Shrimp setup

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Christiaan Duvenage, Mar 24, 2018.

1. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Short answer yes, longer answer LED chips are typically a combination of series and parallel wired circuits to form a light.

Later Ferdie

Innocent159 likes this.
  2. Guest

3. andries

andries

Not series as this will split the 220v or 12v in 2 to give 110v or 6v. But if you have like 18 12v lights and you put them in series with 220v supply, that's ok.(also not ok 'cause if one light packs up all are dead. OR shorts out, more volts and all blows sky-high). Parallel is giving each his own 220v or 12v.

Innocent159 likes this.
  4. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Ok so how does this look?I have to use every part of my pea size brain that hasn't been in school for 20 years at this late hour that has to be up at 5am to conjour up this diagram.:lol:
    20180325_221214.jpg

5. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Have to be honest .. lines are neat, good use of spacing, but no idea what you are connecting to what ;-)

you might be over complicating the thinking process - get the lights connect one check how it works then one can decide on the next light and the next and the next.

Later Ferdie

Innocent159 likes this.
  6. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Ok so I know now why I complicated the light wiring.I thought T8 LED's had connection pins at both sides of the bulb like normal T8's only to find out they only on 1 side i.o.w 2x connection pins(1x live 1x nutral).This is a diagram drawn by a electrician at work.So I'll be doing it this way then.
    15220528896991480145963.jpg

7. Pieter Henning

Pieter Henning

Hi Christiaan

I am also doing a new fishroom/shrimp room. For lighting i am useing 4014 led strips(1 meter) with aluminium strips mounted on19x3mm aluminium flatbar( to cool the led strips ) and a 12v 20 Amp power supply.My racks are 1.5meter x 600mm and are 600mm apart.

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

Pieter

Christiaan Duvenage likes this.
  8. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Nice Pieter.Ek dink ek moet 1 of ander tyd n draai maak en kom kyk.

9. Pieter Henning

Pieter Henning

Jy is welkom.Ek wil kyk of ek al die rakke kan klaar kry voor die naweek.

Pieter

10. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Ok lost you there just a tad.I understand the higher the wattage the more light you will have but will come at a power consumption cost.So at 500mm hight what wattage do you recon would suffice to get a PAR reading of 30-40 ? I'm really looking into the T8's LED's as a option as it is a simple plug and play sort of setup,and I have the led strips in mind.Will take initial purchase costs and longevity into concideration.

11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

not always ... you take the luminous flux (lumen) and divide that by the wattage of the entire unit. this gives you a ratio of amount of visible light per watt ... so think of it as efficiency to convert volts x current to light.

Now the better the quality of the fitting I typically find the higher that number .. a few moons back we got very excited about 66lm/watt for CFL see this thread.

Today I like to see > 100lm/watt before I even consider putting a light source on a tank.

But Led's are not all fun and games ... see https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/led-life-span.26316/

Strips are fine ... here are some test results on some of the more common light strips https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/diy-lighting-tips.26661/

Later Ferdie

12. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Lights,ticked off...Should get my shelves next week,5mm mild steel.
    20180329_173150.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Innocent159 likes this.
  13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Sjoe that is proper DIY ...

Since you are not using water proof strips or covers I would recommend a layer of Moto-Quip - Q30 Protective Film - water splashes, and it is the worst thing that a single drop can kill an entire string.
    Also run the voltage slightly lower than 12 volt, less heat and your LED will last way longer.

I see you only using 1 supply, here I would split it up - these supplies are not the greatest of quality and if you are drawing anything near the limits of the supply they tend to overheat - yes even with a fan. I have also seen that they do not like eskom spikes when at max so splitting it in two does help. BTW a faulty strip can cause all sorts of pain over time on your LED's or the supply. If you do not spot it ... well it becomes painful replacing power supplies all the time. Consider adding something like http://lantis.co.za/ocols/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1531 to your toolbox, getting an idea on the voltage / current over time helps to spot an issue before it really is one. I have in the past found over time that keeping these inline saved me on supply and strips ... quick glance allows for an easy tweak on the power supply on voltage.

Later Ferdie

14. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Hi Ferdi.I have a 30 amp power supply.12 strips at 1.5 amp per strip.Im going to mount the leds in there brackets and on 25mm x 3mm aluminium flatbar to help with cooling. Im also changing the current wiring to something thicker so it should be better.Will it last,I don't know.Its a experiment for me aswell as n have never done Led DIY before.There is a setting button to control the ampage and tweak it but i dont have confidence to go play around with it.Hope all goes well. I've heard guys blowing power supplies so I guess it's the risk n have to take as a learning curve.I also think it will be benifificial to take a precautionary action against water damage.Tnx for the info.

Moto-Quip - Q30Protective Film.....Where can I buy this? Won't it melt?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  15. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Thinking hard about it now...i will get a 2cnd power supply and split them....can only be beneficial right?Rather do things right from the start than suffering the consequences of taking short cuts.I apreciate you're input because you've been there and done that.I shall obey master haha.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  16. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Ok less than 12v.So 2 x 30 amp power supplies.6 x 1.5 amp LED strips per power supply = 9 amps on a 30 amp power supply,sounds like it will work fine and last longer?

f-fish likes this.
  17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah split the supply, much better. On those strips we drop the voltage to say 11.5volt .. things will be a bit dimmer but much cooler.

Slightly thicker cable is not a bad idea ...

Any hardware store should have it .. Q30 ( not the other Q's .. ) see https://www.takealot.com/moto-quip-q30-protective-film/PLID40661040 even Makro has it.

As for the temps ... if you keep it under 100 C you should be good. http://www.mantech.co.za/Datasheets/Products/Q30-400-171104A.pdf I have had no issues.

Remember only on the one side with the LED's and I would say after you have mounted them.

Later Ferdie

18. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Moving forward again....
    Got my shelves today(5mm mild steel sheets).Drilled and tapped all the holes for placement of LED's and steel air valves.Just finished red oxide base coat and black gloss finish coat.20180412_122400.jpg 20180412_131305.jpg
    Pics taken before paint dried.

19. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Air valves and LED's fitted.
    20180413_150458.jpg 20180413_175215.jpg

20. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Next level DIY - love it !!!

21. OP
    Christiaan Duvenage

Tnx Ferdi.I had to make the mounting brackets for the air valves,custom cap screws for the LED's myself,luckely I have the ability and resources to.Its been rewarding to see everything come toghether at the end.Still some work to do(connecting the wiring,and customising some LED's for 2 shelves and doing the airpypes) but trying to find time between work,kids,and other activities has been the challenge,but we'll get there;)
    20180414_081814.jpg Temporarily what it looks like now.I will continue this afternoon and tomorrow.Plan is to be finished by tomorrow.

Innocent159 and nate like this.

Recent Posts