this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hahha.. its a lot of work but its enjoyable work
    Takes your mind off the real work and pressures of life..
    I always laugh at my Mom... she is 85..

When we set up the big tanks it was: Oh my God.. are you crazy!!!
    This is so much work.. you cant do this anymore!!
    Now... we cant get her away from the tanks... she says: Oh... this is so relaxing to watch!!

Slade likes this.
  7. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Hi and welcome @Slade . It is no work at all if you can stand back, look at the tank, and feel 100% satisfied with what you see. Just sitting in front of the tank, planning the next changes, not noticing the hours ticking by, forgetting your other chores, that's not work.

As soon as this 4ft is settled the urge for the next one would have already started. Plan in advance. Measure up the house. You never know when you will need those hidden unused spaces.

MariaS and Slade like this.
  8. OP
    Slade

Slade

Update on my tank! Birthday came and went and everyone got the hint! Lights, plants, fish, a good day!

I got two female Pearl Gouramis for my communiy tank and 2 male bettas that my poor mother and sister thought I could add to the tank too... I had to get another 1.5 foot (25l) tank just so that each of them could be housed properly.

I won't even list the plants I got, just a bunch of different ones, all left in their baskets until I feel like neatening up a bit and planting them.

And the light makes a huge difference from the original pictures of the tank!

20190107_205329.jpg 20190107_210818.jpg 20190107_210852.jpg 20190107_210855.jpg

9. BradK

BradK

Very nice Slade....I can't wait to get real plants....
    For the black background, someone suggested I buy black poster board from CNA. I did exactly that. It was R29 . i did a bit of trimming and looks so neat. U might need 2 sheets for yours. Was easier than painting and less of a mess.

Slade likes this.
  10. BradK

BradK

What light are you using. Is it recommended for the plants.

Slade likes this.
  11. OP
    Slade

Slade

I'm getting black canvas back drop (wife's a photographer so I'm using her old backdrop) to drape behind, IF that doesn't work I think the black card is a great temporary plan thank you :D

DIY- 5m LED light strip from Takealot, 6000k temp and 60 LED per meter, very bright and runs relatively cool. By all rights it will be good enough for the plants but I am not expecting them to explode in growth, and also they're all easy low light plants... so we'll see :p

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looking great @Slade, I really like it

Just a thumbs up... dont leave the plants in their baskets with that wool they come in for too long
    If little pieces of food fall there and the fish nibble on it, that wool/sponge is poisonous to them and will kill them

Bottom dwellers that constantly eat off the floor are the quickest at risk but all fish nibble on fallen food etc and if they consume any of that it usually kills them

Slade likes this.
  13. OP
    Slade

Slade

That's enough to convince me! I'm planting them first thing in the morning! Well, after work I suppose but not later than after work

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BradK likes this.
  14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I lost 3 of my big clown loaches about 3 years ago
    We came back late from the LFS and I thought i would just put the plants in and then take the wood out the next day and tie them up
    I saw the loaches foraging around but didnt think they had eaten anything... I had three dead loaches the next morning
    I was heart broken as they were some of my 13/14cm loaches.....

Slade likes this.
  15. BradK

BradK

Learn something new again.....love this forum.

Slade and MariaS like this.
  16. OP
    Slade

Slade

How am I going to sleep now luckily i don't have any bottom feeders yet, just the guppies at risk of nibbling, the pearl gouramis seem to be staying only by the leaves. Good luck my fish!

Ps: a very late sorry for your loss, must have been a real tragedy...

17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks...
    You should be ok for a day or two as they mostly surface feeders although sometimes they also pick up pieces off here and there, but rather be aware of it than take a chance for too long and also for future reference

Slade likes this.
  18. OP
    Slade

Slade

Small update, I managed to plant everything, went rather well except that everything wanted to float I guess there is an air of experience needed to master planting them but all in all I think I did a decent first time.
    [​IMG]

Then, after the very pretty and clear water I finally added the driftwood I was soaking the last few days and overnight I woke to this and I finally know what tannins in my water looks like
    [​IMG]

19. BradK

BradK

Lol......nice. where you got your driftwood from. I think you need to soak it for longer. And I guess it will always create tannins.

Slade likes this.
  20. OP
    Slade

Slade

Creature and Critters in Hillcrest, they have a ton of driftwood in all shapes and sizes. I think it was R70 per kg, and might I say dry wood is quite light

Also the tank is already clearing up with my daily 10% water changes, will still take time but I don't mind

As a side note, my wife's gone off the hook crazy! We nearly bought 28 second hand 1.5ft+ tanks today she wants a lot of bettas, and so I smell a big project coming up in the near future... btw we didn't get the bulk tank purchase, I was stupid and demonstrated just how much space it would take up and it was a big "oh moment" for her

21. BradK

BradK

So you got a lot for the money spent I assume.
    Dnt ever say no to the wife again,, how could you. Hehe

Slade likes this.

Recent Posts