Repashy

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Shlumpy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Shlumpy

Shlumpy

Hi,

im sure someone has done this here but I've seen Repashy all over except ZA, is there anything local that is similar to that?

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I've heard a lot about these products before, mostly good stuff. They seem to have a local site, but only for reptile products. You could contact them to see what they have to offer.

There is a store near me - United Reptiles - that apparently stocks the aquarium foods for this brand. But I'm yet to see anything for sale on the site, or in person.

4. OP
    Shlumpy

Shlumpy

thx, but are they the only ones that make something like this?

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I've been seeing a few gel foods recently, but haven't been quick to try them. Tetra has a series called Fresh Delica that's supposedly quite good. I recall seeing another fish food brand, but I can't quite remember which one it was...

Shlumpy likes this.
  6. OP
    Shlumpy

Shlumpy

thx ill keep an eye out

7. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

I contacted them directly on FB to find out if they import to SA, but they dont. Amazon US doesnt ship it to SA, Amazon UK also dont ship here. Something with out import legislation that makes it difficult to import their products.

A month or so ago somebody (possibly United Reptiles) posted an add on FB for it but the add was quickly removed, can only guess why.

Havent seen the gel foods @SalmonAfrica refers to (I will def check them out) but frozen foods is another option. I just checked Ocean Nutritiun’s website and there are 2 products, Spirulina Formula and Discus Formula that might come close. Dont know about other brands. Speaking under correction but the Prof(?) also makes his own discus food and sells to some shops.

Hope that helps.

8. hviviers75

hviviers75

I do have contact with a local importer for repashy, just asked her on facebook for her contact details. will post it here when i do have it. Might say it is a bit pricey :)

9. hviviers75

hviviers75

10. OP
    Shlumpy

Shlumpy

That's awesome thank you

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

11. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

12. hviviers75

hviviers75

Pleasure please give us feedback on the product, I viewed a few youtube vids on it and it seems like a decent product...

13. OP
    Shlumpy

Shlumpy

Hi,

Just got the pricelist Retail Fish.pdf

14. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

Paid Wednesday evening, got my parcel on Thursday. Great service from Elisha!

Lots of back and forth on emails but she fast on the response time.

Price wise, we live in SA, getting stuff here is expensive. Can compare with the prices on Amazon, add import tax, add postage and then you might come to a similar price to that on her price list.

Work out the price per gram, worhwile to go bigger but I got the small bottels to test it out first and see how long it lasts for me.

Lots of reviews on the web on the food. I will prepare mine over the weekend and just drop a comment on how the fish reacts to it......

5422357E-462A-4B0D-861E-8D549BDCD226.jpeg

15. OP
    Shlumpy

Shlumpy

Nice, please let us know how it goes

16. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

Quick Review:
    I made the Spawn & Grow this weekend.

Preparation - 1 part powder 3 parts water, per instructions. It sets as soon as it cools down to room temperature. I used a mini muffin pan and filled it no deeper the about 1cm. Depending on how thick your container is it can set within a few minutes. I spilled a few drops and it set almost immediately. Its a gel food and has the same consistency as normal dessert jelly.

The smell - a lot of reviews say it smells bad. I used 30ml, so a small amount, but was expecting the kitchen so fill up with a bad smell. It smells like wet dog food with pilchards in, and you have to stick your nose into the container to actually smell it. Unless the the other types of Repashy smells a lot worse and you are preparing huge amounts, the complaint about smell is exaggerated.

Fish response - I fed all my fish with the food, from plecos to cichlids, to see their response. I normally feed Tetra - Discus, Frozen Blood Worms, Live Daphnia, Live Mozzy Larvae, Hikari Algae Wafers, Frozen half cooked baby marrow, Prof's Frozen Discuss Food and Micro Worms. I expected a slightly better response to what the fish showed. The adult cichlids really went for it, perhaps slightly more compared to blood worms. Most of the fish ate it but cant say all of them went mad for it. I have only fed it once and the response might be better in subsequent feedings. Also, per instructions on the bottle, Spawn & Grow should not be fed as a staple diet due to the high fat content.

Conclusion - Its a great food for conditioning fish, especially cichlids, for spawning as part of a balanced diet.

17. WernerP

WernerP

I've asked around a lot. Not in the country. Have tried "similar" products (or so they said in store), but none that are gelatine based.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

18. WernerP

WernerP

All the videos I've watched sell it as a wonderfood! Disappointing that it isn't so well received.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Mixed reviews here.
    Marketing is excellent.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

20. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

Ok, made the next tipe - Morning Wood. Pretty much the same as the Spawn & Grow. Had a good response but not amazing. It might be that because I’m already feeding my fish a varied diet. So they are probably not lacking anything. Saw a video recently of a US breeder and they were feeding their fish kilograms of food weekly and part of their fish foods were Repashy. I cant comment on nuttitional value as I dont really look at those but of big breeders are feeding their fish Repashy then it should be good.

In conclusion taking both into consideration. Is it a good food, yes. Will I buy it again, yes. Is it a super amazing wonder food, no. It is a great food, dont get me wrong but the hype may have put expectstions too high.

Recent Posts