Parasite or pest?

Discussion in 'Eastern Cape Aquatic Club' started by ???Brain, Dec 8, 2016.

1. ???Brain

???Brain

20161208_070922.jpg20161208_070914.jpg20161208_070847.jpg

Can anybody id this hitchhiker?

Sent from my SM-G361H using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Looks like some sort of leech to me.
    Did you add anything from a pond to your tank?

4. OP
    ???Brain

???Brain

Yes, plants

5. OP
    ???Brain

???Brain

Is there a way I can get rid of them without having to kill my shrimp and fry?

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Pick them out manually?
    Maybe use your hand as bait :eek:

???Brain likes this.
  7. dorff

dorff

I do not think these are leeches that will target humans. They may have been introduced by waterbirds, or by yourself with aquatic plants or fish. My take on it is that they are a potential threat to your fish, and should be eradicated if you can manage to do so.

Now, take this with caution: Leeches are annelids, and may be susceptible to mebendazole or fenbendazole. However, I have personally never tried killing them with these medications, and there seems to be a relative paucity of information on the topic. Low doses of mebendazole have been used to kill hydra and planaria, without killing shrimp in the same tank. Conflicting reports have it that shrimp died, while some planaria/hydra survived. So it is not clear-cut, and my uninformed guess is that it comes down to the species of shrimp, and species of pest. So if you feel adventurous, you can try this method under controlled conditions, and tell the rest of us whether it works or not. It will certainly be valuable information to have. Catch a few leeches and transfer them to a separate container, and test the efficacy of mebendazole at the concentrations given for hydra eradication. If it works, use two or three shrimp (if you have many) as guinea pigs, and then, if they survive, you can nuke the tank.

mik likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@???Brain ... I have tried to find something for you but it looks like you have a difficult task on your hands

In most cases, people land up taking down the whole aquarium to erradicate them by putiing the fish in a seperate tank and then treating the plants with the potassium permanganate and the soil and ornaments with bleech
    Most recomend the potasium permanganate to soak your plants and ornaments and salt treatment for the fish but I am not sure if shrimp can handle the salt treatment?

I also saw some recommendations of putting a piece of meat in a glass jar overnight to trap them but again I am not sure if you wont trap your shrimp too

The other thing you can do, I have done it many times and they have been very, very helpful everytime, usually you get an answer the same day
    Go to Seachem's website and send them an email. If there is something in their range that will help, they will tell you. You have nothing to loose

Quote off one of the websites:

Leeches are parasite that are easy to spot and identify as they tend to be large enough to be spotted with the naked eye. Leeches are worms that often appear hearth shaped as they curle themselves toward the body of the fish. Leeches attached themselves onto the body, fins or gills. Leeches can only be found in your aquarium if you have introduced them to your aquarium somehow. The main way to introduce leeches is with live food that has been caught in leech infested waters. Refraining from feeding live food you have not cultivated yourself and especial wild caught live food will dramatically reduce the risk of getting leeches in your aquarium. Leeches can also be introduced with new fish and plants. You should therefore carefully examine new fish and the water in the bag for leeches before letting the fish into you aquarium. Ideally you should also keep the new fish quarantined for a while to prevent introducing other diseases. Plants should also be inspected to avoid introducing leeches, and to be extra safe you can place new plants in a 5 mg/l potassium permanganate solution for about an hour before adding them to your aquarium. The potassium permanganate will kill any leeches that might hide among the plants in question.

It might be tempting to get a pair of pliers and manually remove the leeches from you fish but you should never do that. This is due to the fact that the leeches borrow themselves into the surface of the fish and forcibly removing them can cause serious damage to the fish. You should instead bath the fish for 12-15 minutes in a 2.5% salt solution. This will most likely cause the leech to release its grip on the fish and if it doesn't, it should at least have loosened it enough for you to be able to remove it using pliers without damaging the fish seriously. Never use this method on salt sensitive fish such as rays and certain catfish species. For salt sensitive species or if you prefer to medicate your entire tank (to make sure to remove all leeches) I recommend adding 0.25 mg Trichlorofon for every litre water in your aquarium If you choose to treat the entire tank I recommend digging up your plants and using the earlier mentioned method to kill any leeches that might be hiding.

9. Jwh

Jwh

If found these in one of my filters a while back, as said above hitch hikers on plants, rocks etc, especially from outside ponds.
    IME if you keep your water parameters good, they'll disappear in time.

10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@dorff,

Thanks for the info.

A few years ago, I was treating my tank with febendazole (had some Angels that were looking skinny)
    Anyhow, had forgotten about my Rabbit Snails.
    Remembered a few hours later and took them out of the tank, but it was too late, they all died

11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I have tons of Elodea in my pond, that my Dollars would go mad for.
    But am not prepared to take a chance in putting some in my tank. Never know what might get introduced.

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I also dont think i would take a chance of bringing things from the pond to the aquarium.
    They do say the potassium permanganate will kill all nasties without harming the plants but... I am still scared...

13. krg007

krg007

Hi there @MariaS, i have a bottle and have used it. Works wonderfully... Your snails are going to take a beating as mine did the first time. Took him out in time though.
    As for shrimps, I have no idea... One might have to start off with a quarter teaspoon and work your way from there.

14. krg007

krg007

15. mattie

mattie

Potassium permanganate will not only stain your silicone and water, but kill both your shrimps and your bio filter
    Rather get a quantel tablet sold at most pet shops and certainly all vets
    1 tablet is enough for up to 200Lt of water (crush and dissolve first)

16. OP
    ???Brain

???Brain

Will it be harmful to shrimp?

17. OP
    ???Brain

???Brain

I have potassium permanganate, i used it on my plants

18. OP
    ???Brain