Pond fish? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by FOXLY, Sep 19, 2010.

1. FOXLY

FOXLY

Hi all, Tomorrow my small garden pond will be finished. It is quite small - 100 litres, any ideas on what fish I could put in there? Also, what would be the best plants would be to get to keep the water oxygenated? I'm not keen on gold fish, and koi get way too big.

2. Guest

3. TankMaster

TankMaster Apistogramma

Platies or Sword tails

4. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

and you need to setup a full filter system.

5. brads

brads

Hornwort is a good oxygenator of the water and is quite attractive ...as henk said you will need a filter if you want to keep any fish .....

6. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

7. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

Hi Foxly
    Jip,your pond is small,so no koi...Each adult needs at least 10x the amount of water you have...as for filtration - I have often used this as an "makeshift" filtration device in the past....Just fill a flowerpot with aquarium gravel and bury a small powerhead or pump in it(100 to 200 liters / hour) - crude I know,but sorta effective...control organic buildup by using an addative like aquazyme/eco Clear or Bio Vital..... Planting is up to what you like and what will grow in your area - Hornwort,Elodea etc. I have a big concrete pot used as a pond that has a wonderfull growth of Anubias in it - It dies back a bit in winter,but comes back in summer....In my pot I have some White cloud mountain minnows and some Rosy barbs - Although lost some of the barbs this winter due to the cold.... Years ago I also managed to keep Swords,Kribensis and Khuli loaches in my outside pond in Cape town...Hope this helps....

Recent Posts