Parents, Teach you children well.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

Don't you just find it extremely annoying / irritating when small preteens gets a thrill from seeing your fish dart about against the glass and ornaments when they tap against your glass.

Normally, I ignore this and hope the parents will at least pick up on my body language that I do not approve (and reprimand their cute little Brats), but I've since noticed that even some adults think it is adorable when their spoilt offspring enjoys the dillema of my fish.

I've now decided to take the law into my own hands and any damn little monster that dares touch the tank with their stickey hands for any reason whatsoever, will get a clip on the head in the presence of his parents....if they don't like it, they can leave him at home or better still, visit someone else...

Ryno likes this.
  2. Guest

3. shihr

shihr Glosso

haha.. i have the same problem.. when these little brats come over i end up watchin their every move instead of talking to the parents:p though i do try teach them the ins and outs of aquaria and the diff tempraments of each fish..they usually like that. :)

4. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Yeah this annoys the hell out of me as well, and its worse when they leave sticky marks from a sweet or food in the hand, and banging the glass is a no no i carry the child or ask a bigger child to 'stand behind this line' referinf to a tile edge on the floor, cos u can still see them from here dnt have to go so close

5. Xtreme Wife

Xtreme Wife

same problem, we have to think of something to do... :idea:, is there a way to electrify the front of the glass maybe... :bigsmile: ...and no i have been shocked so many times my heart runs on electricity, so I will not even feel it...lol. All jokes aside, I tell them they scare the fish and if they do it again i tap on their foreheads and ask if they like it?It works...lol

6. johan008

johan008

I have the same problem and it's not just the kids it's grown men that do it as well.
    I don't know why people think they have to tap on the glass for the fish to move just sit back and watch

7. Q89

Q89 Discus

I had the problem with my nieces and nephews(who is still very young, and don't have anything between the ears).

That was a problem till i gave my one niece a smack on the butt for hitting the tank with her fist!! (i don't get angry easly, but you don't want to be around if i do)

She started crying and ran to her mother, which made her mother angry with me and asking me why i hit her child, i told her what happen and she was ok with it.

(the news spread to all the other family children)

Now they only look at the fish from the door!!

Sucsess!!:bigsmile:

8. OP
    Cheetah

Well..... Q.... My daughter is now 31, (and a Vet) and my son 29 (and a Geologist)..... Please remind me not to bring my kids along when visiting you.......:bigsmile:..... You're lucky the mother was ok with that.... They normally side with the kids.

9. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

luckily for me my fish are ALWAYS moving hehe, no need to tap on glass to get a reaction from them :)

having said that, my approach is to get the kids attention right from the get go, as soon as they notice the fish tank, thats where they gonna go IMMEDIATELY, and i give them a "mini-lesson" sort of get them involved and i teach them that is ok to "touch lightly on the glass and the fish will follow your finger, but you must not tap or hit the glass" this normally works very well..

10. shihr

shihr Glosso

hmm.. so violence is the answer? hmm..

Ryno likes this.
  11. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

lol thats why so many of the kids are on drugs, perhaps a smack on the bum would deter them..

12. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

If a kid was to do this to my tank, I'd give the bl%dy parents a talking to. I'm sorry, I have not spent huge amount of cash on my hobby for some little snot-nosed kid (and his older teenage brother) to come and upset my harmony. I don't care who you are... you touch my tank, you deal with my wrath.

13. OP
    Cheetah

Saying it that way.... Seems like you've got somebody in mind already:bigsmile:

14. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Not really... but usually it's the teenagers that are the problem, and not the little kids. HEHE

15. Slojo

Slojo

Haha they already call me Uncle Monster.Kiddies visiting us know VERY well to stand a meter away from my tanks and only look with their eyes.:mad:

16. Firefly

Firefly Pleco

Set up a tank especially for that sort of thing. Make it an oscar or piranha tank and tell them to wiggle their finger in the water. 8P

17. Slojo

Slojo

Hahaha
    I used to do that with the Oscar tank.You should see the look on their faces.Even grownups got bitten.I tell then to handfeed the Oscars as they are tame as dogs.....................

18. Firefly

Firefly Pleco

WHOOT! That must have been fun!

19. mark d

mark d

if anyone taps on my tank glass firstly Ill beat the crap out of him.Secondly he will pay for my fish damage and equipment damage.

20. Nirv

Nirv Trachelyopterus

I've never had this problem, since I bombard people with information the second they enter my fishroom (which used to be my bedroom, and is now my living room). Just making the hobby sound slightly more complex than "just-add-water" fishkeeping keeps them quietly gawking at the tanks :D

21. Vis

Vis Gerhard

I simply tell them to stay away from the tanks when they enter the house. If they are to small to understand that I will tell the parents that there loose pieces of glass on top of my tanks and it would be in their best interest to keep the kids away.( O and it is true )

Luckily most of my friends have well behaved children and know that it is not right to tap the tank glass.

Recent Posts