Philips Genie 18w CFL daylight energy saver

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Reafer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Reafer

Reafer

Hi guys i have been in need of abit of extra light in some of my tanks and lighting for a 3ft tank. I didnt have cash for T5 lighting which would be ideal and i didnt really wantto waste money on T8's . I started to do some resurch on lighting and discoved that there is alot to know about the subject:eek: .
    So to get to the point i found that Philips has a CFL energy saver daylight bulb.

The specs are :
    18w
    1040 lumen
    58lm/w
    3 year lifespan
    energy saver
    Price : R37

Now i know that this bulb is not ideal for plant growth but my plants are loving it with no CO2 they are growing mad.I am not saying this is the salution for large tanks but for people with smaller tanks i feel that its a cheap way of lighting. All you need is a R3 screw in connection so no ballasts are needed. I put 3 into my 3ft tank and wanted to add 1 more to get to 1w/L but the way my plants are now growing i dont think its needed.
    Thanks
    Antony

2. Guest

3. superbole

superbole

Hi Reafer

Where do you buy these? I have not been able to find the Daylight bulbs. The best I have found are the Lumiglo ones from Checkers, and the only ones that are the right K value are the ones with day/night switches built in - I don't like paying for functionality which I have to circumnavigate by putting tape over the sensor to turn it on in the day...

Sheldon

4. Sean J

Sean J

The best light spectrum for plant growth is around 6500K, that's probably why your plants are doing so well.

5. stormbringer101

stormbringer101 ARO

any one know where in jhb you can get these ?sounds like a plan for my archer s tank they are spitting my lights caput and this seems to be a cheeper option

6. Khalid

Khalid Loricariidae

Reafer
    Without electrocuting yourself or the fish, how do you suspend the lights above the tank to avoid moisture , splashes and protection from spitting fish.

7. OP
    Reafer

Reafer

8. superbole

superbole

Thanks for the info Reafer!

Will drop past Lighting Warehouse and PnP to see what they got...

Sheldon

Recent Posts