Red Zebra danios compatible with baby Bristlenose pleco ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by johnhoward.felle, Apr 14, 2018.

1. johnhoward.felle

johnhoward.felle

Hey guys. Today I got a new baby Bristlenose pleco and I was wondering if he will be fine housed with my two red zebra danios ? I have read online that they should be fine but I was just wondering if he danios will maybe nip as he is a baby. Thank you

15237332171541674340313.jpg

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

The danios prefer to stick to the top and middle layers, and the bristlenose likes to hang around the bottom. In any case, danios aren't inherently aggressive to other species, so no problems should occur here.

However, your danios would be much happier in a larger group - consider adding another 3 to 5 danios to the group. Seeing them school will be well worth it.

Regards,

johnhoward.felle likes this.
  4. OP
    johnhoward.felle

johnhoward.felle

Thank you very much. Also, the tank i set up for the pleco is brand new so there isn't any algae in it yet. I did drop two sinking algea wafers but my pleco hasn't touched them. I see he has been sucking on an ornament that was in my other tank though. Should I be worried? Or is it normal as he is still adjusting to his new surroundings ?
    Yes when i was researching today I did see danios like to be in larger groups so I will definently be adding some more in. Do they have to specifically Red Zebra Danios or could I get other zebra danios ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Any danios will work, they're bred into a few colour types.

Some fish take a few days to settle in, just make sure to remove uneaten food!

6. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Would those pellets happen to be the Tetra brand wafers? If so, I've noticed that my bristlenose don't seem to like them either. If they're really hungry, they'll eat a little, but prefer other foods. Fresh veggies are a better and cheaper option - sliced cucumber, peas, and lettuce, once weighed down, will be devoured by your fish. Be sure to rinse them properly first.

He's probably sucking on the ornament because it has a fine layer of growth on it - such as algae and bacteria - both of which are natural, nothing to worry about, and a welcome addition to the diet of your bristlenose.

Any "zebra" danio will do, regardless of colour.

Good luck!

7. OP
    johnhoward.felle

johnhoward.felle

Not the tetra brand, but I'm assuming they're the same. How do I prepared veggies for him ? And how much should I give him ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I've found Hikari brand tablets work best for them, up to a certain size.

General prep is washing nicely under a tap to get any pesticides off the produce. Then cutting it up to best expose the insides of the veggies, as they don't generally like feeding on the skins. You can blanch the food as well to soften it, but I've never found this to be necessary.

9. f-fish

f-fish unspecified

Concur .. added 3 of these guys a two weeks back - own raised fry - seem to have pairs in two other tanks - at around 3cm in size ..

SbEFRdsnJiBM8H_XRb2zencyzAMDtm1ofiRSRPNRrgOA1OjMIUiuD9TunP3AhsJaic46k278M3rQidsiw=w2200-h1241-no.jpg

did not see them till I rescaped the tank yesterday

eukvv0y1KE-z9EbwCb3Ju8s9_fSsgKGUA6sRUBaHz79Mfs29TgtJnvIJeap8pLroROKMdM8YxkCe6AI3FQ=w2200-h986-no.jpg

Added some cleaners this morning .. but they got taken out by the danio pack so won't be doing that anymore. I suspect some breeding could have happened - counted about 30 danios in the tank .. so it is nice and busy now that I made some space. I have not seen them even take a look at the BN .. so you should also be OK.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts